You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » PORTUGUESE can rule , not always the BRITISH
Bottom
Topic Subject:PORTUGUESE can rule , not always the BRITISH
Eiseike
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 09:43 AM EDT (US)         
Can't wait to try the Portuguese , I think they'll find the place in the game as the best "hit and run" civilisation for quite a few reasons stated on this website.

For eg. Their civilisation bonus is that will begin with 2 town centers - ( 1 # which would mean they probably can get off to a quick start ) , and will be able to use 'spyglass' ability which will allow them to see selective areas of the map ( 2# this ability might prove to be extremely usefull if even for a short time you can see what your enemy is doing or even just to quickly scout out whats on the map to gain suppremecy )
The portuguese will have a strong navy, strong light cavalry and most effective dragoons ( 3# strong light cavalry is a required hallmark off a good hit and run ) (4# MORE IMPORTANTLY the "Dragoon" is looks to be an excellant unit ) -
The Dragoon is a fast cavalry unit with a ranged attack strong against other cavalry ( So basically it will be like a cavalry archer in AOE 2 but instead be strong against cavalry as well like a camel,pikemen having some type of bonus etc........ THE POINT IS ; who cares in AOE 3 if the new pikemen and musketeers have attack bonuses against the Dragoon , as they wonn't even be able to catch a fast cavalry unit with a ranged attack ! providing your keeping your eye on your Dragoon army and pulling them back when appropriate , of course can be hit by musketeers but as a cavalry units they probably don't take too much damage from that anyway. Plus if one gets to damaged in the group then send it to the back out of harms way so the enemy targets the next enemy but you don't loose the dragoon.
BASICALY gaining dominance of the map is important , this unit the dragoon seems to be quite a good one - take out the enemy villagers thus their economy. Ememy cavalry no problem ! - Dragoons are strong against them. Other units no problem - their too slow to catch them .

People seem to think the British will ne No.1 , but I know ES are not stupid enough to make a game where overall at the end all civilisations are not evenly rounded out.
IN OTHER WORDS - The Portuguese in AOE 3 seem to be what the Huns & Mongols where in AOE 2... strong enough to stand up too and beat the others when used properly like all the civilisations will be.

So am I wrong ?

AuthorReplies:
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 09:58 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
lol I don't see the Portuguese being a super civilization and your plan only really works if you can create dragoons in the first, possibly second age. Portugal will have a very good start though but only in the 1st and maybe 2nd age, by then I think they will be at a disadvantage when the other civilizations like the British, Dutch, Germans start becoming more powerful.

[This message has been edited by HC Dragoon (edited 06-02-2005 @ 10:04 AM).]

Billman
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:08 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
The portugese cacadores look rather good, but I hope that the British get their riflemen(95th and 60th)- the British trained the Cacadores to their light infantry tactics, so it would seem silly not to include the riflemen.

....Anyway i think every nation will be able to stand up to each other, but I also think that each nation will be better in a different catergory.

For example Britain may be the eco and naval civ, Portugal may the fast boomers and exploration civ, etc

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:22 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
I think the Germans might be a good rush civilization, with their spawning Uhlan calvary and mercenaries from the HC.

Also Spanish "Flexibility in early shipments from the Home City give the Spanish the option to attack early". I wish ES would release the info on the Russians and Ottomans though =/ lol

Eiseike
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:23 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
HC DRAGOON , you might think its funny but really civilistions that can become strong quickly can also keep a huge and powerful army the entire game in win even in the later ages.
I bet you might laugh if I say my choice civilisation is the Goths in AOE 2 (expansion pack included) , no body uses them because they don't know how to correctly. Producing a giant army of Huskarls always defeated enemies , wether it be silly chinese or English bowmen , people building castles around me , or if thave even units likw Jaguire warriors etc. didn't matter because I could just out number them because I alreday got my military of to a quick start and their villages dead.

So you see , sometimes using slighlty different and a little things unexpectd 's will win , even if they catch on to what I'm doing it's already too late , my army is too big.... and if its wiped out those easy to make units can be quickly made again

The dragoon looks like a unit that will be available just before the mid-game.

AnC_Ivo17
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:24 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
Actually in the civ specs ES said that they dont know wether brits will have a naval bonus, but on the other hand the strong navy will be a feature for the portuguese. So i am eager to c those naval fights in the atlantic, or even in the pacific.

In hoc signo vinces!
- Spiritum Sancti
Eiseike
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:28 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
Germans as a rush civilisation ...... hhmmm , check the civilisation low down on this site and it says they get off to a slow start , but you may be right.

Remember in AOE 3 there are no drop points and the germans have that special "villager cart" , it must move quickly like a cavalry unit so could take resouorces anywhere then run away quickly if attacked.... usefull , plus the Germans do get their special cavalry spawned from the town center don't they ?

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:34 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21       
no-one played the game yet so this is useless topic.

just lets hope it is balanced

Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:35 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21       

Quote:

you might think its funny but really civilistions that can become strong quickly can also keep a huge and powerful army the entire game in win even in the later ages.

not always true, for example the atlanteans in aot are strong in the early game, but they aren't in the lategame, cause their units aren't all that strong and their villies suck, they take the pop of 3 normal villies but gather just a bit slower then 3 normal ones.

anyway I don't think any civ will be way more powerfull then any other. Also I don't know why everone thinks british are good, cause ottomans get free villies, dutch can build banks, germans get extra gather unit, french have stronger faster gathering villies, spanish have more shipments, portugese have 2 tc's from start, russians can train large groups for a bit less then the normal cost... so as far as I know they're all strong

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:37 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
@ Ivo17 "The British Home City emphasizes improvements to technology and naval warfare" plus given British naval superiority, it would be idiotic not to have them as the main naval civilization.

@Eiseike, carm down ffs. I just do not see Portugal being the rush civilization. I'm fully aware of the goth rush and used to use it quite a lot in AOK: TC, it was very effective.

I agree, if used correctly all civilizations should be equal. You just have to find out the best way to use each of them.

[This message has been edited by HC Dragoon (edited 06-02-2005 @ 10:39 AM).]

Billman
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:40 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21       

Quote:

Actually in the civ specs ES said that they dont know wether brits will have a naval bonus, but on the other hand the strong navy will be a feature for the portuguese. So i am eager to c those naval fights in the atlantic, or even in the pacific.

They're undecided on a naval bonus for the British? Wow, I really hope they do get a bonus considering we ruled the waves and all. Of course, the British should start off with a bog standard navy, leaving the Portugese and Spanish with the best ships, but in the middle to late game, Britain should certainly be the naval power.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
Eiseike
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:42 AM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
I'm not always reffering to a "Portuguese rush" or a "Goth rush" but more of an overpowerment of the enemy with one type of massed produced unit and play stratergy ---- at any time of the game--- even one that drags on for hours.
So it's not rushing what I mean.
Eiseike
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:46 AM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
Billman , then if British are just so-so in early to mid-game but are superior in the later ages , I think that most players of other civilisations would have singled , targeted and gotten rid of their British enemy pretty quick into the game. They wouldn't give them a chance to reach that power... well thats how most games turn out ono the net anyway.
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 10:55 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
Hmm your probably right about players trying to attack the British navy early, taking out their docks and the water. But I don't think it will be easy to take out the British as a civilization, because once their economy gets going they can pump out units all day long, hell maybe they will be able to pump out inferior ships but in mass, stopping their early navy from being wiped out (not sure what kind of ships can be build at the docks though).

[This message has been edited by HC Dragoon (edited 06-02-2005 @ 10:58 AM).]

Eiseike
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 11:02 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
A good navy makes me think of the Dutch then , in real history the Dutch had the most superior Navy and defeated the English.
I wonder what that Unique Ductch Ship does ??? maybe thats the one that can produce troops.. ?
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 11:41 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
The Dutch navy won the 2nd and 3rd Anglo-Dutch Wars, with England/Britain finally becoming more powerful in the 4th.

Hardly the most superior navy in the games time span, also British dominance of the sea's later completely shadowed that of the Dutch.

I think the 4 civilizations with a good navy should be Spain, Portugal, Netherlands and Britain. Spain and Portugal having a good navy early, Netherlands mid game and Britain mid/late game.

[This message has been edited by HC Dragoon (edited 06-02-2005 @ 11:59 AM).]

Eiseike
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 11:49 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
I think the Germans and the Russian Navy wont be too good but what about the French ?, hmm maybe just okay.
But then theres the Ottomans , which could have superior cannons like the do on land in AOE 3 , and all superior gunpowder units in AOE 2 including Navy.
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 12:04 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
Hmm the Ottomans and French, the Ottomans should have a decent navy at the start of the game and the French should have a decent navy at the end.
Eiseike
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 12:12 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
Unfortunately ES hasn't released much about any Navy in AOE 3 . Most of the exiting battles will probably be on land , which means a good cavalry should be important especialy on large maps.
I keep thinking about the german 'villager cart' though , a villager unit that moves at the speed of a horse (or close to it) would be a valuable asset in any RTS game -----especialy since now there are no drop off points needed in AOE 3 , villager units could be spread out anywhere on the map.
That really will change the game play from AOE 2 to AOE 3.
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 12:22 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
Yes, I do not believe naval warfare will play a large part in the game. Plus it's no good even having a naval civilization, if the map doesn't have any water =P.
So the German settler wagons are resource gatherers then?
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 12:23 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21       

Quote:

So the German settler wagons are resource gatherers then?

yes they are, but I don't think they'll move as fast as cav, they're probably just better at gathering and have more hp.

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."
Eiseike
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 12:57 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
Has anyone wondered more about the Spanish war dog , which is suppose to be effective against infantry and cavalry......then what on Earth is left then beside artillery or ships since its good against almost anything it gets its teeth into ? must be cheap to make too.
I would like to see a pack of angry War dogs mauling groups of soldiers though.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames