You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.257 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » What do you think the final two civs will be?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What do you think the final two civs will be?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 06:26 AM EDT (US)         
Hi, 6 of 8 civs have now been announced (English, French, Spanish; Dutch, Portuguese, Germans). Anyone wanna take bets on the last two civs? First read this bit from ES_Sandyman in reply to complaints about there not being enough "northern" cultures:

Quoted from ES_Sandyman:

Germany and Britain aren't "northern countries"!? What do we need to add? Iceland?

So Sandyman's reply suggests that with England and Germany (and Holland) there are enough NORTHERN cultures in the game. So the last two ones may be southern cultures, whatever the hell that may mean. Here are the options according to me:

SOUTHERN options
Venice (500-1800): powerful, wealthy, cultured empire in northern Italy Captured Constantinople, allied with many larger empires, controlled mediterranean trade, fought off the Turks. Outstanding navy and army. Never had colonies in the New World, but hey, Germany didn't either.
EVIDENCE: concept art of Stradiot cavalry (circumstantial)

Ottoman Empire (1299-1923): Largest empire in the Middle East and absolute superpower until 17th century. Wealthy, powerful army. Dangerous threat to European nations, held a LARGE part of Europe, sent scientists to Africa and Indonesia to teach the natives guerilla tactics Never had colonies in the new world.
EVIDENCE: none

Austrian or Habsburg Monarchy (1526-1867) Held many parts of Central Europe, the Netherlands, Italy and the Balkan in the 1700s. Multi-cultural, influential, famous for its nobility. Never had colonies in the new world. However:

Quoted from the CGM preview:

During much of this period there was no such thing as Germany, so here they serve as an amalgam of Prussians, Austrians and others from the region.

NORTHERN options
Sweden (1521- ): One of the great powers in 17th century Europe. Won wars again Poland and Russia, aquired many parts of Scandinavia. Held small colonies in North America.
EVIDENCE: possible blue/yellow Caroliner infantry in screenshot (circumstantial)

Denmark (400- ): A smaller nordic country. Controlled trade and fishery in the nordic seas. Strong economy from 17th century on. Held colonies in the Caribbean and North Atlantic.

Russia (1613- ): When the Duchy of Moscow started expanding its territory, it quickly established one of the largest empires ever seen. Immense economic, and considerable military power. Held colonies in Alaska and California.
EVIDENCE: Nootka (northwestern native tribe) are in the game; Yukon map in the game; eagle on flag in screenshot, as on Russian flag

Poland (950-1939): large empire in northern Europe, threathened Russia, Germany, Sweden etc. Never had colonies in the new world.
EVIDENCE: eagle on flag in screenshot, as on Polish flag (circumstantial)

ASIAN options
Japan: had contacts with European traders and missionaries in the 1500s but then forbade most international contacts until 1854. Never had colonies in the new world.
EVIDENCE: concept art of Samurai infantry, possible flag in one screenshot (circumstantial)

China: lost their technological advantage after the Middle Ages and had to defend itself against European imperialism. Never had colonies in the new world.

India: large and sophisticated empire in the late Middle Ages. Never had colonies in the new world.
EVIDENCE: ES_Bigdog likes tablas (circumstantial)

I'm kinda at a loss here, what other southern, European civs from 1500-1800 were large enough to be in the game?
(and what civs remain for an X-pack :s)

Anyway, enough bullshit. Tell me what you think will be the final two civilizations of Age of Empires 3!

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination

[This message has been edited by SilentScreams (edited 03-25-2005 @ 04:55 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 06:53 AM EDT (US)     1 / 257       
Russia- I refuse to give up because nobody else makes any sense. The Nootka tribe exists in a region {Vancouver island to Washington} where only Russia would contact them. They have a Yukon theme for a map...

Sweden or Denmark- Like I said. nobody else makes any sense. They were the only other Nations to have serious colony.

Scarlet Adder
Banned
posted 03-25-05 06:57 AM EDT (US)     2 / 257       
One civ could be erm ... I dunno, Aztec kinda thing? Or perhaps American Indians ... I've got a feeling there will be a "native" civ in the game ...
THE_champion95
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 07:02 AM EDT (US)     3 / 257       
I think itll be Italy(because colombus was italian) and probably belgium because they had colonies in africa. I say this because Germany is also in the game.

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
styrbiorn
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 07:06 AM EDT (US)     4 / 257       

Quote:

Sweden or Denmark- Like I said. nobody else makes any sense. They were the only other Nations to have serious colony.

Germany doesn't make any sense either (and it's certainly not a "northern country", just for the record), but they do have a big gaming market, so countries with lots of potential customers are probably were to look for the last countries. I'm willing to bet Russia is one of the last two though.

[This message has been edited by styrbiorn (edited 03-25-2005 @ 07:07 AM).]

SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 07:06 AM EDT (US)     5 / 257       
lachlan - Germany didn't have colonies either. I kinda agree with your arguments for the Russians though.

Scarlet - I think we can agree now that native americans like Aztecs are NOT playable civs. They already were playable in AOK:TC, and they looked anachronistic there (with swordsmen, crossbowmen and catapults). Them having Mortars, Cuirassiers and Frigates would just look stupid.

The_Champion - Belgium was split up between the Netherlands and France in this time period (until 1830).

THE_champion95
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 07:13 AM EDT (US)     6 / 257       
yes i know that but they had colonies in africa not long after this time period. I dont see why they should be included in the game for that, but its the same with germany they werent much of a force in this time period as they didnt have colonies in the new world.

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 07:17 AM EDT (US)     7 / 257       
Yeah, but Germany was a collection of large states with considerable power and influence in Europe at the time, while Belgium didn't even exist. So that pretty much cancels them out.

Scarlet Adder
Banned
posted 03-25-05 07:48 AM EDT (US)     8 / 257       

Quote:

Scarlet - I think we can agree now that native americans like Aztecs are NOT playable civs. They already were playable in AOK:TC, and they looked anachronistic there (with swordsmen, crossbowmen and catapults). Them having Mortars, Cuirassiers and Frigates would just look stupid

I thought AOE:III was aiming at diverse civs? - Who said that have to have those units? - They could have less techonolgical yet more numerous counterparts. Allthough thinking about it, it does seem a little far-fetched to have those in. RoN did have the Lakota etc so I dunno, We'll see ...

The Fenris Wolf
Banned
posted 03-25-05 08:21 AM EDT (US)     9 / 257       
I have a hunch that the last choices will surprise us....

But i think sweden is a good bet also, even though i hope for denmark

Oh, and there has been theories that Columbus was a catalan, and not genoese.

Russia, i don't know.....

My main hope is that the nations will look different in unit clothing and architecture........the latest RTS's on the market all were very different in their civ design, and ES has to keep up with that. I really don't want to see a byzantium with a mosque again, and especially with only 8 civs.

Stormboy
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 08:25 AM EDT (US)     10 / 257       
So far most of us have been interpreting "colonisation" in the narrow sense of "a nation exercising administrative/military control over an area". The inclusion of Germany could indicate that ES is using a looser interpretation, more along the lines of "settling an area with a large number of your people". That would be good news for the fans of Poland and Sweden.

I would be very surprised if the 2 final civs are not in this list: Russia, Sweden, Poland, Denmark.

barley_n_oats
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 08:59 AM EDT (US)     11 / 257       
Let's look at the possibilities:

Sweden (northern enough, whiners? )

Russia (eventually "westernized")

Austro-Hungarian Empire

Italians (Venice, as someone mentioned)

Ottoman Empire (becomes weak later)

[edited out]

Poland (actually taken apart by other nations later)

=====

While many did not colonize America, they certainly had a lot of power in Europe and could have done something. Am I forgetting some?

ESO: oats
ESO2: dirtyoatmeal

[This message has been edited by barley_n_oats (edited 03-25-2005 @ 07:11 PM).]

LionFromAoC
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:08 AM EDT (US)     12 / 257       
I'm gonna guess Russia and Denmark.

War is Death! Living is War!
KnightsTemplar
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:12 AM EDT (US)     13 / 257       
listen u guys.. i posted this before on the civ thread..
although i agree it is a long shot.. but Tablas is a BIG CLUE !!!! tell me what u think about this

-:- The Difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius Has its Limits !! -:-
Albert Einstien
KnightsTemplar
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:13 AM EDT (US)     14 / 257       
sorry.. my mistake... got confused big time by something irrelevant... once again my apologies

[This message has been edited by KnightsTemplar (edited 03-25-2005 @ 09:17 AM).]

PETZEN
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:14 AM EDT (US)     15 / 257       
Russia and Sweden/Denmark/The Kalmar Union
KnightsTemplar
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:23 AM EDT (US)     16 / 257       
My bet... from the above mentioned civs... one should be Venice. I know there are not a lot of takers for this.. and has little historical value ( come off it.. all the historically correct ones are included.. so now the ones that come will only be imaginative) .

my reason.. well just take a look at this screenshot
this is undoubtly a home city scene.. and the canals point only to Venice

-:- The Difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius Has its Limits !! -:-
Albert Einstien

[This message has been edited by KnightsTemplar (edited 03-25-2005 @ 09:24 AM).]

styrbiorn
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:26 AM EDT (US)     17 / 257       

Quote:

Sweden (northern enough, whiners? )

Agree the 'northern' issue was kinda silly. IMO it's completely irrelevant, I think what matters is whether the country actually was present in the Americans or not, than where it comes from is not important.

Quote:

Holland

Already confirmed.

Quote:

my reason.. well just take a look at this Description
this is undoubtly a home city scene.. and the canals point only to Venice

The British flags and the Tower of London in the background is quite a party-spoiler though

[This message has been edited by styrbiorn (edited 03-25-2005 @ 09:27 AM).]

Masilla
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:33 AM EDT (US)     18 / 257       
I hope it will be Swe and Denmark But i dont think it will be both of them.

My bet is Russia and Swe.

This look like Sweden soldiers

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload7/shot_23.jpg

Hmm... What?
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:53 AM EDT (US)     19 / 257       
KnightsTemplar - Yeah, not a lot of people have liked the suggestion of Venice so far, but in that time it was apparently a powerful and rich empire (also called Venetia). There is also concept art of a Stradiot, which is Venetian cavalry. Then again, there is also concept art of a Samurai

Styrbiorn - Apparently the civ having colonies in the new world is not neccesary, since Germany is in.

Masilla - I agree Sweden is a very good contender, but why are the soldiers Swedish according to you?

Masilla
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:57 AM EDT (US)     20 / 257       
Silentscreams.

The blue and yellow guys are dressed like the Swedish Caroliner. I think it looks like it anyway

Hmm... What?
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 09:59 AM EDT (US)     21 / 257       
Also KnightsTemplar, what do you mean with "tablas"? I know an ES guy mentioned it, but what does it mean?

SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 10:02 AM EDT (US)     22 / 257       
Masilla - I did some research and I can't think of a good reason why the soldiers would be dressed in blue/yellow if they're not Swedish. Good argument

I really like that picture, look at the size of those guns!

Shusky
Skirmisher
(id: Silver Husky)
posted 03-25-05 10:24 AM EDT (US)     23 / 257       

Quote:

Swiss

Confirmed not to be in.

lief ericson
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 10:29 AM EDT (US)     24 / 257       
Sweden and Russia. Both had colonies. Russia's flag was seen in one of the new screenshots, and in the PC Gamer screens we can see units that look very Swedish. If not these two, I'm putting my money on the Italians, but all the other civs are very doubtable.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
Scarlet Adder
Banned
posted 03-25-05 10:30 AM EDT (US)     25 / 257       
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames