You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.53 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » How will it be to Third World players (system req.)?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How will it be to Third World players (system req.)?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Ferdinand Gwonch
Skirmisher
posted 06-28-05 07:45 PM EDT (US)         
since brazilian and other players from Third World that are able to invest lots of money every year to upgrade their computers are a very minority, how it'll be for us to be able to play AOE3?
How can we from poor nations deal with that?

OWN GOAL
AuthorReplies:
Austin Powers
Skirmisher
(id: Emperor_Julian)
posted 06-29-05 07:57 PM EDT (US)     26 / 53       
What about the 9th world nations? They're so poor they can't even afford the Sun!

In the 8th world, the first world has to ship them bottled air!

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-05 08:08 PM EDT (US)     27 / 53       
Tell me gentlemen, what were these 3rd world countries doing when Age of Empires 1 came out in 1997? Can you honestly tell me that the average computers of these 3rd world countries were able to handle the game right off the bat after it was released? I still remember the 133Mhz Pentium Processor being fairly new at that time!

It barely ran Age of Empires, and when Ensemble Studios made Age of Empires, they weren't taking 3rd world countries into consideration at that time, that's for sure! It took about 2 years before these 3rd world countries started playing Age of Empires after its release.

ES is making Age of Empires III on the same level it did when Age of Empires was made. It's scaled to the higher-end PC existent in North America and Europe.

The rest of these countries are going to have to wait, as the high-end users want the technology NOW, not 2 years from now when everyone else finally catches up.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 06-29-2005 @ 08:15 PM).]

tumblingwall
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-05 09:11 PM EDT (US)     28 / 53       
dude, the 3rd world is to busy making our raw materials to make our games, to actually play them!

^ very original and thought provoking statement ^
tarmo_flake
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-05 09:16 PM EDT (US)     29 / 53       
^ True

"Society has traditionally alwalys tried to find scapegoats for its problems, well, here I am." - Marilyn Manson, 1996
Saurus
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-05 09:25 PM EDT (US)     30 / 53       
In the third world the countries aren't exclusive poor; many people in those countries (My country, Argentina, for example) is rich, but there is a huge diference between rich and poor people.

Sadly many people don't have a PC and cannot play any game, this is stupid thinking that many people cannot eat or give food and a good education to teir families.
The solution is a better redistribution of the resources and the money.

Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 06-29-05 09:29 PM EDT (US)     31 / 53       
^ I had said that

lucasain
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-05 10:06 PM EDT (US)     32 / 53       
I know it would be in ES's best interest to make the game have a variety of settings for the variety of PC's that are out there. Even here in the first wrold you will find people stillusing thier old pentium II or III with a Nvidia Riva I graphics chip. (As I recall the graphics on the originla Riva were not terrible).

My points is makeing the minimum req's as minimal as possible will make them more money because more people will buy the game.

tumblingwall
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-05 10:17 PM EDT (US)     33 / 53       
suarus, thank you. if only more people in south america, and for that matter, the usa, thought that way! our world would be substantially more awesome.

^ very original and thought provoking statement ^
Gamer man
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-05 10:40 PM EDT (US)     34 / 53       
hey the swiss technically are a 3rd world nation based on how they categorized the nations. Since the communist block was 2nd and Nato was 1st, Swiss were originally tossed into the 3rd world group due to their neutrality. Yay for the Swiss. NE ways, i dont know what to tell you non swiss 3rd worlders... I guess just wait and hope your PC will be able to run AOE3 on low settings.

Moooers are remembered, chirpers never die, splashers are invincable

Carltheshivan
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-05 01:40 AM EDT (US)     35 / 53       

Quote:

since brazilian and other players from Third World that are able to invest lots of money every year to upgrade their computers are a very minority, how it'll be for us to be able to play AOE3?
How can we from poor nations deal with that?

errr...so what you're asking is, how are poor people going to be able to afford to play AOE3?

simple answer: they won't. they're poor. they don't have alot of money.

should i ask boeing how i'm supposed to get a private jet?

Dear Boeing,

Since Middle Class Americans can't afford your private jets, how are we going to buy them?
How can we who are not millionaires going to deal with that?

Sincerely, Carl.

Simply put: the more money you have, then better stuff you can buy.

Scud
Primus inter pares
posted 06-30-05 11:47 AM EDT (US)     36 / 53       
Not everyone is rich. Wheever you are in the world. In england or Brazil some ppl cant afford an upgrade. So "everyone demards top visuals" yes, we all do, but money cdomes into it. I mgith be able to play AOEIII on my comp and doesnt look like i can get it upgraded...

_ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles _
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
Rec_room
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-05 05:00 PM EDT (US)     37 / 53       
I don't see why this is a problem. Those people who want aoe3 will more then likely have the ability to play it. The very fact that you know what aoe3 is says that your in the top 1/4 richest people in the world. For all those poor countries out their I think finding food and shelter will be much more importent then video games. Excuse my ignorance but if you can't afford the computer needed to play the game then the rich west doesn't give a damn and you probobly have other things to worry about.

Its not paranoia if they are really after you, is it?

[ quote ] I find it funny how many people don't know how to us these.[ / quote ]

Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-05 11:00 PM EDT (US)     38 / 53       
Exactly my sentiments Rec_Room.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 07-01-05 08:32 AM EDT (US)     39 / 53       
Congratulations, Lysimachus and Rec_Room earn the giant arrogance, intolerance and not-deserving-to-live-in-the-rich-circumstances-where-they-l ive-now award.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 07-01-2005 @ 08:33 AM).]

Rookierookie
Banned
posted 07-01-05 08:42 AM EDT (US)     40 / 53       
Strange. I didn't see anyone complaining about Doom 3 not being able to run on third world computers.
Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 11:11 AM EDT (US)     41 / 53       
The 1st World countries weren't caracterised by being democratic, they were only capitalist. A bunch of them, like Spain, Portugal, Greece, South Korea, have long been dictatorships.
Ketch
Skirmisher
(id: Swordsworn)
posted 07-01-05 11:27 AM EDT (US)     42 / 53       
I believe a while ago ES said that AOE3 would run on a variety of computers but the better your computer is the more you will get out of the game. So you will probobly be able to play AOE3 but you wont be able to get all the cookies avbailible to those who have better systems.

{|Ketch|}
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Ben Franklin
Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 11:57 AM EDT (US)     43 / 53       

Quote:

Congratulations, Lysimachus and Rec_Room earn the giant arrogance, intolerance and not-deserving-to-live-in-the-rich-circumstances-where-they-l ive-now award.

The overall point is, a studio that is creating professional games with up-to-date technology cannot cater to third-world countries who have a ton more to worry about than not being able to play the latest video game. If you are very poor living in a third-world country, it would be better for you to forget about playing games altogether, and instead focus on helping your family live more comfortably. Not everyone can get everything, and that's just something we have to face in life--unfortunately.

Stormboy
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 12:10 PM EDT (US)     44 / 53       

Quoted from Firefox:

Strange. I didn't see anyone complaining about Doom 3 not being able to run on third world computers.

RTS games didn't used to be cutting edge graphics-wise. In the past you could run most of them comfortably on medium range comps. Therefore RTS gamers didn't need to keep up to speed with hardware development, not like FPS players anyway.
AoE3 looks to be a serious leap in system reqs for many traditional RTS gamers, hence the concern.

I've been a member here at HG for 5 years now, I've been following the Age games since the launch of RoR and I've never seen this much concern in the community about a game's hardware requirements. An indication, I think, that ES really needs to get those minium/recommended specs down as low as possible.

Ketch
Skirmisher
(id: Swordsworn)
posted 07-01-05 01:30 PM EDT (US)     45 / 53       

Quote:

The overall point is, a studio that is creating professional games with up-to-date technology cannot cater to third-world countries who have a ton more to worry about than not being able to play the latest video game. If you are very poor living in a third-world country, it would be better for you to forget about playing games altogether, and instead focus on helping your family live more comfortably. Not everyone can get everything, and that's just something we have to face in life--unfortunately

How do you know that he is poor? Maby the technoligy is just not availible in Brazil? One should be consideratre of the different possible situations another is in and offer some helpful advise and information in stead of just saying "live with it". Personnally I think that it would be great for ES to release a version of this game that could be ran on a lower tech computer.

{|Ketch|}
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Ben Franklin
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 02:40 PM EDT (US)     46 / 53       
you can always order a comp in another country.

ES allready told you dont need a very good comp. 2 versions are useless

AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 07-01-05 03:16 PM EDT (US)     47 / 53       
@ Lysimachus: I was rather talking about the way you and Rec_Room write, not about the issue as such.

Oh, and maybe you noticed my location, I don't live in a 3rd World country.

sexypanda
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 03:42 PM EDT (US)     48 / 53       
Im from brazil and im saving money for AoE III since i saw the first screenshots. I already got money for a lan-house-like computer right now, but ill wait the game be released first. The longer it takes for age3 to be released, the better will be my new computer.

Brazil has the world 2nd worst resource distribution (sp). And we are in the top 10 world largest economy, so, the difference between poor and rich is so big you dont even notice (the rich brazilian arent in brazil anymore). If you cant afford a new computer, go play civilization 3 gold (like i do, religiously, every day ).

dupsky
Banned
posted 07-01-05 05:08 PM EDT (US)     49 / 53       
3rd world players first need electricity before thet get a computer!!!!!!!
Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 06:09 PM EDT (US)     50 / 53       
AoMPlayer000,

Quote:

@ Lysimachus: I was rather talking about the way you and Rec_Room write, not about the issue as such.

Then I apologize for coming across arrogant. That was not my intent. I tend to do that and not realize it....I'll try to word my thoughts better next time.

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 07-01-2005 @ 06:12 PM).]

AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 07-01-05 06:23 PM EDT (US)     51 / 53       
@ Lysimachus: Nice .

I already thought this would result in an endless quarrel or so...

Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 06:53 PM EDT (US)     52 / 53       
Hopefully when the game releases we will find that when the settings are turned very low, a medium-to-lower-end machine will have little to no trouble running it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ivan the perfect
Skirmisher
posted 07-06-05 06:14 PM EDT (US)     53 / 53       
We in Russia share your concern, comrades. But I got the newest computer with the best tech. form a very rich comrade. To bad I am not rich like him...

With all my heart, your comrade, Ivan.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames