Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 05-29-05 10:02 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
Nuggets, Politicians... oooh man!

Indum
Banned
posted 05-29-05 10:03 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
Although I hope those 'nuggets' aren't too distracting on the battlefield...looking forward to naval warfare, btw
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 05-29-05 10:16 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
When Ben Donges was asked if the Japanese were considered as a civ, the answer was "Yes, and they are Mercenaries in the game."
Looks like we'll be getting Samurai/Ronin after all...
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 05-29-05 10:32 AM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
Another important quote is that infantry throw torches to burn the buildings, that is just plain awesome.

Indum
Banned
posted 05-29-05 10:33 AM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
Given ES had already said that units no longer hacked buildings to 'death', I think some of us had already guessed that.
cake0792
Skirmisher
posted 05-29-05 04:33 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
I wish they had regicide

| | | | | |
||
||
mmm.... cake....
Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 05-29-05 04:52 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
Id like to see friendly fire from cannons and elevation bonuses myself, but else this is shaping up very nicely. Im actually a little intimidated by some of these features, but at least the game promises to be interesting and highly replayable.
lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 00:32 AM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
Not having an elevation bonus just doesn't make sense, especially in the case of cannons. Loss of accuracy certainly but that ball will travel farther when shooting down. Conversly, its pretty obvious you shouldn't gain the same distance when firing up a hill.
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 03:10 AM EDT (US)     10 / 24       

Quoted from Article:

Units throw torches at buildings to destroy them.

Does this mean:

a) there is a "torch throwing" animation, so when units attack building, they will appear as throwing torches

or

b) there is a new ability that enables units to literally set buildings on fire.

OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 03:47 AM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
I'm guessing it just means that when units are ordered to attack buildings, they will use torches instead of swords. Makes sense to me.

    
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 03:55 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
If that's the case (just torching animations, nothing more), then it's really not exactly as most of us had expected .
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 04:35 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
its an animation, and you will also c the building burning, but after they stop the building will soon stop burning
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 11:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
Ahh so like I said weeks ago and got flamed for it ... HC level will be like the rating system

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 11:46 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
time to flame again

ES told many times it is something different, so or you are wrong or they changed mind, please quote

Zen
Ghost
(id: Angel Zen)
posted 05-30-05 12:04 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
IIRC, there was a torch-throwing animation.

Zen
ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 05-30-05 06:40 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24       
HC level and rating are different. Rating refers mostly to skill. A person with a high rating is generally a better player.

A high HC level implies that a player has played a lot of games and has a ton of experience. While that's generally true, the reverse isn't because even experienced (and even high rating) players will start new cities all the time.

So think of HC level more like the difference between heavyweight, welterweight and featherweight boxing. You generally only play against folks in your same division. Within that division, you get matched with people of similar rating. If you can't find a match around your HC level, you can opt to play at a lower HC level. If you can't find a match for your rating, you can opt to accept a handicap and play a lower rated player. You can also just browse the games lists and play against whoever you want.

Rating still has much more to do with who wins than HC level. I could play the Sheriff with a L26 HC vs. his L2 HC and still lose. But against players of similar skill, HC level can make a huge difference. (Of course you could also totally squander any level advantage you have with bad shipment choices).

Flammifer
Kings Guard
posted 05-30-05 09:20 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
I curious as to how much a person would have to play to get a home city leveled up as far as is possible. Maybe just an order of magnitude of hours or games to max most everything out?
Socvazius
CEO
(id: Angel Socrateius)
posted 05-31-05 01:53 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24       
I really apologise to everyone for not having as detailed a preview as I could've had; HG business elsewhere at the expo took most of the time I had at E3...hope it's adequate, though

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
THE_champion95
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:49 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
it was a really good preview soccy, i enjoyed reading it

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
valzoz
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:55 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
me to.
Alonzo
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 04:16 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
There would be a building such like fire brigade or something.. When buildings are lit on, they burn and decrease in health, and to put out the fire you have to build a brigade. What do you feel about it?
SuperTr00pers
VIP
posted 05-31-05 06:18 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24       

Some clarification.

1. Elevation does make a difference in combat it is just not on right now for testing.

2. We are playing with different systems for match making but the described system is in there now.

3. Things may change. If they do it is to make the game more fun

[D4KU]

[This message has been edited by SuperTr00pers (edited 05-31-2005 @ 06:19 PM).]

Force of Light
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 10:17 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
I don't like the idea of samurai as mercinaries, because they simply were not. Its not that they were not, its just they really REALLY were against it, so it doesn't make the slightest sense at all.

Perhaps they aren't samurai. Though I doubt it.

I can fool you.

Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next Page
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames