You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Will AOE 3 be like Cossacks?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Will AOE 3 be like Cossacks?
Jackrum
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:42 PM EDT (US)         
I personally think Cossacks is a rubbish game; difficult and not at all fun also units are hard to control have no idea why people like it anyway was just worried that AOE 3 might be like it as from the video i have seen the two look similar
AuthorReplies:
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
hmm I don't know cossacks, but what makes you think, the units are hard to control in aoe3? They're probably just as good to control as in other age games, maybe even easier.

Because a game is set in about the same time it doesn't mean/meen (wich one is it???) that it will be like the other.

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 04:11 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Cossacks wasn't a bad game IMO and I'm sure the units in AOE3 will be just as easy to control as in AOK, most likely even easier.
Natalinasmpf
Banned
posted 05-31-05 06:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
Units are hard to control?

There were handy functions in there, such as "ctrl-click" (for infinite build, like constantly producing citizens, for example), and formation building.

I personally found it quite fun.

DarckRedd
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 06:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
@Natalinspmpf

Yes, you and four other people.

@Jackrum

Fear not, tactics will be much simpler then Cossack's convoluted combat system.

| D A R C K R C D D |
Natalinasmpf
Banned
posted 05-31-05 06:40 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
Convoluted?

It was complex, if that's what you meant, so many options, so many choices. Easy to move around, but then you had situations like face-off staring each other in the face with no combat because moving first means zugzwang, until you find an ingenious skirmishing situation.

That's what happened in many wars, any way.

Then you gloriously the storm the artillery, enduring grapeshot and all.

Steel_Cat
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 07:47 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
The only redeaming quality I can think of for Cossacks was the sound system. When groups of horses ran, you could hear the individual hooves reverberating. When the muskets fired, you could hear each individual one.

Very nice.

The rest was cr@p IMHO.

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive
Natalinasmpf
Banned
posted 05-31-05 08:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Which version?

A lot of the engine has been upgraded already, furthermore, have you tried American Conquest? Its actually roughly the same engine with better enhancements.

I never thought of it as crap, unless you meant the multiplayer "no artillery" games, which really is a fault on the player's part.

Maybe you're not used to producing en masse and having to manage thousands of peasants, because if you know the buttons right, it was a piece of cake to manage.

DarckRedd
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 09:47 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
I remember playing through the tutorial, and having the game launch into a long winded explanation of how to assemble my units. I think that in the heat of battle, I'm not going to have much time to move the circle cannons to the front, move the cavalry around the enemies rear and line up muskets!

| D A R C K R C D D |
Rogueagle
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 09:53 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
I hope it is not like Cossacks, simply because i love the AOE series for its own flavor and feel. However, i do love Cossacks, and have always thought that it was a truly great game. And as great as i personally think Cossacks is (haven't played Cossacks II, i'm referring to the original Cossacks, btw. I also don't really have an inclination to try Cossacks II for some reason, but i do want to play American Conquest), AOK the Conquerors has always been my favorite RTS, with the possible exception of Rise of Nations T&P. I also love Dawn of War and Ground Control 2, and especially love Rome Total War. And Red Alert 2 (though not Generals so much). And Warcraft 3 was decent. I really love all these versions of RTS and i hate it when they try and clone each other because they see another as being more succesful. Yes, each has their flaws, as does the AOE series (though this series, again with the possible exception of the much more recent RON:T&P, has had the least flaws), and most importantly, their own styles of having fun. So it would be a disaster for AOE III to be anything but an Age game, and would be horrible if it was even close to Cossacks. From what i have seen so far (admittedly i am no expert on the game - very far from it, actually), it appears to be quite different and very AOE. Which is good. Hopefully the flaws from the older AOEs will be fixed as well, leaving AOE at its best - or best until AOE IV .
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames