You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.52 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » New Gamespy Preview of AOE3
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Gamespy Preview of AOE3
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
PlatinumKnight
Skirmisher
posted 04-20-05 10:38 PM EDT (US)         
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/age-of-empires-iii/605149p1.html

Highlights
skirmishers>musketeers
musketeers> cavalry
cavalry>skirmishers

It's also interesting to note that artillery is now needed whenever you wish to destroy enemy settlements. That's right: no longer will a guy with a spear bring down a town center by poking it for 10 minutes.

[This message has been edited by PlatinumKnight (edited 04-20-2005 @ 11:53 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Da_Sleek_Ranga
Skirmisher
posted 04-20-05 11:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 52       
Nice

It's not God i hate, it's his fanclub i can't stand!!!!
Hal4
Skirmisher
posted 04-20-05 11:11 PM EDT (US)     2 / 52       

Quote:

You can bring huge field pieces into battle, which are devastating against large groups of infantry, but susceptible to a cavalry charge. It's also interesting to note that artillery is now needed whenever you wish to destroy enemy settlements. That's right: no longer will a guy with a spear bring down a town center by poking it for 10 minutes. You'll need to bring in (and protect!) the big guns.

!!

Quote:

And individual buildings are never destroyed in the same way twice: cannonballs will tear off chunks of the architecture, which will spin through the air and crash into other buildings, exposing flaming timbers below. It's possible for cannonballs to smash their way all the way through a building, thudding into the ground somewhere on the other side.

Quote:

Managing your formations is a huge part of the game. If you set a large group of musketeers into a "volley" formation, they'll line up, take a shot, then step back so that another row can shoot. This is as opposed to a "Charge" formation, where they'll fix bayonets and rush forward.

That's about all the cool stuff I saw. Now, to make about 50 threads per quote...

Well, now we will finish talking and go to his funeral dinner.
Don't be put out at our eating pancakes-
it's a very old custom and there's something nice in that!
You don't know it, but you belong here
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 04-20-05 11:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 52       
*newsied*

Thanks

kook
Skirmisher
posted 04-20-05 11:23 PM EDT (US)     4 / 52       
Here are the new thigns learnt:
-Artillery are the ONLY things capable of taking down buildings
-only with a special formation will you be able to use bayonnets
-crocodiles are huntable
-there are hunting wolves in the game
-trade carts are in the game, this makes you think iff stage coaches are used for trade
-50 types of wildlife
-trees change colour

New pics here:
http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/721/721644/imgs_1.html

[This message has been edited by kook (edited 04-20-2005 @ 11:24 PM).]

URep_Fuzzy
Skirmisher
posted 04-20-05 11:50 PM EDT (US)     5 / 52       
The screenshots look better and better everytime, the one with man hunitng in the forest is just amazing
I am so glad the focus in on combat and that there will be an accual strategy to the way you play *excited as hell*

GL Pahlen's cavalry and Cossacks also got their share of cannonballs and canister from the Grand Battery and were obliged to withdraw out of the field of fire.
CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 04-20-05 11:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 52       
Auto-replenishing farms are nice.
xX BioHazard Xx
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 00:16 AM EDT (US)     7 / 52       
Sounds nice, about artillary being the only thing able to take down buildings. It is more realistic but how will this affect gameplay? Musketeers are logicly incapable of taking down a building even with bayonets, Riflemen as well with the same reasons a musketeer cannot take out buildings, but what about the calvary? As long as they're not ranged they can most certainly attack and destroy a building, by hacking away at foundations and entering and burning the houses too. Archers (If they are still in the game as a seperate unit from the gun line.) Could also burn a building down if their arrows are burning.

Wouldn't the forced to use artillary to destroy buildings also make the enemy less likely to defend against an attack with just normal units, since the won't be able to destroy buildings you could basicly just send all your villagers into a tower or away from the attack to gather more resources?

Spam: To post irrelevant or inappropriate messages
Please use appropriate grammar and spelling when making a post.
-·=»«=·-~-=:o:=-~-·=»«=·-
«(-[=BioHazard=]-)»

[This message has been edited by xX BioHazard Xx (edited 04-21-2005 @ 00:20 AM).]

Rec_room
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 00:19 AM EDT (US)     8 / 52       

Quote:

You can bring huge field pieces into battle, which are devastating against large groups of infantry, but susceptible to a cavalry charge. It's also interesting to note that artillery is now needed whenever you wish to destroy enemy settlements. That's right: no longer will a guy with a spear bring down a town center by poking it for 10 minutes. You'll need to bring in (and protect!) the big guns.

What! does this mean you can't destroy buildings withought cannons. Its seams absolutly rediculous to think that you could march an army into the enemy's base and be incapable of doing damage. This way you will have to have cannons in the first age, but I think that too is very far fetched. I don't know about the history in the matter but as age games go you never get the big guns that early. Why can't I just set there buildings on fire? You'd think that infantry could do some damage, maybe not by shooting at the building but maybe with torches. I need some comfort cause this is making me edgy.

Its not paranoia if they are really after you, is it?

[ quote ] I find it funny how many people don't know how to us these.[ / quote ]

Truzaank
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 00:20 AM EDT (US)     9 / 52       
It all falls into place. I remember reading somewhere that ES wanted players to interact with each other right from the begining but didnt want em clobberin each other from the start. So requirin artillery to take down buildings mean that they'll, as usual, be available only in later ages so u cant finish the game in earlier ages. NICE! (or is it?)

I don't live to survive, I live to DOMINATE!

[This message has been edited by Truzaank (edited 04-21-2005 @ 00:23 AM).]

xX BioHazard Xx
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 00:23 AM EDT (US)     10 / 52       
I just looked at the screenshots and they are so good, in 1 however there are ruins of buildings and 1 of the ruins are on fire so maybe some units are capable of burning down a building.

EDIT: Woah, fast ES response, then I guess torching buildings is an option that some units can use?

Spam: To post irrelevant or inappropriate messages
Please use appropriate grammar and spelling when making a post.
«(-[=BioHazard=]-)»

[This message has been edited by xX BioHazard Xx (edited 04-21-2005 @ 00:38 AM).]

ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 04-21-05 00:34 AM EDT (US)     11 / 52       
Bit of a miscommunication. Does a guy poke a Town Center with a spear? No. Does that mean he can't attack a Town Center? No.
geno604
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 00:48 AM EDT (US)     12 / 52       
I like the idea of arty only taking town the TC, it adds a realism element..

I think other buidlings can take out buildings..? correct me?

I also like that the resources are harvested at the site..

Hmm, what else.. it keeps getting better and better!

Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 04-21-05 00:54 AM EDT (US)     13 / 52       

Quote:

Bit of a miscommunication. Does a guy poke a Town Center with a spear? No. Does that mean he can't attack a Town Center? No.

So what are you saying? Do I need artillery to blow buildings or can I just right click with my units and they'll shoot it to death?

ES_Bigdog
VIP
posted 04-21-05 01:14 AM EDT (US)     14 / 52       
No, artillery are far and away the most effective building killers (moreso than in our previous games). But, non-artillery units can take down buildings, too. They just don't use the patented "spear-poke" or the equally impressive "musketballs into the side of a stone building" tactic...

dave

Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 04-21-05 01:17 AM EDT (US)     15 / 52       
Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up!
Carltheshivan
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 01:18 AM EDT (US)     16 / 52       
regarding this screeny:

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/721/721644/img_2724024.html

is that a gold mine there at the bottom?

Sunshine
Banned
posted 04-21-05 01:23 AM EDT (US)     17 / 52       
Wow. Just wow. I'm impressed, yet again.

Cowboys?
Also, to note, the native man behind the tree is...

Quote:

is that a gold mine there at the bottom?

Looks like it is. I don't see anyone mining it, though it could just be the perspective or the player has not set anyone onto it.

[This message has been edited by Angel Sunny (edited 04-21-2005 @ 01:25 AM).]

Belerofon
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 03:08 AM EDT (US)     18 / 52       
What I really liked was that strategy is the most important part of the gameplay. I would hate it if you could win buy just clicking extremly fast and so on, not really focusing on the startegy....Im more and more looking forward to playing aoe3

Dont worry, be happy.
WH_SSRider
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 03:10 AM EDT (US)     19 / 52       
This gets better all the time. I can't wait to see the next set of screenies and here more from ES Staff and Alpha testers as the progress continues.

The WarHawkz Gaming Group
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 05:13 AM EDT (US)     20 / 52       
50 different animals!!! OMG!

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 08:00 AM EDT (US)     21 / 52       
Also looks like there is silver in upper right corner of the gold screenshot.

I like the red indian standing on the plateau spying on the blue guys.

Dead people look like they were run over with a steamroller.

Since there is volley vs. charge, I would think there must be a burn icon or sapper type technology. Or...

You can capture buildings.

[This message has been edited by fhertlein (edited 04-21-2005 @ 08:04 AM).]

Ajs77311
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 11:02 AM EDT (US)     22 / 52       
That first page is makin' me drool!

This is for me
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/age-of-empires-iii/605149p2.html
]http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/age-of-empires-iii/605149p3.html

http://microsites.ign.com/kfc/top99games/index.html

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

[This message has been edited by Ajs77311 (edited 04-21-2005 @ 12:58 PM).]

Carltheshivan
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 11:08 AM EDT (US)     23 / 52       
fhertlein, that looks like another gold mine to me. both are gold colored.
izzy
Skirmisher
(id: Ballista_Turtle)
posted 04-21-05 11:47 AM EDT (US)     24 / 52       
so you can preview what your home city looks like in game? how does that work? is it on the map, or is there a seperate button to show your city or what
OPERATIONIVY
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 12:26 PM EDT (US)     25 / 52       
Yikes, I was really worried there. I'm glad that mix up with the 'buildings can only be destroyed with cannons' thing was cleared up. That would have made no sense if something like that was in place.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames