You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.347 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Civilizations-Read this before posting about a civ
Bottom
Topic Subject:Civilizations-Read this before posting about a civ
« Previous Page  1 ··· 12 13 14  Next Page »
GoForGoldenJarls
Skirmisher
posted 01-08-05 01:59 PM EDT (US)         
Lately there have been many, many, many threads about the same civilization or idea or speculation being posted 2 or 3 times. This is basically where you look to see if that has been talked about extensively yet, and, for god sakes, to stop posting threads about it. This is not a FAQ, but an information bank, if you will, about what has been posted before.

Before you post your thread, consider these:

FIRST STEP: Is it useful?
Will the post you make contribute to the AoE3 discussions? Do not post things that will make no contribution, such as trying to talk about things that should be in Community Forum or GD or any other forum.

SECOND STEP: Is it obvious?
If you say something like "OMG2 TH3RE ARE GUN5 1N 7H1S GAM3!!! ANY1 3LS3 N0TIC3!!?!11" you WILL get flamed. Everyone has seen the screenshots, only point out new ideas or intricacies.

DO NOT POST ANYTHING CONFIRMED, OR IT WILL BE THE DEATH OF YOU!!!

THIRD STEP: Is it in here?
Several subjects have been talked about. I have included some of the most talked about-and most repeated-here. If it is in this list, post in one of the threads. Don't make a new one.

Japan
japanese?
Italians and Japanese possibly civs

The evidence most used by Japanese supporters is this concept art of a Samurai. However, it is only concept art, so not very strong evidence.

EDIT: Confirmed as not a playable civ. May have Ronin as mercenary units.

Netherlands
The Dutch
The Dutch also very possible to be included

The evidence most used by Dutch supporters is this screenshot which includes the Dutch flag. It is a screenshot so they are very probable.

EDIT: Confirmed as a playable civ.

Germany/Holy Roman Empire
What is with Germany/Deutschland?

The evidence most used by German supporters are several screenshots, such as this one, with the German flag, which matches this flag

Italy/Venice
Italians and Japanese possible AoE3 civs

The evidence most used by Italian supporters is this concept art of an Venetian Stradiot. However, it is only concept art and not very strong evidence.

EDIT: Confirmed as not a playable civ. Possible in expansion, may be in game at some point.

Portugal
Portuguese in Age of Empires III

The evidence most used by Portuguese supporters is concept art with this flag, which matches this flag. However, its is only concept art and not very strong evidence.

America
Where are the Americans?

America (USA) has been confirmed as not a playable civ in multiplayer/skirmish games, but may be a playable civilization in the campaign.

Natives
These should answer any question you have on natives.

You may be able to play with a Native civ in the campaign, as there have been reports of helping the Aztecs fight the Spanish, etc.

Trade

These should answer any question you have on trading

The Home City Concept

These or these should answer any question you have on the home city.[/url]

Trains
Trains?
Railway in AoD
locomotives

There are trains in this screenshot. There have been debates over whether they're in RM or just campaign, and what their purpose is.

EDIT: Trains have been confirmed as 4th level and later trade units.

Naval Warfare
boats/ships
What kinds of battleships?
Naval Warfare
An Innovative Design for large Naval units that works for Ensemble's AoE3

We have seen big ships-and small ones-mainly what we know is from this screenshot. We have also seen cnoes here, but it is not known if they are in the game, eye candy, or a campaign object.

England, France, Spain, Netherlands, Russia, Ottomans, Portugal, Germany
These are the civilizations that are confirmed so far.

FOURTH STEP: Search is STILL your friend!
Just like in every forum here, search is very important. Before the pickup, it was slightly less important, but with the number of posts coming in now it is essential. Search keywords that could be in the same vein as your subject. For example, if you will post on slavery, search "Slavery" "Slaves" etc.

FIFTH STEP: Posting your topic
Please, try to speak intelligibly. Make sure you know what you're talking about, and check your information. Make sure OTHER people know what you're talking about, as well.

So please people, don't spam the forum with repetitive threads.

[This message has been edited by GoForGoldenJarls (edited 06-16-2005 @ 08:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Anonamis
Skirmisher
posted 06-16-05 08:21 PM EDT (US)     326 / 347       
Ok, I'm completly new here. Today is my first day logged in but i've read alot about aoe3. I think that there shouldn't be too many civs cuz then u have to choose one. I read somewhere that Americans, Italiens and Japaneese weren't going to be in the game but that wasn't a very relaiable site personally i hope they're not civs because i like not having to choose from sooo many civs that will effect your gameplay greatly cuz then you have to find out witch one u like best and all that.
avengerwarboss
Skirmisher
posted 06-17-05 01:41 AM EDT (US)     327 / 347       
what will be the adventage of the german on the others?
from what I heard they are not the strongest in any type of units or in the economy. they have only 3 lame "unique" units and even those unique units are not the best of their kind, and they are only usefull for the first and maybe the second age.
Billman
Skirmisher
posted 06-17-05 09:53 AM EDT (US)     328 / 347       

Quote:

they have only 3 lame "unique" units and even those unique units are not the best of their kind, and they are only usefull for the first and maybe the second age.

...Oh you've played the game?

How can you say that they are all lame units when you've never touched the game?

Uhlans, historically, were excellent light cavalry - their lances were longer than a musket+bayonets, so they were great against infantry, plue they were good at chasing stragglers.

Dopplesoldniers, historically, were elite, merc units. These guys would be able to run up to pikemen formations and wreak havok with them by chopping their pikes to pieces. I doubt they are lame considering Landsnecht units like Dopplesoldniers were highly sought after by many nations.

As for the settler wagons, no one truly knows what it does, but I certainly doubt they are lame.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 06-17-05 10:49 AM EDT (US)     329 / 347       
I'm wondering about the attributes of the Settler Wagon: normal Settlers don't need dropsites and are expensive as well. Does it have better gathering rate or higher speed or so? The Coureur du Bois already has higher combat capability, so that one's taken. And Ottoman villagers are free as well.

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
avengerwarboss
Skirmisher
posted 06-17-05 04:28 PM EDT (US)     330 / 347       
but the turkish and the i think another civ have units with two hands sword that are unique. and the lancer is belong to half of the civs with a different name.
avengerwarboss
Skirmisher
posted 06-17-05 04:30 PM EDT (US)     331 / 347       
and these two units are usefull only in the first age. after this age they will be units with strong guns compare to the lancer and the sword.
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 06-17-05 04:51 PM EDT (US)     332 / 347       
and the sttler wagons are super villies.

and if you read ES' replies in other topics you would know that swords were used for a long timne

Cariyaga
Skirmisher
posted 06-17-05 05:21 PM EDT (US)     333 / 347       
Omg Please Everyone who is off topic get on topic, god
avengerwarboss
Skirmisher
posted 06-18-05 06:00 AM EDT (US)     334 / 347       
historicaly the sword was used for a long timr but in the game this long time end in the second age

[This message has been edited by avengerwarboss (edited 06-18-2005 @ 06:01 AM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 06-18-05 01:53 PM EDT (US)     335 / 347       
no, how do you want to destroy cannons?
Billman
Skirmisher
posted 06-18-05 02:04 PM EDT (US)     336 / 347       

Quote:

historicaly the sword was used for a long timr but in the game this long time end in the second age

I don't think so. This games covers a time span when swords were always used. Although infantry that used swords as their main weapon vanished eventually, cavarly never stopped using them.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

[This message has been edited by Billman (edited 06-18-2005 @ 02:04 PM).]

avengerwarboss
Skirmisher
posted 06-18-05 03:45 PM EDT (US)     337 / 347       
but i am not talking about cavarly i am talking about the unique units of the german with the two hand sword, and even if he usefull something like half of the civ have a unique soldier with sword so the german is not unique.
all the other sides have adventages like in better eco, fater units production, HC that have a better improvments on soldeirs or navy or eco or something else but the german have none of those things
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 06-18-05 03:53 PM EDT (US)     338 / 347       
you are also talking about cavalry

1. maybe german UU is better
2. how do you protect cannons, with pikeman, how do you kill pikeman, with doppelsoldier
3. stop whining

avengerwarboss
Skirmisher
posted 06-19-05 01:16 AM EDT (US)     339 / 347       
you kill pikeman with musketers or skirmishers

[This message has been edited by avengerwarboss (edited 06-19-2005 @ 01:17 AM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 06-19-05 03:25 AM EDT (US)     340 / 347       
or dopplensoldier

1. in first age (almost) no military units, at least no fighting
2. in 5th age you still use non-ranged units

GoForGoldenJarls
Skirmisher
posted 06-20-05 10:58 AM EDT (US)     341 / 347       
Dopplesoldnier is an anti-infantry infantry. It's simple as that.

It should be able to put up a good fight against cavalry too, because of its natural bonus.

Blazing_Inferno2
Skirmisher
posted 06-22-05 10:43 PM EDT (US)     342 / 347       
I think the whole permenant-home-city upgrading might make the game a little too linear, no? Of course, I wouldn't know. But what I'm saying is for maximum potential you would want to get very specific things for your chosen style of play, making it hard to open up other areas of play. Does anybody agree or disagree?

Winner of Absolutely Nothing
Creator Of The Archer Wars (It's okay.)
AoM Screen Name ---->BlazingInferno24 You most likely hate me
avengerwarboss
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-05 00:29 AM EDT (US)     343 / 347       
linear? the opposite is true. it gives any player some kind of unique strategy and ES told already that you can start research other diraction of upgrades without afraid to be weak in both the side that you research first and the new side. if you want to affort all the XP in one diraction to get him to the max you can start doing another HC or I think you can do two "decks" of upgrades card in the same HC
Arowak
Skirmisher
posted 06-27-05 00:17 AM EDT (US)     344 / 347       
uhm, sorry to disturb but does anybody know if or has a hunch that there's going to be more indians from the Caribbean Sea like the peacefull Arowaks who were the first to meet Columbus or like the canniballistic Caribs, the masters or naval warfare able to beat the British, Dutch, French and a litle Spanish and Portuguse for a super long time, even when they started to work together to kill them of it took along time and wasn't even fully effective, I mean Aztecs and Mayans are cool, not saying anything bad about Mexico, I mean I like Taco Bell and Cozumel, but after playing AoK so many times I personally got sick of watching those half naked Plumed Archers go against those freaks in roadkill outfits, i mean come on give a good name to the Caribbean indians, there were some canniballs too!!

[This message has been edited by Arowak (edited 06-27-2005 @ 00:21 AM).]

lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 06-27-05 04:59 PM EDT (US)     345 / 347       
You like Taco bell but not half naked plumed archers? That has to be the worst analogy I've ever seen.
Ivan the perfect
Skirmisher
posted 07-06-05 06:33 PM EDT (US)     346 / 347       
??? comrade???

With all my heart, your comrade, Ivan.
OldGrex
Skirmisher
posted 07-06-05 08:36 PM EDT (US)     347 / 347       
Dear Mods: Am I losing my mind? Wasn't this thread stickied until just the last couple of days? Its time has certainly passed. Is the plan to unsticky it so it will sink into the abyss? (If so, I apologize for this post, which gave it more life)

Strive For Ataraxia
« Previous Page  1 ··· 12 13 14  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames