Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » ow... very sad
Bottom
Topic Subject:ow... very sad
Ferdinand Gwonch
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-05 00:14 AM EDT (US)         
i'm very sad because AOE3 will exclude everything that is not related to conquest/colonization of American continent

Where are the Turks, Arabs, Indians (from India), Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Russians (will they be there?), Prussians, Bantu, Americans and so many other civilizations, from the same era, that will be so uglily ignored?!

OWN GOAL

[This message has been edited by Ferdinand Gwonch (edited 02-13-2005 @ 03:54 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Red Storm
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-05 00:17 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24       
In the expansion, of course.
tarmo_flake
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-05 00:29 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
Age of Empires 3: the forgotten civs Expansion?

"Society has traditionally alwalys tried to find scapegoats for its problems, well, here I am." - Marilyn Manson, 1996
WH_demoneyekyo
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-05 01:20 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
i doubt they'l add more nations in expansion. since typically expansion don't add a lot (except for ron.which adda hell lot). so.if they do add.........most likel it will be like 2-3 nations. since noob will start crying about complexity & crap.
lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-05 01:55 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
Certainly the expansion will have fewer new civs than the Conquerers did. Frankly we'll be lucky if there's three. The complexity of the individual civs forces such a situation. If the game truly becomes great it should be graced with second expansion.
Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-05 05:13 AM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
I know I’ve said this a lot, but Colonisation is the only way that an AoE style game can get into the 1500s to 1700s period. All of the Nations that would feature in a game were well established in the Old World in 1500; there wouldn’t be the necessary build up from humble beginnings that characterises Age games.
Morgenstern
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-05 06:53 AM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
Prussians will be there, and the others, yes, they might wait until the expansion comes out
w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-05 08:54 AM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
Yeah, there'll be some sort of Germanic civ in there somewhere. Dunno' whether it'll be Prussia or the Holy Roman Empire or whatever. I mean they could use the Empire, but it's more a border than a country.

A lot older, though no wiser.
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 02-13-05 09:11 AM EDT (US)     8 / 24       

Quote:

i'm very sad because AOE3 will exclude everything that is not related to conquest/colonization of American continent

In which case, it would cease to be AoE III, mate. Think logically, this thread has been a repeat of numerous others, and you're not changing ES's game just by posting it.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
type name here
Skirmisher
posted 02-20-05 09:26 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
Actually, once you think of it and look at the facts, it is very possible for an expansion, of course I'm not quite convinced that there will be. In 1421, China was the most powerful and advanced country (don't give me any of that, o they have a large population, that's why there powerful garbage), at that time they had already begun to start voyages to colonise other worlds. Africa is a very good example of China's influence that has reached across the sea. There is even confirmed information of China arriving on North America before any of the europeans. I think that it would be a good Idea for an expansion, but don't cross you fingers, cause it probably won't happen.

"It's called a retreat, not a defeat"
"Quand la Chine s'éveillera, le monde trembera" Napoleon Bonaparte
john the savage
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 02:56 AM EDT (US)     10 / 24       
I think if there is any Ex pack it will deal with Australia (fingers crossed) or more generaly oceiania and south east asia. I mean almost everyone had a colony round here, the Germans had New Guinea, the dutch hung onto indonesia until the seventys, It would give all the Japenese fans a chance to play there favotite civ, etc...

& and you could have a canable civ... kill the other players units and then eat them

[This message has been edited by john the savage (edited 02-21-2005 @ 03:01 AM).]

Sweeping Pigeon
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 04:34 AM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
Yes, An expanison focusing on Australia would be good. They would likely include Asia and africa though.

This has been an advertisement on behalf of the labor party. Please wash your hands
daydreamer
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 04:49 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
An expansion about Africa would be great, although the colonisation happened late in Age Of Empires 3 terms.

Quote:

almost everyone had a colony round here

That counts too for Africa: Brittish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Belgians, Germans and Italians had colonies over there.

I really hope there come several X-packs so aoe3 will handle once the whole world.

Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 05:15 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
Why several? Asia, Africa, India and Oceania can all be in a single X-Pack, in the same way that the AoK expansion looked not just at America but also the Huns, Koreans and Spain.
daydreamer
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 05:59 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
Uhu, but if they make several, they could do each one better. Like add a lot of diversity for example: animals, tribes, nature...
Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 06:35 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
Yes, but I don't want to have to wait 5 years for AoM II
Zalath
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 02:59 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
Could all the kids stop bitching about the irrelevant stuff? The American continent was the one chosen for this game, end of story. An expansion might add other continents to conquer as well, but it will probably be limited to pretty much that. It doesn't really matter which civs you want added, because when it comes to reality the European nations stood on the top of the ladder by themselves. From the beginning of the age of discovery, European nations pretty much conquered the rest of the world without meeting with any noteworthy resistance. They were technologically wastly superior to the natives (including wannabe-empire such as the Japanese).

I don't mind if you include other nationalities as natives of other continents in an expansion, but adding them as playable civilizations would be ridiculus.

daydreamer
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 03:26 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24       
Nah, who sais I want the tribes playable? I just want to see the whole world covered in aoe3-expansion(s).
I'm like you convinced that if there should come new nations they had to choose from Italians, Belgians, Venice, Irish, Russians, countries that are forgotten in aoe3 (and in my list) and maybe even Ottomans.
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 03:35 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
but they have to be nations that have to do something with colonisation.
THE_champion95
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 03:38 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24       
Exactly what do Turks and Arabs have to do with colonisation. India is fair enough because the British did colonise India.

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
daydreamer
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 03:52 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
Italians colonised parts in Africa and Belgians colonised Congo/Zaïre; but those two kingdoms were founded relatively late.
SuperTr00pers
VIP
posted 02-21-05 06:08 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24       

There are many civilizations that may not make it into the game. However with the editor you should be able to make your own campaigns or tell the story of your favorite imperial struggle.

If you feel strongly about a particular story we will give you the tools to tell it.

[D4KU]

ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 02-23-05 01:04 AM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
It's easy to have dozens of civs if the only difference is the name of the civ. Is is really that great an accomplishment to say you have Bantus and Koreans if they all look like French?

We chose this time to go with a small number of civs and make them very different.

We chose to go with a limited geography so we could focus on making a few landscapes look great instead of a lot of landscapes look medicore.

We chose to focus on the new world so players would get the look and feel of the game. "Colonization of the new world," has a pretty specific meaning to most folks. "The entire world in 1700" is a harder topic to capture the essence of.

lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 03:45 AM EDT (US)     23 / 24       
I think most people understand the reasoning behind those decsions. Its hard to go from 17 civs{I think} in Conquerers to 8 in this when you haven't seen the changes, improvements, uniqeness of the civs in action because everybody is looking at the game from an AoC perspective. Reading it on paper doesn't give a real clear idea but once people get a taste of the actual game there will be a better understanding.
One_Dead_Angel
Seraph in Absentia
(id: One_Dead_Villy)
posted 02-23-05 04:21 AM EDT (US)     24 / 24       

Quoted from "type name here":

In 1421, China was the most powerful and advanced country (don't give me any of that, o they have a large population, that's why they're powerful garbage)

Actually its quite a good point that China was (and in fact will be) powerful because of its large population. That's not to take anything away from the ingenuity (or whatever other positive) quality of its people. If you believe the theories expressed by (Jared Daimond in "Guns, Germs and Steel"). A large population is a GOOD thing for a civilization if they strive be great. In that any civilization can be great, but one that has a large encough population base has a better chance to get that 1 in a million genius (and of course create an economic base, assuming the geography can support that population).

As far as the game is concerned....if it allows a good amount of modding (without too much pain), then I think the fan community would be more then sufficient (given ES's fan base) to create all the civs you want.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 02-23-2005 @ 04:23 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames