You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.131 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Why does everyone like the British?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Why does everyone like the British?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 6  Next Page »
ThatisHILLARIOUS
Skirmisher
posted 05-18-05 08:03 PM EDT (US)         
My subject is self-explanatory.
But really, would you rather live in a nation were you have the Queen, and all the Queen does is drain money from the Budget. Or, would you prefer to live were the Czar (guess were that is) drains money from the Budget to finance the War or the Modernization.

note that capitalization express strong points or the beginings of sentences
when words preceded by 'the' are capitalized the phrase (the word and the 'the') should be given enunciation from the rest of the sentance that contains them

This is my sig.

True, it does suck.

But I deal with it.

Why can't you?
AuthorReplies:
CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 05-18-05 08:23 PM EDT (US)     1 / 131       
A majority of players here are from the US, and Britain most resembles the US out of these countries. Also, Britain is one of the first countries thought of when colonization is brought up, and were a major power at the time. Many movies have popularized the british during this time period, and ingame they have a powerful economy and navy: a good base and a great way to see the improved naval features.
king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 05-18-05 09:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 131       
Most people kind of have a kind of attraction to the brits because we're mainly americans, and the #1 civ we learn about is the brits, and how we fought them in the rev. war. Plus they speak english too, and they're similiar culturally and they've been allies for a long time. No hard feelings to the other ones, but naturally its the brits americans are attracted too

dhaeman
Skirmisher
posted 05-18-05 11:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 131       
Obviously the language and cultural aspects are a big reason why a lot of why people play the British. But I also think it's because in pretty much any historical RTS, you know you'll be getting some useful economic bonuses if you play the British. And considering how important your economy tends to be in an "Age" game, that makes playing the British a likely choice.
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
(id: DrNick)
posted 05-18-05 11:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 131       
I'm going to play the spanish.

Dr Nick
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Nart_Saga
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 00:14 AM EDT (US)     5 / 131       
Mel Gibson doesn't like British.
Silk
Royal Guard
(id: LordThom)
posted 05-19-05 02:03 AM EDT (US)     6 / 131       
Probably because all the good TV shows come out of Britain

Silk
Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
OMGWTFBBQ
Taufiq Khan
Skirmisher
(id: Shala_T)
posted 05-19-05 02:04 AM EDT (US)     7 / 131       
The only reason I picked the British was because ES said that they were the most similar to the Campaign civ.

★★★★★
Thanatos
Skirmisher
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 05-19-05 03:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 131       
For me, because my country was an integral part of the empire for a large period and still feels a strong connection to it.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
Bowtome
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 03:36 AM EDT (US)     9 / 131       
Because we are lovely

ESO name UKGODZ_Thor, UKGODZ_Bowtome
The MIghty 8 Clan
Carltheshivan
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 03:40 AM EDT (US)     10 / 131       
Tea and Crumpets.
Mechstra
Banned
posted 05-19-05 05:16 AM EDT (US)     11 / 131       
Stiff upper lip. Pawrsh voices. Jolly good show.

Horribly inaccurate stereotypes, that's why people love the British.

Jackrum
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 06:46 AM EDT (US)     12 / 131       
as a brit i have to point out that the Queen doesnt drain the budget (look to t blair and his cums for that!) rather she increases the countries revenue via tourism of royal sites like hampton curt, the palace etc she is also a wonderful ambassador of our great nation

also i have to point out who ur president is when u complain about british leaders

Silk
Royal Guard
(id: LordThom)
posted 05-19-05 07:30 AM EDT (US)     13 / 131       
Now here's an interesting equation for all you math/programmer types.

If {Blair == Dickhead}
Andif {Blair >= The rest of Britian's politicians accoring to the british}
Andif {Blair > Bush}
Then {Bush = ?};

Silk
Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
OMGWTFBBQ

[This message has been edited by Silk (edited 05-19-2005 @ 09:17 AM).]

Carltheshivan
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 07:43 AM EDT (US)     14 / 131       
[false]
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 08:12 AM EDT (US)     15 / 131       
Then {Bush < dickhead}
Scud
Primus inter pares
posted 05-19-05 11:35 AM EDT (US)     16 / 131       
Having a queen gives us a sense of uniquness, in my opions. If we didnt have a royal family, we'd just have a president like every damn country.

Though i'm a catholic (look at what the British monachy did to the catholics in the past *cough*Henry VIII*cough*)
i dotn midn teh queen.

So what if she takes funds? So do all the unemployed people who cant be botherd to get a job and just live of benifits for the rest of there life, bleeding hard-working familys dry!

Ahh, Britain, Britain, Britain (Little Britain plays in the background) I wouldnt change it or move country.

_ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles _
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
ThatisHILLARIOUS
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 11:57 AM EDT (US)     17 / 131       
I agree Bush is a moron, but the Queen is a figurehead with no real power. And all those sites would exist if no one lived in them. Jobless people are also a problem, but it seems my meaningless jokes have taken people away from the actual topic.
If anyone was offended I apologize.
The topic, by the way, is why do people like the british of this Age of Empires III so much.
I myself play as every civilization in RTS's on a regular basis.
In closing I point out that the Queen is not an actual leader and most nations have Prime Ministers, STUDY YOUR NATIONAL GOVERNMENT.

This is my sig.

True, it does suck.

But I deal with it.

Why can't you?

[This message has been edited by ThatisHILLARIOUS (edited 05-19-2005 @ 12:00 PM).]

I am so stoned
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 12:33 PM EDT (US)     18 / 131       

Quoted from Scud:

So what if she takes funds? So do all the unemployed people who cant be botherd to get a job and just live of benifits for the rest of there life, bleeding hard-working familys dry!

Unemployed dudes get less than minimum wage, the *queen* get millions. The royal family sucks. Britain sucks. I am british (woe betide me). I am going to Canada in 2 years. CANADA RULES! BEARS RULE! YEEAAAHHHH!!!!!!

Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 05:34 PM EDT (US)     19 / 131       
As a French Canadian, I'll probably play the British after having tried all the other civs... But if they have Scottish Highlanders, then I'll be interested.
Popemaster_Joef
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 06:51 PM EDT (US)     20 / 131       
Bcuz theyere muasketare mens are wayy toO P! liek jist th eother yester day i waws bizy loking at my baerlen and then i heer beerr doo (u kn o that nose it makes wen ur town is bein smushed) and trhe n it clincks anfcd i cames out out HOC viewr and my vialgesrs! r ded.!!!!!!!!!!111 TEH RECOATES AR MUSH TOO GROOD! NEEEEEEEEEEEERFFFFFFF!!!!!.

Sincerely, The Pope Master.

Eso name= Sintho_Matix
I heard sombwhere that elpea is brazillian and I am racist against brazillians so now i hate you even more.
"wave of babies"- http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs6.html
MatthewII
Skirmisher
posted 05-21-05 05:13 AM EDT (US)     21 / 131       
Tell me ThatisHILLARIOUS, would you rather live as a slave under the Czar/Tzar, or as a Freeman under the British, who at least have the Magna Carta. Certainly the British were bad, but were they any worse than any other colonial power.
Pwned
Skirmisher
(id: You_Are_Pwned)
posted 05-21-05 05:43 AM EDT (US)     22 / 131       
Cause we're polite, have cobbled roads and sip tea all day. Don't you love stereotypes?

ada
IIIsherlockIII
Skirmisher
posted 05-21-05 06:49 AM EDT (US)     23 / 131       
During the industrialisation the British nation was famous for things like fairness, politeness and other things apart of these moral things they were the most advanced, most powerful and biggest colonial power during this time, they made a lot of important inventions like the first quite precise clock for ships, the steam power and a lot of other things and they discovered a big part of the world and finally they were one of the nations which defeated Napoleon. Due to there really strong economy they could easily survive Napoleons trade embargo and showed that they are not really dependent on Europe what really shows that they were a really powerful nation. I think these are some points which make the British so popular.

Due to the fact that the Swiss nation (Switzerland, has nothing to do with Sweden, I really don't know why people can confuse them), which were also quite important during this time (for instance for the forming of the US declaration of independence) will not be featured in the game I will chose the British.

Popemaster_Joef
Skirmisher
posted 05-21-05 07:42 AM EDT (US)     24 / 131       
hahah......a bit off topic but i liked how I created an akward silence...that lasted 2 days!

Eso name= Sintho_Matix
I heard sombwhere that elpea is brazillian and I am racist against brazillians so now i hate you even more.
"wave of babies"- http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs6.html
wglmb2
Skirmisher
posted 05-21-05 12:44 PM EDT (US)     25 / 131       

Quote:

the Queen is a figurehead with no real power.

Actually, she has alot. If Tony can't get permission to do something, he can just ask her. If she gives him permission, he can do what he likes (which has been done many times, e.g. to scare a few hundred people off a set of islands to allow the US to build an army base there. Incidentally, the government still denies it.)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 6  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames