Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » romans waste of time
Bottom
Topic Subject:romans waste of time
Starvin Marvin
Skirmisher
posted 08-15-04 04:05 AM EDT (US)         
there is absolutley no point in adding romans in AoM2.
the roman gods are just rip-offs of the greek gods because the first romans wernt creative.
so why the hell would ES put them in the game. if you want them to be in a historical setting then they will be the exact same as the greeks but with diffent names.

feel free to flame me and disagree.

Yes. My weather control machine is almost complete.
How do you feel about that Broccoli?...
ARE YOU MOCKING ME?!?!?!
Stewie, family guy
AuthorReplies:
OutThere
Skirmisher
posted 08-15-04 05:49 AM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
*flames*
*disagrees*
The thing is Marvin there most likely not making an Aom2, rather, an Aoe3.

[This message has been edited by OutThere (edited 08-15-2004 @ 05:50 AM).]

Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 08-15-04 06:15 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
Assuming what we thought actually mattered:

You're wrong. Gods and myths change over time, so even if a Roman god was originally exactly the same as it's Greek counterpart, a few hundred years, contact with other cultures, various crises and tragedies, will all take part in modifying the myths. The end result is something that's fairly distinct from it's original form.

Take Egyptian mythology, for example. They could have made for completely different cultures using only Egyptian mythology; this is simply because the myths and gods changed drastically over the course of ancient Egypt's 3000+ year history.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

[This message has been edited by Meteora (edited 08-15-2004 @ 06:15 PM).]

El Moppo
Skirmisher
(id: C J)
posted 08-16-04 01:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
The Romans took gods from pretty much every area they conquered. Not just Greece, they just happen to be the ones people remember.

][- ][_ . ][\/][ (()) ][) ][) (())
Angelcynn > Niwe Middangeard ~ Ic
SandyMan
VIP
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 08-16-04 02:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
Yes the Romans adopted the myths of the Greek gods and tacked them onto their own gods, but this doesn't necessarily make them "the same". For one thing, there was not complete overlap. The Greeks had no equivalent of emperor-worship or Janus. The Roman worship system was quite different. Eventually they began to ignore their old gods, and in their place adopted Eastern sects such as Mithras, Sol Invictus, or Christianity.

Even if they had the same main gods as the Greeks (Jupiter, Pluto, Neptune), some of the subcults would be different, and the Roman CULTURE would be totally different. They would require a totally different method of gaining Favor, a different roster of troop types (no hoplites for the Romans), a different Hero system, etc.

So even if their gods had similarities to the Greek gods, the Roman civ would be quite different from the Greek ones in play. Good grief - imagine if you played a Norse civ with Egyptian gods & god powers. Think how bizarrely different that would be. The Romans would be like that, except better-balanced to work within the civ powers.

Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-04 03:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
Does your sudden reply here about this topic, defending the Romans means you might put Romans in a future ES game?

Sorry for asking, I'm like an annoying papparazi

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
SilverOsirisAOM
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-04 03:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
hah, i hope so id love to see romans in aom. Potentially is ES did a bad job they could be the same as Greek, but ES does not do bad jobs, so they would make it very diferent. The only problem i see is that they already have a Greek Spinoff (Attie) and although Roman gods are different, they are still similar to Greek, and having 3 Greek mythology-ish civs could get boring. I would rather see Persian or Chinese.

I told you I'd be back.
Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-04 03:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
I'd rather see AoE 3, I started playin AoC today, and now I remember how good the old days of uber micro where.

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-04 04:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       

Quote:

Does your sudden reply here about this topic, defending the Romans means you might put Romans in a future ES game?

I'm pretty sure he was just shooting down an irrational belief.

But you never know.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Yohan Hoogland
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-04 06:05 AM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
And that's why I asked

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
SandyMan
VIP
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 08-18-04 02:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
All I'm saying is that while Roman GODS are superficially similar to the Greek, the Roman Culture, Army, and Civilization couldn't be more different. For example, the Romans should NOT get Fame by praying at temples! They should not have individual named heroes like the Greeks. Their soldiers and method of warfare are totally different from Greek. Their economy should not work the same way.

All these differences could make for a really interesting civilization, even if we decided to make the gods the same. The gods aren't the only difference between civs, you know.

Austin Powers
Skirmisher
(id: Emperor_Julian)
posted 08-18-04 02:36 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
I think Sandyman is giving us a hint.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
S p l a t
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-04 06:04 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
Maybe he knows all of this because he has had to reasearch it for their newest game... Hmm...

;-D

Zappos
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-04 08:51 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
Of course, the real question is, *if* ES plans to use the Romans for AOM 2, what other new civilizations would be at least moderately appropriate for that era?
El Moppo
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-04 07:52 AM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
Carthage, Gaul, Celts, Egypt, Assyria?

SilverOsirisAOM
Skirmisher
posted 08-20-04 01:09 AM EDT (US)     15 / 20       

Quote:

Carthage, Gaul, Celts, Egypt, Assyria?

What are you smoking, they already have Egypt.

I told you I'd be back.
Mythos_Ruler
Skirmisher
posted 08-20-04 02:32 AM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
Gauls were Celts, just some FYI. Assyrians were destroyed while Rome was still a little fishing village dominated by the Eutruscans. The thing is, when Greece came to power, Egypt had already waned and the Nordic culture had yet to wax, so "eras" really don't matter. We're talking about pitting cultures and their mythologies together, so time and distance means little, other than they should all appropriately be the same level of technology to feasibly be convincing together.
Austin Powers
Skirmisher
posted 08-20-04 07:57 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
What! Greece totally affected Rome! It fought with Hannibal in the Punic Wars and many more!

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
El Moppo
Skirmisher
posted 08-20-04 03:05 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
The Greeks fought the Celts on a few occasions didn't they? The Keltoi, as they called them. Celts and Greeks can be in one game.

BTW, those were just random civs I thought up that were from the approxomately correct era, and I know the Gauls are Celts, I just couldn't remember any other specific tribes. Oh, Iceni.

What about Phonecia? Though they'd probably be better of in a game set a bit earlier, plus they'd have a similar set of gods and mythologies to Carthage.

[This message has been edited by C J (edited 08-20-2004 @ 03:07 PM).]

Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 08-20-04 03:11 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
As Mythos said, time periods and location is irrelevant for this game. The Romans could be in the same game as the Chinese and the Aztecs, if their mythologies were to work out.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Austin Powers
Skirmisher
posted 08-20-04 04:03 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
Carthage was originally a Phoenician colony

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
You must be logged in to post messages.