You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » 17th century unit speculation!
Bottom
Topic Subject:17th century unit speculation!
Billman
Skirmisher
posted 02-20-05 05:07 PM EDT (US)         
On to the 1600's.

I'm guessing that the second age will cover the 1600s, and probably be called the 'Colonial Age' or something, as this was the era of the many colonies being established by many nations.

Around the 1630's, the golden age of piracy was beginning.

Trade was booming for a lot of nations - especially the United Provinces.

Muskets were the main weapon, with bayonets being introduced later on in this era.

Spainish empire was in a slow decline.

English Civi War.

So much stuff happened in the 17th century, I could go on, but I can't be bothered. :P

So onto the units we want to see! Please contribute.

Remember it's all speculation - unless it has been confirmed by a screenie or something!

General
Officers
Drummers
Flagbearers
Armoured/unarmoured pikemen
Engineneers
Hunters/trappers
Bucanneers - basically hunters. Uses 2 large knives and a long-barrel musket.
Musketeers
Dragoons
17th century cannon
Howitzers
Mortars

Exploration/scouting ship. Perhaps a yacht? Excellent POS, but not strong enough to battle 1 on 1 with a medium-sized ship.

Whaling-ship. A medium sized ship that is used for whaling. When its near a whale, two or more whaling boats are released from it to harpoon the whale. Whale could provide much more food than the regular fishing ships.

Britain
New model army units
Redcoat musketeers (confirmed)

France
Coureur - French unique villager that doubles as light infantry.
Cuirassers - Heavy cavalry. The only armour they wear is the cuirass, which protects the torso from bullets and splinters.

Holland (UP}
Dutch trade carts - can collect much more money than regular carts. Also a little faster than regular ones.

Dutch Flute - trade vessel, very cheap to build and generate more money than regular trade vessels. Armed with cannons, but has low hp.

Spain
Armoured musketeers
Amoured Pikemen

Mercenaries
Privateers - These vessels will chase low level enemy ships, as well as pirates.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

[This message has been edited by Billman (edited 02-21-2005 @ 06:49 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
jakes_button
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 00:30 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Hessian musketeers were more of an 18th century unit weren't they? I know the British used these specialized German troops against us Yanks during the Revolution but I'm not so sure they were around in the 1600's. I could be wrong.
john the savage
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 02:35 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
hows about an exploration ship- greater LOS and maybe slightly faster than normal.

or a whaling ship with maybe two little longboats with it *credit to Billman*

[This message has been edited by john the savage (edited 02-21-2005 @ 03:46 AM).]

Jr_Capablanca
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 08:24 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Hello!
I think it is very likely that we will see Cuirasieres (sp?) in the 17th century.
/Capa
vikesrule1234
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 09:56 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
maybe you would be able to liek recruit pirate vessels to prey on ur enemies ships

CHEAP TRICK
WAT A BAND
Billman
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 10:22 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       

Quote:

Hessian musketeers were more of an 18th century unit weren't they? I know the British used these specialized German troops against us Yanks during the Revolution but I'm not so sure they were around in the 1600's. I could be wrong.

Yep, they were around the 18th century. My bad. I had the 1700's on the brain for some reason.

Quote:

I think it is very likely that we will see Cuirasieres (sp?) in the 17th century

Yes, it's probably very likely - I'm pretty sure that France gets a unique cav of some desciption.

Shade4
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 11:54 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
LOL u see pireate ships and The Black Pearl suddenly appear out of nowhere and own all of ur ships that would be pretty funny if u could recruit it.
lief ericson
Skirmisher
posted 02-21-05 06:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
ES said in an interview that Curiassers would be French UU's.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
Jr_Capablanca
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 05:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Hello!

Quote:

Yes, it's probably very likely

Quote:

ES said in an interview that Curiassers would be French UU's.

Ok, sounds nice. Do you know if france (and other countries as well) will have many UU`S or just one like in the old AoK?
/Capa
w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 01:23 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
I think everyone will have at least two unique units. Seeing as there are only eight playable civilizations, I expect they will have around six, or something.

A lot older, though no wiser.
w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 04:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
BTW, Billman, when you've done all four of these posts (16th, 17th, 18th, 19th) - can we have ALL the ideas together in one nice, neat post, so everyone can comment on them all?

Cheers, and also, we may know some more units that are in the game by then, anyway, which will be cool.

I really wanna' see Roundheads in the New World

Billman
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 04:56 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       

Quote:

BTW, Billman, when you've done all four of these posts (16th, 17th, 18th, 19th) - can we have ALL the ideas together in one nice, neat post, so everyone can comment on them all?

Yep, good idea.

Quote:

I really wanna' see Roundheads in the New World

That would be cool. ....even better if we have an Oliver Cromwell hero unit.

[This message has been edited by Billman (edited 02-22-2005 @ 04:57 PM).]

w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 04:59 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
lol what makes me wonder is whether you'll be able to build new model army stuff as well as the old royalist cavaliers and musketeers lol.

I guess it could be up to the player which type he built though, to retain some sort of realism.

What would be interesting (if unlikely) would be if ES adopted an EU2 style event chooser. For example, when the Civil War comes around it'll clearly influence your Home City and country as a whole, so you could maybe choose which side you want to go with - or it could be out of your hands (random)?

A similar system would work for other countries' events.

Just an idea

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames