You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » What will keep Population in check?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What will keep Population in check?
barley_n_oats
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 12:59 PM EDT (US)         
Everybody's talking about how big the pop cap should be.

But a more important question would be how will it be maintained? I'm assuming we must be able to fight to expand and the more we expand, the more population we are able to get.

In AoK, you had a set limit and you could reach that limit by building houses, castles, and TCs

In AoM, you could max out on houses and expand your pop cap by building on Settlements.

Now, how will we be able to control our population in AOEIII?

ESO: oats
ESO2: dirtyoatmeal
AuthorReplies:
WH_demoneyekyo
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 01:13 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
enemy will keep it in check.

unless u ahev a noob as enemy.

a good player will never gonna wait till ur army is about the right size for a battle. they will constantly attacking while its to their advantage.

some of u mihgt be thinking about peace lke this:

player a: can u wait like 20 min?
player b: why?
player a: caz my army is not large enought
player b: okei.let meet at the center 45 min from now
player a: kk

Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 05:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       

Quote:

player a: can u wait like 20 min?
player b: why?
player a: caz my army is not large enought
player b: okei.let meet at the center 45 min from now
player a: kk

No, Iíve never played a game like that

DarckRedd
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 06:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
That's the point.

Anyhow, I think that ES might incorporate a territory-based system; the number of units you can control is directly proportional with the territory under your command.

| D A R C K R C D D |
rippy
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 07:39 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
^^^^^^ That'd be cool, but it'd be hard to get constant numbers for it. Your pop cap would be popping back and forth like a fenris wolf pack's attack power.

"Build a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and you warm him for the rest of his life." -Chinese proverb

"If MacGyver and Jack Bauer were in a fight, Chuck Norris would win."

Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 08:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       

Quoted from Comrade DarckRedd:

Anyhow, I think that ES might incorporate a territory-based system; the number of units you can control is directly proportional with the territory under your command.

Something like this was trialed for AoM, but then abandoned. Itís a great way of preventing the Ďn00b walls himself in and makes 60 FU war elephantsí situation, but it may make booming overpowered and prevent players from making comebacks when they start to get rolled back.

mikinaak
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 08:18 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
I think it will be the fact in allying with Indian Nations, it is a major part of each game, the units and techs that you get from them will keep people expanding to ally more. Besides DeathShrimp said there will be ways to cheat above your population cap.

all will be well

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 02-22-05 08:22 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Quote from DeathShrimp:

Quote:

2) It won't use an AOM system, where you have to steal pop from the enemy in order to have a larger army. (Though there are some fun ways to "cheat" above the pop cap that we can't talk about yet.)

So I guess the proportional thing won't be there.

tunamin
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 08:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
i did not like how the population sistem worked in aom and i hope es will not make units take like 6 pop slots i want only like 2 i hope
Red Link
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 09:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
I think the population should be higher then previous games because this game deals with expansion and revolution. And by the way, what do you guys think of immigrants (in the game)?
Darko Lawless
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 10:21 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
I think it will just be the same as AoK, just higher.

Hail me, for I have the loudest voice!
Gamer man
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 11:57 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
pop should be just that, population, the amount of soldures who will need to be housed, thus the same for cavalry as infantry, and more for cannons as they use larger crews.

hmm cheating the pop cap, sounds like an old Age of Empires 1 trick, i loved that AoE trick.

Moooers are remembered, chirpers never die, splashers are invincable

Andre
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 03:51 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
Please read all information required here:
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,21282,0,10

And please post there if you have something new to contribute to the topic. Even though I doubt that

regards
------
Zone name: Pullkick
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames