Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Online/offline HC
Bottom
Topic Subject:Online/offline HC
CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 03:41 PM EDT (US)         
I know there has been a post about this, but it was long ago, and with the new information we have and the more willingness on ES's side to give us info this might get a better response. The Gamespy article said something along the lines of HCs offline and online and lvling needing to be balanced so they lvl at the same pace: I sure hope this doesn't mean you can use your offline city online.

I'm begging you ES: Make the HC online ONLY availible to be made and leveled online, and stored on Ensemble's servers, not on the computer. If you allow it to be leveled purely offline, and taken online, it will be hacked within about 35 minutes and people with capped HCs will be online in no time. Anything offline can be hacked, and no measures you put against it can stop it. I hope this comes to you guys as obvious, but that GS article scared me.

Any thoughts? Does that GS line mean you can use them either way or does it just mean they want multiplayer and offline cities to level at the same rate?

AuthorReplies:
Feroz
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 05:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
I don't think it's a good idea as you make it out to be. One valid point is that offline content can be hacked, but not everyone is going to that, only a few people are (almost neglible). Suppose however a player doesn't have an internet connection - should he/she miss out on those new gameplay features?

He came... he saw... he conquered
http://www.aoe3.ne1.net - Age3 Fansite
http://www.aoc.clan.ac - AoC Fansite

There is a hero within all of us!

CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 06:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       

Quote:

I don't think it's a good idea as you make it out to be. One valid point is that offline content can be hacked, but not everyone is going to that, only a few people are (almost neglible). Suppose however a player doesn't have an internet connection - should he/she miss out on those new gameplay features?

Huh? What features would they be missing out on? People without an internet connection wouldn't even notice a difference. I'm not asking for no HCs offline, I'm asking for online and offline ones to be seperate. They wouldn't be missing out on anything, so I don't really know what you're getting at.

Offline content can and WILL be hacked, by many people if it is allowed online. You can take almost any game as an example of this. Diablo II open server for example. It only takes a few people doing this to ruin it for everyone... And when I level my HC I want to think that I'm not spending time earning something people can download in 25 seconds.

URep_Fuzzy
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 06:39 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Ok dude, calm down. If someone wants to hack their way into leveling up without feeling the pride of getting there by using skill, let them. You will be matched with a similiar level opponent anyway so it doesn't matter. It all comes down to your playing skills not the freaking level, if you are a better level you will kick the hackers ass who is most likely weaker anyway as they haven't played many games, just leveled up their HC.

GL Pahlen's cavalry and Cossacks also got their share of cannonballs and canister from the Grand Battery and were obliged to withdraw out of the field of fire.
Feroz
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 06:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16       

Quoted from "CaptainPoncho":

Huh? What features would they be missing out on?

The ability to unlock units, instead of having everything there in front of you.

Quoted from "URep_Fuzzy":

Ok dude, calm down. If someone wants to hack their way into leveling up without feeling the pride of getting there by using skill, let them.

I agree, just because they're higher in level, doesn't mean they are skilled. Furthermore, equal gameplay in multiplayer will mean that opponents of similar HC level will be selected. Given that every normal player starts at Lv 1, it may take a long time until you'll even see a player who has faked their way to the "top". Level does not equal skill.

He came... he saw... he conquered
http://www.aoe3.ne1.net - Age3 Fansite
http://www.aoc.clan.ac - AoC Fansite

There is a hero within all of us!

CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 06:53 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16       

Quote:

The ability to unlock units, instead of having everything there in front of you.

What are you talking about? Reread my initial post, because what you're saying isn't making any sense. You are saying the offline player is losing the ability to unlock units instead of having everything there in front of you? How would a player without the internet download a crack anyway? A player without the internet wouldn't be able to crack it unless they were a programmer/hacker. I think you misunderstood my point. This would not effect the offline player in any way at all.

Quote:

Ok dude, calm down. If someone wants to hack their way into leveling up without feeling the pride of getting there by using skill, let them.

Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean you need to act like I was freaking out, I've been calm the whole time. And your statement above won't work because it is hurting people who go there legit. Sure the HC isn't going to win for you, but what's the point of working for something if you can just download it in 30 seconds? You can't be proud of what you've done, because anyone can get it. And I do think the HC will have a large impact. The quote I heard from ES was something like "I could probably beat someone 10 levels higher if I was better than them" but when you put it in the scheme of 60+ levels, the character who caps them could possibly have a huge advantage.

Also, I like how you just assume that the HC won't make any difference whatsoever. It's possible that someone with a hc 20-30 levels higher will have a giant advantage, we don't know until the game comes out. The numbers in the interview were saying that 10 levels or so won't change it too much.

There's a reason MMORPGs try so hard not to stop hackers - it ruins it for everyone else. The HC IS a MMORPG element, like it or not.

[This message has been edited by CaptainPoncho (edited 04-30-2005 @ 06:56 PM).]

FlipBizcut
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 07:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Although I do understand everyones concern for this HC online/offline capabilities and the chance of some shmoe hacking his way to level 99 or what ever...But there is ways to prevent this and still have the abilities to prevent the HC files from being hacked in like a christmas turkey.

ES could set the file system up so for instance, all your HC's info is stored in multiple files and each file is encoded in such a way, it would take some of the worlds top hackers to remotly make any sence of it.

Weither we like it or not there will always be cheaters online. Either by hacking, trainers, or custom made maps giving the creator over welming and obviously great odds at winning...But I am sure ES will take the needed steps to prevent this and still give those [us the fans] the freedom to build our HC offline and if we feel brave enough, import our HC online and test our skills online against fellow Agers.

Plus we can always report any hacking foo we run accross so I see no reason why this will become a major issue in the upcoming ESO II and importing HC's.

Just my 2 buffalo nickels

£¿ïþß첩û £¤® ~ ¿ïØûîÐ £í® §üÐ줧
Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.
CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 07:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Agreed, FlipBizkit - but I disagree that they can stop it if you can make HCs offline and take them online. No game or software program I've seen in my life can stop someone hacking something offline and putting the file online. That's the reason I could hop onto a p2p program right now, download Windows XP, Photoshop CS, or any other program, and have it running within 5 minutes. Not that I do that or support it, I'm just showing how easy and how prevalent it is.

It seems that easy, undetectable hacks like that run rampant in games where they work - like any online games without a central server (d2, DS etc). Of course trainers would be even worse, but that's a whole different matter and isn't easily stopped.

Edit: The point I'm making that if ES is going to incorporate MMORPG elements, I hope they're ready to treat them like MMORPG elements.

[This message has been edited by CaptainPoncho (edited 04-30-2005 @ 07:30 PM).]

ES_Bigdog
VIP
posted 05-01-05 02:56 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
ESO HCs will be stored on our servers. SP HCs will be stored locally on the users HD. If the SP user wants to ruin his gameplay by hacking his HC, so be it. We can't stop that, so we won't even try

But, yes, rest assured, MP HCs will be safe from hacking.

dave

Ajs77311
Skirmisher
posted 05-01-05 03:01 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
Will we be able to play our on-line HC's offline (but NOt the other way around, and nothing SP will affect MP)?

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

beekay
Skirmisher
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 05-01-05 03:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16       

Quote:

ESO HCs will be stored on our servers. SP HCs will be stored locally on the users HD. If the SP user wants to ruin his gameplay by hacking his HC, so be it. We can't stop that, so we won't even try

dave

*wipes sweat away*

I don't think people understand what it would be like if they were one.

sig
Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 05-01-05 03:27 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
But Dave, will we be able to use our Single Player HCs in multiplayer?

What's to stop me from levelling up 10,000 times in SP so I can come to MP packed with lots of bonuses? (if you can share..)

beekay
Skirmisher
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 05-01-05 03:31 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Gaurdian?

He just confirmed that SP HCs and MP HCs are separate.

sig
Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 05-01-05 03:41 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
oh yeah, lol
Thanatos
Skirmisher
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 05-01-05 01:06 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       

Quote:

dave

Whew! I was hoping for this as I felt was the best option.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 05-01-05 01:31 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       

Quote:

dave

Thank you!

URep_Fuzzy
Skirmisher
posted 05-01-05 04:47 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16       

Quote:

And your statement above won't work because it is hurting people who go there legit. Sure the HC isn't going to win for you, but what's the point of working for something if you can just download it in 30 seconds? You can't be proud of what you've done, because anyone can get it. And I do think the HC will have a large impact. The quote I heard from ES was something like "I could probably beat someone 10 levels higher if I was better than them" but when you put it in the scheme of 60+ levels, the character who caps them could possibly have a huge advantage.

LOL I love people like you, "you noob I'm level 50 and you are only 10" hahaha, so having a high HC level will give your ego a boost? haha, It is not about your HC level it is about your skill as a player, people like you really make me laugh.
And as said before you won't be playing someone 20 levels higher cuz OBVIOUSLY they would have an advantage, with the new system you will play people with similiar level HCs.

GL Pahlen's cavalry and Cossacks also got their share of cannonballs and canister from the Grand Battery and were obliged to withdraw out of the field of fire.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames