You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » question on charging into battle
Bottom
Topic Subject:question on charging into battle
paradiselost
Skirmisher
posted 06-25-05 04:15 PM EDT (US)         
I know there are units that should switch from ranged weapon to melee when being attacked up close (e.g. musketeers).

My question: will there be units that can shoot while moving, or charging?

Like horse archers that can fire their bows while moving, or some sort of indian warrior that throws a tomahawk when charging and continues to fight up close.

Second question: will horses be able to trample infantry like in Battle for middle earth?

AuthorReplies:
PrinceScamp
Skirmisher
posted 06-25-05 04:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
I do not know if you have tried search or if it's already been brought up but.. only place i have seen shooting while moving is in stronghold crusader, and i have been debating about buying Battle for mid earth, as i havent been able to find just how you play it.. (single player or multiplayer?)

Wich of the following locations you like the best?: Fortified Estate, Inside a Supernova, is Out of Sync
Hot girl thread!
paradiselost
Skirmisher
posted 06-25-05 04:44 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Are you asking advise about buying Battle for Middle earth? I'm not sure if you are because your sentence is not very clear
Sam Gamgee
Skirmisher
posted 06-25-05 05:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       

Quote:

only place i have seen shooting while moving is in stronghold crusader

Rise of Nations had this ability also.
gorbag orc
Skirmisher
posted 06-25-05 05:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
It would be very cool if they would add both shooting while moving and charging by overrunning other units like in B4ME. B4ME was a huge improvement to cavalry warfare in RTS games. It wasn't only much cooler than those stupid AoE cavalryman which were standing always still when fighting, but also 200% more realistic, because also in reality when you are on a horse you can overrun infantry without spears with ease and you don't stop with charging to kill every single unit, so please ES, add this overrun future like in B4ME and the shooting while running! Only in cavalry vs cavalry you can't overrun eachother and you also can't overrun cannons, but you surely must be able to overrun infantry!
Mechstra
Banned
posted 06-25-05 05:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
No, gorbag, BFME's interpretation of cavalry is not "200% more realistic" than the AoE cavalry - it was pandering to a fantasy representation. For one thing, in BFME the infantry are knocked down but get back up again all of the time, and at any rate only spear-armed cavalry was effective in charges - close-combat weapons like swords and axes were used when the horses stopped moving and the melee closed in. And infantry without spears could easily stop a cavalry charge by locking shields and bracing against them - it was done many times in history.

Don't presume to rain all over AoE3's gameplay purely based on your skewed views of history.

paradiselost
Skirmisher
posted 06-25-05 06:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
Mechstra it seems like you haven't played B4ME a lot because the infantry doesn't get up 'all the time' after being overrun. I'm not saying the way they did the cavalry charging was very realistic [cavalry would have to run approximately 1 meter to charge, a bit too short if you ask me ]. But I think it's a lot more realistic than in AOM where you could attack a bowman with 5 or so cavalry and they would all gather round him and start hacking with their swords.
Mechstra
Banned
posted 06-25-05 06:21 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
Except that's what sword cavalry did, most of the time. I certainly won't defend AoM's realism in any way, but cavalry is often over-estimated.
PrinceScamp
Skirmisher
posted 06-25-05 07:13 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
Hmm, I also wonder, as most of the games i've played usnits have only one speed, i mean, they cant go slower or faster. It always seems rediculous seeing guys retreating at a walk...
Is BFME single player as well as multiplayer?

Wich of the following locations you like the best?: Fortified Estate, Inside a Supernova, is Out of Sync
Hot girl thread!
paradiselost
Skirmisher
posted 06-26-05 03:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
B4ME is both single and multiplayer, but the singleplayer campaign (especially the good campaign) is a walk in the park even on high difficulty. And I'm not the greatest RTS-player around so go figure
Talon Karrde
Skirmisher
posted 06-26-05 03:59 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18       

Quote:

the infantry doesn't get up 'all the time' after being overrun

no, not quite all the time. if the infantry was already half dead, then of course they wouldn't get up
but anything more than that and they pretty much would get up again all the time

Bah.
KingOfTheHill
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 04:23 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
Calvary : Strafe Attack (X), Charge Attack (Y), Trample Attack (Z)... sounds cool.
Infantry : In Crouch mode Vs X, Entrenched Vs Y, Scattered Formation (auto) Vs Z.
Nice to have these, just a thought.

Kr0n0s
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 07:33 AM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
In AoK the byzantine unique unit, the cataphract, did trample damage when the unique technology(Logistica) was researched.

If it was done in AoE2, there is a chance we might see cavarly do trample damage in AoE3.

ESO2: Munch
Clan: [wW] Weekend Widowmakers
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 07-05-05 08:56 AM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
That's completely different. In traditional RTS terms, trample damage merely means that the unit deals area damage in melee.
beekay
Skirmisher
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 07-05-05 09:00 AM EDT (US)     14 / 18       

Quote:

Charge Attack (Y)

You realise Y is the vertical axis?

sig
rippy
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 10:56 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       

Quoted from Bk 101:

You realise Y is the vertical axis? :P

...You're joking, right?

"Build a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and you warm him for the rest of his life." -Chinese proverb

"If MacGyver and Jack Bauer were in a fight, Chuck Norris would win."

Red Storm
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 12:44 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
I certainly hope there will be units that can fire while moving, it really adds to their usefulness.
KingOfTheHill
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 01:01 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18       

Quote:

You realise Y is the vertical axis?

i don't get it but thanks for the concern.

[This message has been edited by KingOfTheHill (edited 07-06-2005 @ 05:52 AM).]

Ivan the perfect
Skirmisher
posted 07-06-05 06:44 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
But the Lancer is the only unit that realise on the charge, comrades, and since most units did not use shields, a charge should knock down the unit. And a flanking charge should do exatra damage. But, comrade AOE II is 6 years old, so it's hard to blame the game.

With all my heart, your comrade, Ivan.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames