You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Fears...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fears...
Carltheshivan
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 09:42 AM EDT (US)         
As many of you know, Empire Earth II came out just a few days ago. When i got my hands on the shiny new package, it thought "Happy fun! it'll be like Empire Earth, only more two-ified*!" (not my exact words, BTW) So i put in the disks, install the game, load it up, and start a random map.

"...Huh? Wha? What is this?"

Basically, instead of Empire Earth II, I got Rise of Nations, but in 3D. What i'm trying to get as is that this game does not look, feel, or play at all like Empire Earth. The game is completely different. They might as well have called it a completely different name instead of making it a sequel to an existing game.

Empire Earth has clearly defined ages. If you were in the middle ages, you could look around at your castles and fortresses and thatched roof cottages and see that yes indeed, it looks like the middle ages. The same goes with almost every other age in the game. Imerial? totally. Atomic? sure thing. you could name the year that you were playing in with one look at the map. Now look at EE2. For one they don't even tell you what time period it is. It's just "epoch V" or "epoch XI' or something, which doesn't help one bit, but to make matters worse, many of the buildings could fit in many time periods. The town center in the modern age looks like a mix between a castle and a mosque. The "bay cannon" from the imperial age looks like a fairly modern artillery gun. These are just a few examples.

I'm not going to go into all the different game play differences, because i don't have all day, but let me just say one thing: all techs are researched at the town center. all of them.

Maybe I'm just not used to it yet and I need to give the game more time, but from here it seems that It's not a sequel at all, It's a completely unfamilar new game, and it's kind of scary.

I just want someone from ES to reassure me that, while things have been changed and added, AOE3 still plays like, and is true to the experience of, an Age of Empires game.

*"Two-ified" is not a real word that i am aware of.

[This message has been edited by Carltheshivan (edited 04-29-2005 @ 09:43 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 09:59 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
Well, EE sucked, and I expected nothing less of its sequel. The difference with the Age series being, that Age has yet to start sucking. ES appears to be a very dedicated company, and by the looks of AoE3 so far, it appears the game will be excellent in every department. Personally I'm very confident it will be a marvellous game. I wouldn't worry.

Also, ES had repeatedly said they want it to be a recognisable Age game.

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 10:29 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21       

Quote:

Basically, instead of Empire Earth II, I got Rise of Nations, but in 3D. What i'm trying to get as is that this game does not look, feel, or play at all like Empire Earth. The game is completely different. They might as well have called it a completely different name instead of making it a sequel to an existing game.

Play it for a while... it is nothing like RON... I hated RON but ee2 has some great potential if the rps is fixed and it shouldnt be like ee1 cause as is said above it really was a horrible game

Quote:

Well, EE sucked, and I expected nothing less of its sequel. The difference with the Age series being, that Age has yet to start sucking. ES appears to be a very dedicated company, and by the looks of AoE3 so far, it appears the game will be excellent in every department. Personally I'm very confident it will be a marvellous game. I wouldn't worry.

EE2 is really worth it, you should try to play it some.... It has a few problems but the frame of it is strong and it looks like maddoc is really going to support it, at least i hope..... I would recommend it for you tho, great game until aoe3 gets here

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Gaurdian_112
    Banned
    posted 04-29-05 10:36 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
    RoN is an amazing game.

And as for EE2, it's an average game, with anywhere between 7.0->8.0 on every site.

The only high score they got was from PC Gamer, a 94%. That only confirms my suspicion that companies do pay reviewers like PC Gamer to give them high ratings. 94%, that's ridiculous.

Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 10:43 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21       

Quote:

RoN is an amazing game.
    And as for EE2, it's an average game, with anywhere between 7.0->8.0 on every site.

The only high score they got was from PC Gamer, a 94%. That only confirms my suspicion that companies do pay reviewers like PC Gamer to give them high ratings. 94%, that's ridiculous.

Ok, comspircy Theory Now I see

Also plz check ur facts first....

3D Avenue (90%)
    IGN (89%)
    PC Gamer (94%)

• Ajs77311
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 11:11 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
    I thought EE2 would be cool, but I played EE1, it sucked. I have no intention to play EE2.

But I have absolutly NO NO NO fears from AoE3.

NONE.

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

Intrepid
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 11:35 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
    Empire Earth 2 has its faults, but it does not play like Rise of Nations. The gathering system is different, the system of unit creation is different, and the borders that give the game a RoN kind of look operate in a vastly different capacity.

This thread should be closed or moved, as at the moment it will only serve to attract every brain dead fan boy that lurks in these forums who has the overwhelming need to post about how much AoE3 is going to kick EE2s you-know-what.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid (edited 04-29-2005 @ 11:36 AM).]

Midgard Eagle
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 11:40 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21       

Quote:

Basically, instead of Empire Earth II, I got Rise of Nations, but in 3D.

Just because it has territories? That's like saying Gran Turismo is a rip-off of Outrun, because they both have cars and are about racing.

EE II's vastly different from RoN, friend. I'll admit it's slightly different from EE, too, but it's still a fun game.

Quote:

All techs are researched at the town center. all of them.

No, unit upgrades are researched by clicking on the units. And you don't research techs at the TC, you research them by gathering Tech Points and building a university, for then to access the research bar to choose a technology. It's got little to do with the TC, unless we're thinking about widely different things here.

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie
    Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 11:41 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
    Ajs77311 ee2 is made by a different company.... it is worth it even with its problems

yeah tho this thread is sorta ot

• Midgard Eagle
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 11:56 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21       

Quote:

I thought EE2 would be cool, but I played EE1, it sucked. I have no intention to play EE2.

Different game, friend. If you disliked EE (just don't use the poor graphics as an example, they were a necessity to get a lot of units on the screen), you can still try EE II's demo.

Quote:

yeah tho this thread is sorta ot

IT seems to me, too, that its purpose is to bash EE II more than it is to talk about Age of Empires III compared to II and I.

Carltheshivan
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 11:59 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
    "Just because it has territories? That's like saying Gran Turismo is a rip-off of Outrun, because they both have cars and are about racing."

where did i say they were similar because they both have territories? I didn't even mention territories.

they look and feel similar. the visuals look the same, but in 3D. that is the main similarity. that and the huge number of resources.

"EE II's vastly different from RoN, friend. I'll admit it's slightly different from EE, too, but it's still a fun game."

EE II is not slightly different from EE. It is very, very different. AOK is closer to EE than EE II is to EE.

just so everyone is clear, I am not saying EE II is a bad game, just that it isn't anything like EE.

Klo
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 12:33 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       

Quote:

they look and feel similar. the visuals look the same, but in 3D. that is the main similarity. that and the huge number of resources.

You cannot have a game that looks the same whether if it's in 3d. There are too many dimensions.

Aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic is the anwser, next problem
    Ajs77311
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 02:01 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
    It's not the game I don't like, it's what it is. A game that travels all the way through history just doesn't work. I'll give the demo a try but that's about it.

And why is this titles fears?
    I figured it would be about what we concerned about with Age III.

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

Redcoat muskette
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 09:32 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
    Yeah, EE Sucked some how beacause EE isn't history accurate.
    Hikari
    Skirmisher
    (id: echowinds)
    posted 04-29-05 10:30 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
    Most games are not historical accurate.

Indum
    Banned
    posted 04-30-05 05:09 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
    didn't one of the guys responsible for AoE also work on EE2? Don't remember his name.
    Fili
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-30-05 06:27 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
    I have one fear: that the european civs will have identical looking buildings. It would be horrible if the buildings all look the same like in aoe2.
    Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-30-05 07:48 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21       

Quote:

didn't one of the guys responsible for AoE also work on EE2? Don't remember his name.

No, however Rick Goodmen from SSSI from the orginal EE was one of the founders of es

• NoxMortus
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-30-05 10:53 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
    EE was a game, made by SSSI that had great potential when it first came out. It had many of the top gamers playing it who were bored with the Age & star craft games. <i know because i was there playing with them>. However, due to a lack of multiplayer support*patching*, with one patch released in the first two weeks of the games release and no patch after that for over a year; the game died.

EE x-pac (EE2: dawn of modern war) was made by Maddoc. This was a game made by what the public/newbies/ wanted. It sucked hardcore and drew very much away from the EE experience. EE2 is an extension upon this. If a game leaves you feeling like playing a different game, the developers have failed >>> that is EE2.

--
    disgruntled EE player; only way i'll play EE2 is if aoe3 has the plug pulled
    --

RiderOfEternity
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-30-05 11:05 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
    lmao, why did SSSI even let BadDoc create the sequel if the xpack they'd made was so bad!

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
    Midgard Eagle
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-30-05 11:31 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21       

Quote:

EE x-pac (EE2: dawn of modern war) was made by Maddoc.

Was that a joke or have I completely lost you?

If you're talking about Empires: Dawn of the Modern World, it was made by SSSi and was not an expansion.
    If you're talking about Empire Earth II's x-pack, it was made by Mad Doc, not SSSi, and was certainly not called "Dawn of Modern War" or whatever other weird twist of Empires' name you can come up with.
    And Empire Earth II is definetly not an expansion pack, nor is it called "Dawn of Modern War".

Can you explain, please?

[This message has been edited by Midgard Eagle (edited 04-30-2005 @ 11:32 AM).]

NoxMortus
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-30-05 09:56 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
    I am mistaken there, but if anything, it horrifies me even more purely by the lack of support given to MP by Goodman, despite his promises.

[This message has been edited by NoxMortus (edited 04-30-2005 @ 10:00 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames