You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.29 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Nation specific unit voice over
Bottom
Topic Subject:Nation specific unit voice over
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Cooker
Skirmisher
posted 05-19-05 12:33 PM EDT (US)         
Will Units speak their own language (French speak French, Aztec speak Aztec) instead of heavily accented English ?
AuthorReplies:
Rogueagle
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 11:18 PM EDT (US)     26 / 29       
ES has made me ridiculously optimistic about the game after hearing that . More exited then ever, at least for the basic knowledge that ES is going to try and represent these cultures with a modicum of accuracy and respect (i was a little worried when there was not a single native civilization, not even the Inca. Or even the Aztecs, and they were in the Conquerors - not sure why Mayans and not Inca was in that x-pack though). I simply can't wait to hear the Nahuatl (Aztec/Mexica) and Quechua (Inca). Of course those won't be the really hard ones. Nahuatl is still preserved to a certain degree, and its still spoken in various obscure places in Mexico, i believe. Various Mayan and other local languages should be found in Mexico and Central America as well (but these could be really really hard to pin down). And Quechua should be a piece of cake...hundreds of thousands of people (perhaps even numbering in the millions?) speak it in Peru today (actually an official language there ). And Aymara is still spoken in Peru too. But some of the other native languages simply had to be a huge challenge to find. I'm quite impressed (and delighted), even if it could not be done perfectly, at least to learn the ES made a concerted and conscious effort .

EDIT: A quick look on the CIA World Factbook says that these languages are even more prevalent than i thought. For example - 40% of Guatemala apparently still speaks "Amerindian languages, including Quiche, Cakchiquel, Kekchi, Mam, Garifuna, and Xinca." I doubt AOE III will need most, if any of those though. Just an interesting side note. I'm still very impressed with ES, regardless.

[This message has been edited by Rogueagle (edited 06-02-2005 @ 01:27 AM).]

The_Cataphract
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 02:10 PM EDT (US)     27 / 29       
If I remember correctly evet means yes.
bagotc2
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 09:31 AM EDT (US)     28 / 29       
On one video i heard french cannoners saying " votre ordre?" it should be "vos ordre?" ES please correct this.

Everyone is going to die sooner or later, what you make of the time you have is up to you, and so you must ask yourself, Do you wish to be remembered?
Billman
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:31 AM EDT (US)     29 / 29       
Whilst I think that it's great for nations to get their own voice overs because first of all, it was in AOK, but because it also gives a proper atmoshere to each nation, unlike other certain RTS games, but I have one gripe.

Why Middle English?

Quote:

Most of the civilizations are supposed to speak languages appropriate to the time period. The Middle English is a little before the time period, but it was annoying for us Americans to be able to understand just one of the language spoken.

If most of the civs speak in their proper toungues that fit in with the time span, it seems really odd to give the British the more backward middle English language - why can't the British speak in modern English (from around 17th century) or even early modern English(1485 to around 1650)?

It doesn't seem right that british units will respond in an archaic language because Americans could only understand one language.

Is this to mean that say, for example, that Germans will be able to understand what German units are saying, but English-speakers will only be able to make out a few things because British units are blabbering in middle English?

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

[This message has been edited by Billman (edited 06-02-2005 @ 10:33 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames