You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.54 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Age of Empires III High-res GDC video notes (56K Warning)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Age of Empires III High-res GDC video notes (56K Warning)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Kumar Shah
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-05 03:56 PM EDT (US)         
We all know that the first video of AoE III was posted on the Italian site, but alas it was a bad copy. Well, I bought the subscription and downloaded the high-res copy. Below are some screenshots with notes attached to each. Also present at the end of the post are some miscellaneous observations.

Menu which allows you to adjust many HDR and other properties. Also present are various other menus and possibly represents the AoE3 editor.

Methods of adjusting water reflection properties.

Units fighting. Commentator said that if you have separate units lying around, they come together to form a group. When firing, the first line kneels down and fires, then the second and then the third.

Trade cart can be seen in the screen below. Also, when the trade cart passed the unit in its way moved quite quickly, unlike previous games when it could take some time for one unit to move around another. It also serves as confirmation for white paths being trade routes.

You gain "Battle XP" in battle when you kill an enemy unit as seen below. It can be assumed that "Battle XP" is one of the factors related to advancement of Home Cities. So more units you kill the better.

Units getting thrown by cannon balls fall down cliffs.

Building destruction. You can see parts of the windmill being blown off and falling.

Another one.

Cannonballs, can hit their target and still continue their trajectory path. That essentially means that it can make a hole in your wooden building and go through. If you see carefully a small splash can be seen in the water.

Observations:

• There was a mini-map with just one trade route in the middle.
  • Elevation might become more important in AoE3 due to cannons and other ranged units giving them a huge
    advantage.
  • The whole video had a mill in the middle of farms. It is possible that this time around you make mills and farms appear around them rather than building individual farms.
  • The cannon firing speed actually isn't that fast. In the destruction sequence the speed was increased so the destruction can be seen quickly.
  • The "smoke trails" actually look pretty cool when seen in the movie.
  • Comments on Sounds:

• Unit sounds were good. We could hear non-English sounds from units when clicked and ordered to fire.

• Cannon sounds were good - loud and banging. Rifle sounds also seemed realistic.

• When the musketeers started firing, the music speed increased. So yeah, music is dynamic.

• The music is good and you can hear ambient sounds like waves crashing against rocks when near a cliff.

• Brought to you by Kumar Shah & Elpea

PS: Please don't contact us for the video as it won't be shared.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
    A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"

[This message has been edited by Kumar Shah (edited 04-11-2005 @ 04:01 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
    Elpea
    Hal
    (id: lp_usa)
    posted 04-11-05 03:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 54       
    *will be posting on the news soon*

Awesome vid

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 04-11-2005 @ 03:59 PM).]

King Charles II
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 04:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 54       
    Thanx Kumar Shah

∆∆∆∆∆
    King Charles II
    The Great King Of . . . Nothing

Fact: If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months,
    enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

dosidal
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 54       
    We at the forum will be very thankfull...*BOWS*. Great observation, thanks for making the vid a little bit clearer.
    I'm sure we'll see more of this to come, and i'm especially looking forward to seeing what the 'killer feature' will be-later in the week.

Did you get to see if it was a blue and white flag on the building??

Thanks again

[This message has been edited by dosidal (edited 04-11-2005 @ 04:09 PM).]

king of ages
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 54       

Quote:

*will be posting on the news soon*

hmm...

Thanks a lot for the screenshots, its alot easier to see. I wish there was an actualy "high resolution" crystal clear version.. But that one is better. With this one, can you hear the guy talking? I heard mumbling, it wasn't very good...

Any chance you could post a copy for us on hte internet..?

Thebean
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 04:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 54       

Quote:

Elevation might become more important in AoE3 due to cannons and other ranged units giving them a huge
    advantage.

Yeah, ES somewhere said that it was not always the player with the highest econ/army who'd always win, this'd explain that then.

Battle experience, that's a welcome addition.

Meteora is a pissy bitch

Dio is Trentin Anthony Tracanna
    Elpea
    Hal
    posted 04-11-05 04:09 PM EDT (US)     6 / 54       

Quote:

Any chance you could post a copy for us on hte internet..?

Quote:

Brought to you by Kumar Shah & Elpea

PS: Please don't contact us for the video as it won't be shared.

Sorry, can't share

I love this:

Quote:

When firing, the first line kneels down and fires, then the second and then the third.

The units don't fire on the back of others

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 04-11-2005 @ 04:11 PM).]

king of ages
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 04:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 54       

Quote:

Sorry, can't share

Its not your fault..alas, I shall wait for the official video

Elpea
    Hal
    posted 04-11-05 04:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 54       
    It seems that the ship surrounded by the circle on the UI is a level cap for Home City upgrades and etc. Also, a lot of the video seems to have been cut, the tech talk was cut and also a lot of the destruction (like when a cannonball hits some trees) was cut too.

Ajs77311
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 04:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 54       
    Two things I'm not liking is how that picture for EXP pops up, it should just be a sound or something less stupid.

Also, I don't like how units can form a group if they are lying around, but it might be cool so I won't give up hope.

I also really like the consol deal at the bottom, don't know why.

what is the UI?

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

[This message has been edited by Ajs77311 (edited 04-11-2005 @ 04:23 PM).]

Elpea
    Hal
    posted 04-11-05 04:23 PM EDT (US)     10 / 54       
    User Interface.

Quote:

Two things I'm not liking is how that picture for EXP pops up, it should just be a sound or something less stupid.
    Also, I don't like how units can form a group if they are lying around, but it might be cool so I won't give up hope.

Well, it seems EXP happens a lot, so a sound would get REALLY annoying. I'm sure the EXP popup will be re-done though, to look better and smaller.

I personally like how they group up, formations seems to be a big thing in the game, so this can be a really useful and interesting.

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 04-11-2005 @ 04:25 PM).]

LiquidRed
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 04:56 PM EDT (US)     11 / 54       
    You actually paid for that, personally I think it still looks blurry :S
    Elpea
    Hal
    posted 04-11-05 05:00 PM EDT (US)     12 / 54       
    We made screenies bigger for the screenshots, but it looks a lot better on the video itself.

Popemaster_Joef
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 05:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 54       
    "Battle Experience"
    Sounds good, but ES had Better be careful with that. Warcraft 3 had an Uber scenario editor, and that was what kept it alive. The "actual" game itself pretty much sucked. One one unit could get Exp in your army, your hero. There were no counters to heros, so if you leveled it enough it couldn't be stopped, except by another hero. Maybe cool for some, but it sucked for most.
    The way I can see it working, is if every time you killed a unit, your unit that had the last hit on it gains some stats. A small amount, mind you, but some.
    If the amount of stats gained was too large, it snowballs Much too fast.
    Example: If one player is winning all of the battles, not only is the other player worse off because of less troops, the enemies troops can take an army many times the size of themselves.

I would like to see something like I have a few normal armies, then my elite 6th army where each troop in it is as good as 2 normal troops.

Klo
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 05:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 54       
    I think it's brilliant of Kumar Shah to buy a subscription. That may be the last time that website has anything new, yet he still does it just for the video. Very good

Aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic is the anwser, next problem
    Elpea
    Hal
    posted 04-11-05 05:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 54       
    Battle Experience has got to do with the Home City, and I believe you will also get EXP for doing other stuff, like economy.

RiderOfEternity
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 05:39 PM EDT (US)     16 / 54       
    I am not sure why they even need to display that you got XP if it happens reguarly. They could just make a counter at the top (like you can press F11 for time) and you press F# for it to be displayed. And then a +#XP flashes up next to the counter to show you got XP.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
    Ajs77311
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 06:01 PM EDT (US)     17 / 54       

Quote:

Sounds good, but ES had Better be careful with that. Warcraft 3 had an Uber scenario editor, and that was what kept it alive. The "actual" game itself pretty much sucked. One one unit could get Exp in your army, your hero. There were no counters to heros, so if you leveled it enough it couldn't be stopped, except by another hero. Maybe cool for some, but it sucked for most.
    The way I can see it working, is if every time you killed a unit, your unit that had the last hit on it gains some stats. A small amount, mind you, but some.
    If the amount of stats gained was too large, it snowballs Much too fast.
    Example: If one player is winning all of the battles, not only is the other player worse off because of less troops, the enemies troops can take an army many times the size of themselves.

It seems like you think your units get EXP, no, the home city does, not the units.

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

Kumar Shah
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 06:37 PM EDT (US)     18 / 54       

Quote:

I think it's brilliant of Kumar Shah to buy a subscription. That may be the last time that website has anything new, yet he still does it just for the video. Very good

Thanks

As for the screens, the video looks much better and also you can hear most of the sound.

For the 2nd building in the destruction sequence, it just dissapears because it doesn't have the destruction animation made.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
    A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
    hccore
    Banned
    posted 04-11-05 08:31 PM EDT (US)     19 / 54       
    why u guys cant share vid for us we need to see it
    Popemaster_Joef
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 08:42 PM EDT (US)     20 / 54       
    Ohhhhhh..... the HC gets the exp. That makes more sense. Alright, but if ES wanted to put in a system where all of your troops get better when they kill units, then That would be fine with me.
    Thanatos
    Skirmisher
    (id: deathmaster666)
    posted 04-11-05 09:03 PM EDT (US)     21 / 54       
    Nice!

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
    Agnostics:18
    Atheists:28
    Theists:42
    PhoenixBird
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 09:26 PM EDT (US)     22 / 54       
    ES said in the past video topic that the video was made with a older version of AoE III that the one they are currently working on, we where told that things like smoke trails and physics stuff were going to change:

Quoted from ES_Bigdog:

...So, we left things in/on that we know we're changing for ship (exaggerated physics, though that may be an option, and the debugging smoke trails from musket shots being another) because it was just a tech presentation.

So, asume that everything we see in that video can change, andf that isnt 100% as how the final game will be (incluing the Battle XP pop up, the destruction of buildings, the smoke trails and other things that people are already complaining about)

Play my Scenarios:
    GraveBlood

NeoMutation 2
    NeoMutation
    Myr_Enforcerer----------------------------------------------1800 (Greek)
    dw_wb------------------------------------------------------17xx (Smurf)
    king of ages
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-11-05 11:10 PM EDT (US)     23 / 54       
    The XP bar will probaly end up on the left or something, I'd have it like a "unit created" sign..

"Battlefield Experience Gained!"

The huge block in the middle of the screen is cheesy and was probaly, hopefully done for the presentation..

Argalius
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-12-05 02:40 AM EDT (US)     24 / 54       
    I think I figured out what to point of the little circle right from the minimap is. I think it says from which direction a sound comes...

|| argalius.elpea.net
    || Cherub at AoE3H
    || In honor of FlipBizcut
    || Mod: The Age of Crusades
    Shiva
    HG Alumnus
    posted 04-12-05 08:49 AM EDT (US)     25 / 54       

Quote:

When firing, the first line kneels down and fires, then the second and then the third.

That part made me drool. Thanks for taking the effort, Kums!

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
    « . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
    « Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames