You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Naval Campaigns: Hornblower? Aubrey?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Naval Campaigns: Hornblower? Aubrey?
barley_n_oats
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 11:25 AM EDT (US)         
These are pretty old book series about heroic fictional characters during this time period. Both were or became British captains who were able to use their wit to defeat their enemies.

Horatio Hornblower is loosely based on the history of Horatio Nelson among other great seamen. He is extremely capable as a young officer in the Royal Navy, meeting Spanish fireships and commanding sea battles.

Jack Aubrey is another fictional captain dubbed "lucky jack" for his unbelievable feats. This world came to life on the movie screen in "Master and Commander," w/ Russel Crowe in the title role.

Since AOEIII is supposed to feature its new ship model, what better time is it to have a campaigned based on them?
Better question would be: Has anyone even heard about these characters?

ESO: oats
ESO2: dirtyoatmeal
AuthorReplies:
Eric D
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 11:46 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
There is only one campaign. You could design your own though. And yes, I've heard of them.
British Patriot
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 12:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Why only Hornblower and Aubrey? Whatever happened to Richard Bolitho?

Eternal rest give unto them O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon them,
May they rest in peace.
Amen.
w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 01:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Why not just Nelson himself?

A lot older, though no wiser.
Mechstra
Banned
posted 02-23-05 01:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Aubrey's adventures are actually based largely on the life of Admiral Thomas Cochrane - he's not entirely fictitious.

The problem with naval campaigns is that unless the game accurately represents naval combat (and it won't, I can tell you now) then it'd be pretty boring. Especially given that if you're making it realistic or making it follow the plot of the books, it would only feature the occasional battle, usually single-ship; without an interesting naval battle mechanism (even a simple 'raking' feature would be something, but don't expect it) these battles would be mind-numbingly bleurgh.

w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-23-05 01:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
In one of the recent interviews, ES said something about meeting familiar faces along the way - in reference to the campaign.

So, hopefully, we'll get to see Nelson somewhere towards the end of the game

A lot older, though no wiser.
Zargax
Skirmisher
(id: Overlord Zargax)
posted 02-23-05 05:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
I would really like a campaign about Horatio Nelson and Trafalgar, but I think Mechstra is right about the neval combat being underrepresented.
Gen_Goobs
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 01:25 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
I used to watch the series about Hornblower, it was pretty random yet good.

They'll have an element of ship battles in the campaign, but they probably won't base an entire scenario around a naval battle.

General L. Goobs
Victim of narrow mindedness.
nz_upy
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 02:29 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
What is "raking"?

The ability to seige other ships?

British Patriot
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 12:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I'm not sure, but wasn't raking sailing around either the bow or stern and "raking" her with a broadside, i.e. letting her have it?

Eternal rest give unto them O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon them,
May they rest in peace.
Amen.
Mechstra
Banned
posted 02-24-05 01:32 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
Raking is also known as 'crossing the T', and describes the act of unleashing a broadside (usually a sequential firing of the cannons, instead of all-at-once) at the weakest section of the enemy ship's hull - in other words the bow, or preferably the stern, where large glass windows put up very little resistance to roundshot. A single cannonball fired lengthways down a ship in the act of raking could kill dozens and dismount cannons.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames