You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Biological Warfare in AOE III?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Biological Warfare in AOE III?
Inkster
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 01:09 PM EDT (US)         
Sporadic instances are recorded of the use of biological ammunition in medieval siege warfare. At Thun L’Eveque in Hainault (now northern France) in 1340, the material was dead horses and other animals. At Caffa in the Crimea in 1346 it was human plague cadavers. And at Karlstein in Bohemia in 1422 it was human battle casualties and waste of some kind—probably human and animal manure. The
purpose was almost certainly to transmit disease. In midieval medical theory the stench of rotting organic material was thought to be a potent cause of disease. And in two of the three written records we have of these events, the victims interpreted the stench resulting from biological aggression as the cause of subsequent disease.

http://microbiology.ucdavis.edu/faculty/mwheelis/BW_history.pdf

Now how sick would that be if were were able to launch plagued human cadavers over the walls of a "turtling opponent"

This was a real method use throught history in warfare. With the creation of Universitys etc... should come the tech of biochemistry warfare.

Just imagine your in a long battle, you haven't a clue whats going on but all your villagers are slowing down, starting to cough, turning black in color. Then 1 by one they start to die off. You can't reproduce them fast enough. Soon the lack of resources efferts your battle efforts.

Awwww man this could be ingenious.

To counter it you would have to have a universtiy also and perhaps develope an cure or something.

Just so food for thought

AuthorReplies:
WH_demoneyekyo
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 01:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
O_O

i can kinda imagine the type of player i'll see online (lmao lmao).

let just keep it as a typical AOE game.

no non-sense like:
magic ( vodoo, or poison ,etc),making babie, eating dead people, raping villi, etc.

Clix
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 08:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Ya i agree, keep it straight up old school @$$ kicking w/out all the nonsense.
lief ericson
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 09:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
Oh yes, because trebs are straight up ass-kicking, no nonsense fighting.

It'd be a cool idea, but due to political correctness issues, concerning biological warfare against the Native American populations, I doubt it.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
First_Timothy
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 09:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       

Quote:

launch plagued human cadavers over the walls of a "turtling opponent"

Quote:

Then 1 by one they start to die off. You can't reproduce them fast enough. Soon the lack of resources efferts your battle efforts

If he's turtling, there is no battle effort going on. If he's turtling and you are outside his walls with trebs, you've already won.

»»─ First_Timothy ─> 1 Timothy 1:5 <─ The goal is love. ─««
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 09:53 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       

Quoted from WH_demoneyekyo:

let just keep it as a typical AOE game.

Inkster actually brought up a very good idea, especially during this time period regarding the use of diseases as weapons.

During the colonization of America, the Europeans did employed such methods as means of killing the natives.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Europeans also brought diseases against which the Native Americans had no immunity. Ailments such as chicken pox and measles, though common and rarely fatal among Europeans, often proved fatal to Native Americans. More dangerous diseases such as smallpox were especially deadly to Native American populations. It is difficult to estimate the percentage of the total Native American population killed by these diseases, since waves of disease oftentimes preceded European exploration, sometimes destroying entire villages. Some historians estimate that up to 80% of some Native populations may have died due to European diseases.

Source: Wikipedia

Quoted from Clix:

These "nonsense" would lead to more diverse military options. Let's say that you're losing the battle and must abandon your town - instead of letting your opponents take over the natural resource (gold, wood, building spaces, etc.), you infect the area, causing it to be a temporarily nonsuitable place for the enemy to send their villagers there without getting infected and slowly die.

Makis
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 10:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
Not sure if any of you have played it but the game Strongholds has exactly this. You can have your catapults switch from firing rocks to firing dead cattle, it really tears through infantry. It is a cool feature but I honestly doubt it will show up in AoE III.

"Save yourself a penny for the ferryman, save yourself and let them suffer..."
Mythos_Ruler
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 11:54 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
DarckRedd
Skirmisher
posted 02-22-05 11:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I don't remember any cow throwing unit, but someone modded AoK to have a cow-throwing treb.

| D A R C K R C D D |
Andre
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 02:51 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Even though I do not think this feature will make it into AOE3, I like the suggestion and think it is really creative.

But maybe it is more suitable for another RTS. In AOE all offensive measures a player can take have an immediate and obvious effect.

I think for such a fast game like AOE a weapon which has an effect which might last for 60 or 120 seconds in the game and such a high chance, that the enemy player does not even note it (do you check ALL your bases every minute so long that you could actually note that?), is inappropriate.

If it would be a weapon only usable once, and is indicated to the player by a message on the screen, OK, but that would equal a god power from AOM and we will not have those.

But as a suggestion alone I like it, especially since it is something new, we did not have, yet.

regards
------
Zone name: Pullkick
Openfire
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 07:33 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
2 words, cheat code

*Is still lurking here* (Actually, no.)
Jr_Capablanca
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 08:07 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Hello!
This sounds like a bad idea. It is not serious.

Quote:

I reallty can`t say it better myself.

It is not realistic either. And just because the europeans brought diseases "against which the Native Americans had no immunity", that does not mena that they brought those diseases intentionally. And to that, the entire idea is unrealistic.
/Capa

Andre
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 08:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
@Jr_Capablanca
If a city or castle is under siege for months this is a good strat. And if Inkster's historical facts are correct it has been used.

So why is it unrealistic?

The argument with the Europeans bringing deseases to the native Americans came up later. I agree on your point that this was not intentional.

But I can see that throwing dead animals at somebody gives the impression of intentional acting in some way. Nobody does this for fun

regards
------
Zone name: Pullkick
Jr_Capablanca
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 09:29 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
Hello!

Quote:

And if Inkster's historical facts are correct it has been used.

In middleage Europe, yes. Has it been used in the new world?

Quote:

So why is it unrealistic?

Most good generals used other things than dead dogs to fight their enemies.
/Capa
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames