You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Why is eye candy restricted?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Why is eye candy restricted?
Titanus
Skirmisher
posted 04-21-05 05:56 PM EDT (US)         
Well I always liked good looking games special ones that are actually fun, but I have always been bother by certain eye candy that is shown on games that don't translate onto the game play. Lets take this new picture for example, I know that those tents and boxes as well as gold bags are just eye candy because they play no part on any multiplayer game and is only restricted to Campaing and Scenario Desing. But what if we could actually build them and make them an alternative to a house may be just to give a refreshing feel to the old played out houses(Now keep in mind that this is only an asumption given I don't know yet). There have been many things that I was just dying to see done on in game play like on the picture of the Atlantean Titan creating a forest fire but to only than realize that it was mere eye candy. So my question is why can't we actually make this "eye candy"?

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost five seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

[This message has been edited by Titanus (edited 04-21-2005 @ 06:10 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
(id: DrNick)
posted 04-21-05 06:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
I think the native american cultures will be a big part of the multiplayer game too, right? So even if these units aren't being built by the player they are still present in the Multiplayer maps.

Dr Nick
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
ES_Bigdog
VIP
posted 04-22-05 00:29 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
Two things:

A) Several things in this shot are not SPC-only eye candy.

B) On the subject of using tents (assuming they are eye candy) as variations on houses during games... It comes down to what we call "Unit Recognition". The ideal RTS game from a UnitRecog standpoint has no variation because that makes it harder to understand what the thing is on-screen. If you learn what a house looks like, it's easier to grok that another house is a house if it looks like the first house. But, that's not exactly fun, either because variation is nice, too. So, we try to strike a good balance. It's very unlikely that we'd have a tent as a house variation because the tent doesn't look enough like a house to be used in that way.

dave

Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 04-22-05 02:26 AM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
Meh, I have no complaints eye-candy wise for ES. They always leave us enough to doodle with our imagination, like this...

Kumar Shah
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 02:58 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
You should also consider that more eye-candy means more lag from player systems. So its good to restrict them for online games.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
rwilde
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 04:58 AM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
Yeah, I have no problem with eye candy in multiplayer games, random maps etc. Why should you have eye candy there? And making houses is fine, tents and pavillions, trade workshops etc are just side/beta units that make a scenario look nice. If you want to make eye candy, become a map designer. This is a lot like the rotating buildings thread. I'd recommend you two make scenarios in the editor, so your craving for eye candy doesn't affect your playing performance
Lord Haart
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 09:00 AM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
No, it's completely different from the rotatable buildings thread. If you even read 1/3 of it, you'd know that.

The arguement for rotatable buildings stems from strategy, realism, and gameplay rather than eyecandy (which is a bonus), while this is just plain eyecany, and definitely shouldn't be in MP (maybe in SP though).

And no, you can't use the editor to modify gameplay to make roatating buildings during the game possible.

Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 04-22-05 09:02 AM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
Eye candy is the funnest thing about Scenario Designing.
Intrepid
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 09:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
Eye candy really isnít a necessity to game play. A good RTS designer is able to create a realistic, or appropriate, environment while using minimal eye candy. So far from what I have seen from the screenshots of AoE III ES has done a phenomenal job of creating such an environment.
Midgard Eagle
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 03:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14       

Quote:

I'd recommend you two make scenarios in the editor, so your craving for eye candy doesn't affect your playing performance.

And I'd recommend you stop being so prejudiced. Nothing implies he's never touched the scenario editor.

If you can't build more than one building for population slots, you might want to edit the buildings section, which states that you can build Manors and Tents as well as houses:

Quote:

House
These structures support a certain number of so-called population slots, which are required to build new units. In Age of Empires III, some units will occupy more population slots than others.

We don't know what the pop cap is yet. We keep adjusting it all the time. I will tell you some of our guys think the armies are too large already. - Greg "DeathShrimp" Street
Manor
Rich landowners often build manors on which they resided and from which they could control the production of whatever they produced on their lands. In Age of Empires III, manors will provide population slots, but any other possible functions of them remain unknown.
Blockhut
Blockhuts were semi-temporal dwellings built by the first settlers to enter a new region of the Americas. Strong, relatively fast, easy and cheap to build, these sturdy structures provided coverage for the night for for examle hunters. In Age of Empires III, blockhuts will provide population slots, but any other possible functions of them remain unknown.

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie
ES_Bigdog
VIP
posted 04-23-05 00:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
Ah, but manors do provide pop

dave

Kumar Shah
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-05 01:09 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14       

So, do you have two options to build? Houses and Manors? Or is one or the other built randomly?

Or, maybe houses early on and Manor later which provides more pop per building?

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
achilleas
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-05 05:37 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
i mentioned it several times but i would prefer simplicity on the multiplayer maps and no complex graphics so i could focus on strategy.

[This message has been edited by achilleas (edited 04-23-2005 @ 12:57 PM).]

Midgard Eagle
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-05 05:49 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14       

Quote:

So, do you have two options to build? Houses and Manors? Or is one or the other built randomly?

Or, maybe houses early on and Manor later which provides more pop per building?

I suppose you have a choice. Houses give some population slots and manors give more or something. And perhaps manors give you something besides population slots, too.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were in different ages, though. Maybe it's Tents - Houses - Manors, troughout the ages, one being better than the next (like you could build Palisades, then Stone Walls, then Fortified Walls in AoE II)? I'd like to see tents be upgradeable to houses, then, though.

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie
Titanus
Skirmisher
posted 04-24-05 03:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14       

Quote:

It wouldn't surprise me if they were in different ages, though. Maybe it's Tents - Houses - Manors, troughout the ages, one being better than the next (like you could build Palisades, then Stone Walls, then Fortified Walls in AoE II)? I'd like to see tents be upgradeable to houses, then, though.

That sound pretty cool. All I am saying is that it would be really cool if certain things were just added to the buildings overtime or how much the buildings are used. Iknow that there is a fine line between enough and too much but I was wondering if buildings could just create more eye candy so my cities look better.

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost five seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames