You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » About what ES might be up with..
Bottom
Topic Subject:About what ES might be up with..
Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-04-04 12:45 PM EDT (US)         
As we all know, ES hasn't announced any new project for ages, and it's been almost a year since ES has released a game. They have told us that they were working on something, but what -- We have no idea.

I was wondering, what if ES isn't working on a game, but rather on a (game) engine? It could be well possible, because creating an engine and a game with it takes more then at least one year, especially when they are building one from the scratch.

Pro's? Con's? Suggestions? Remarks? Questions? Go ahead!

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
AuthorReplies:
InFnit
Skirmisher
posted 08-04-04 02:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
Wouldn't that mean that they won't be doing rts anymore? :|

-InFnit - Webdesigner - Graphic Designer - Webmaster
iidcentral - http://iid.outer-heaven.net- Most of your web designer needs in one place, stay up do date with net news and discuss problems you may have as a webmaster/designer
philopingo - http://www.philopingo.com- Philosophical Fiction by Young NZ Authors
total-designer - URL TO BE RELEASED - the gamespy/spot for scenarios/mods and campaigns
Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-04-04 02:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
Or an RTS with a new engine... can't say much on that one.

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
Stormboy
Skirmisher
posted 08-04-04 03:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
They got 4 games out of their Genie engine: AoE, RoR, AoK and AoC, not even counting the 2 SW:GB games by Lucas Arts. So far they've only made 2 games with the AoM engine. Wouldn't it make economic sense to try to get a few more games out of it, before retiring it and moving on to a new engine?
Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-05-04 05:16 AM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
Yes, I have thought of this too, but many gamers say that the engine wasn't what they expected. They had hoped for something better.

If you look at it this way, that can also mean they are going for another theme. They won't make a FPS with AoM engine...

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
Sam_Ham
Skirmisher
posted 08-05-04 02:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
they wont make a "shooting" game ffs...

they have an absolutely massive "age of" fan following, enjoying their unique high quality RTS's, they are not about to challenge Halo/Unreal tournament because a lot of their fans wont buy the game.

[This message has been edited by Sam_Ham (edited 08-05-2004 @ 02:23 PM).]

Compa_Mighty
Skirmisher
posted 08-05-04 02:29 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
They've said it's RTS. That's for sure. I also believe they're using the same engine.

In my opinion, they're just taking their time o make a really outstanding game.

Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AoM.
Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro to do The Hobbit!
Chichén Itzá is one of the New 7 Wonders of the World!
Kumar Shah
Skirmisher
posted 08-05-04 02:30 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
They are making an RTS 95% sure as I can determine from many of their posts here I have read over the period of years since AoM got released.

One post even suggested they are working on multiple projects at the same time.

I think that they might polish the AoM engine more for a new game, although of they develop a whole new one it would be sweet!

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-06-04 03:29 AM EDT (US)     8 / 20       

Quote:

In my opinion, they're just taking their time o make a really outstanding game.

I really really hope you're talking the truth here, Compa

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
Compa_Mighty
Skirmisher
posted 08-06-04 03:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
Me too, hehehe.

Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AoM.
Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro to do The Hobbit!
Chichén Itzá is one of the New 7 Wonders of the World!
Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-07-04 10:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 20       

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
SilverOsirisAOM
Skirmisher
posted 08-07-04 06:37 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
if they are indeed making a new engine, i cant see how much better it could be than aom's

I told you I'd be back.
rodrigo102920
Skirmisher
posted 08-07-04 06:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
maybe a more "efficient" engine. the new games have pop caps that are much higher than aom's. aom didn't actually has a lower pop cap (in general) than that of aok
SilverOsirisAOM
Skirmisher
posted 08-07-04 07:02 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
the popcap is for balance issues- not because the engine cant support it.

I told you I'd be back.
Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-08-04 11:24 AM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
To be honest -- it is. It can barely support more then 250 units without laggin on good computers (true), so making it more effienct so you can have more units at the same time could be one of the options.

This could also mean they are tweaking the engine, I don't think they need to design an engine from scratch for that

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
SilverOsirisAOM
Skirmisher
posted 08-08-04 12:34 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
well i can put 400 units on the screen and it doesnt lag. My computers not the best (but its pretty good).

I told you I'd be back.
Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-08-04 02:26 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
True, but Multiplayer means that there are more then 2 players who need the information, thus that will cause enormous lag right now.

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
rodrigo102920
Skirmisher
posted 08-08-04 07:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
well, hopefully we'll get some info soon, its been a while since the last we got news of a new game. i'm starting to loose faith that we'll get any news any time soon, since its been a while since E3, and no news. all we know is that they have projects, but every company has projects so thats not really news.
Rhineville
Skirmisher
posted 08-09-04 01:03 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
So far there's been a lot of talk about when this new game is gonna be released, but what about WHAT it will be?

I mean, es has covered so much ground in ancient warfare that it would only seem natural for them to push forward (in time that is)and do a modern warfare game.

Any opinions?

"Full they were of fighters and flashing shield-boards,
western war-lances and wound-blades Frankish;
cried then the bersarks, carnage they had thoughts of,
wailed then the wolf-coated and weapons brandished."
rodrigo102920
Skirmisher
posted 08-09-04 05:04 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
but i like ancient games, maybe a more indepth ancient game could be awsome. one from the stone age to dark age, that would be awsome. although, i can see that it is an unlikely timeframe for ES next game.
Rhineville
Skirmisher
posted 08-09-04 06:36 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
It seems like they were really reaching for something new in aom. something more "fantastic" than the others they had tried before.

i would also like an ancient game (namely because melee units add a lot of strategic "flavor" to the game)

who knows, they may even go back into a mythical time before the stone age.... kinda like a "lost age of man"

*snaps out of it* WOW, too much pepsi and doritos for this kid....

"Full they were of fighters and flashing shield-boards,
western war-lances and wound-blades Frankish;
cried then the bersarks, carnage they had thoughts of,
wailed then the wolf-coated and weapons brandished."
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames