You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » If ES wants to still be in 1st place...
Bottom
Topic Subject:If ES wants to still be in 1st place...
Bernardo
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-03 09:37 PM EDT (US)         
Look this is my humble observation about some aspects of Ages series of games.

I've played all, and all I've considered them great but with some flaws specially in military aspect.

My point is, has someone seen "Praetorians"? For the ones that have seen it, I consider that in what battle and military (Strategy and AI basically) concerns "Praetorians" is a lot better. For example, formations are useful, units are really effective against some other units and against others not, archers switch between fire arrows or normal ones depending on target, and such things.

I'm not trying to expand "Praetorians" publicity but to warn ES that they have to be better on such aspects if they still want to get the 1st place on RTS. Of course, this is my point of view and all this is relative.

AuthorReplies:
BlumenKohl
Skirmisher
posted 04-16-03 06:52 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
ES was in first place? Since when? RTS is being headed by Blizzard.

The Genetically Enhanced Cauliflower
Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
Click Here to visit my website.

DaMijit
Skirmisher
(id: tobymac)
posted 04-17-03 05:01 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
sale-wise, I think he was talking about strategy-wise.

Blizzard has only released one very strategic game.

You're cooler than me.
Distraught Runner-up to waveslave's --Survivor AoMH--

V
Battle Boar
Skirmisher
posted 04-18-03 06:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
There is NO tactic/ formation/ real war strategy in age series at all. We have been asking for terrain tactics and formation advantages for many years, but ES turned a deaf ear to us. And AOK and AOM have no strategy except the tasteless RUSHING. Is that real WAR?

I play AOK and AOM just because I liked AOE, which was good at that time but sucks nowadays. If the next age game still sucks so badly I will quit!

Praetorians rocks!

ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 04-18-03 12:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
Strategy -- the science of directing operations prior to the actual engagement of the enemy.

Tactics -- the science of disposing forces in action.

So what you are really asking for is a Real Time Tactical game (which is what I would consider Praetorians). Tactical games allow you to move formations around for different effects largely because you don't also have to manage a gigantic economy. Trying to manage both strategy and tactics can be a really frustrating experience.

Whenever we allow players who control specific units to have an advantage in combat, people complain that there is too much micromangement, and that the players who micromanage their armies more (pick individual targets, move wounded units out of combat, etc.) always win.

Consider if ambushing and changing formations had that big an effect on AOM's gameplay, you would still lose to the players with the fastest mouse control, but it might be even more frustrating because your large army could get beaten by a smaller one that was more tightly managed.

I just think they are two different types of games, and blending them doesn't work so well.

superdroideka
Skirmisher
posted 04-20-03 08:27 AM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
Praetorians doesn't have good formations either.
If you like formation stuff, buy American conquest or Medieval: Total war! (I've only played a demo of those games)

SUPERDROIDEKA
Nero
Skirmisher
(id: Richard the God)
posted 04-20-03 01:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
What use are formation when the units can slide right through each other?!I have the praetorians demo and thats what the units did.

NERO
"Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl."
- Bill Peterson, football coach

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames