You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » How much impact do you think Home City will have on smurfing?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How much impact do you think Home City will have on smurfing?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
GaryPayton
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 06:01 PM EDT (US)         
How much impact do you think Home City will have on smurfing? Will the HC be enough to decrease smurfing?
AuthorReplies:
EliteNemesis
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 06:07 PM EDT (US)     1 / 51       
probably

i wouldnt want to go smurfing with a lvl 1 HC and go up against a lvl 15 HC

nifty_PS2MAN
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 06:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 51       
It will INCREASE smurfing IMO.

As say u play britan till level 50, then decide to play as france.

You'll Be HC level 1.

So now not only thoose who smurf on purpose will be Level 1 HC people, but thoose who just fancied a change of civ will be smurfing too.

thats what I think anyway....

PS2MAN
The Mythod Clan Burns To Ashes
Long Live The Phoenix!!!!
Phoenix_PS2MAN an Norse Wars Expert

Currently Recuriting Experienced NW UK Players.
aom dude
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 06:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 51       
That's a good point nifty, if ES fixes that issue (f.i. home city level applies to all nations) then the home city will probably slightly decrease smurfing because playing with a low level home city is most likely less fun.

It's lame to quote yourself - aom dude
nifty_PS2MAN
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 08:58 PM EDT (US)     4 / 51       

They could Have HC level and "player level"

Basicly alongside HC level, is a number number that goes up like the HC level buts is constant.

So if i got britan up to HC level 50, My player level would be 50, so when i start leveling up spain, it adds to my player level.

The idea being, People with a Level 1 HC and a high player level DONT play Level 1 HC with a low player level.

this would stop "accidental" smurfing when someone decides to change their Civ.

Wouldnt stop Proper smurfing, But the HC itself might do that.

PS2MAN

Rookierookie
Banned
posted 07-02-05 09:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 51       
People will be smurfing not for the purpose of doing so, but simply so that they can play the HCs of other civs.
Bk 101
posted 07-02-05 10:18 PM EDT (US)     6 / 51       
Ack! Damn you all! Listen: believe it or not, ES has said hundreds of times that your HC level will NOT be your rating! Jeez, I almost never go here (GD) and I still know that!

black_knight_101

Wait, does this mean that Elpea is my sister? - GoForGoldenJarls

Ajs77311
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 00:09 AM EDT (US)     7 / 51       
Wow.
I mean, just wow.
Starting a new home city is not smurfing.
Smurfing is just making a new account, but seeing as how all you HCs will be under ONE account, it can't be smurfing...

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

Lord_Cyrus
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 02:14 AM EDT (US)     8 / 51       
Ajs77311 is right, when you start a new HC you will still have your normal rate but a level 1 home city. That is NOT smurfing.

Lord Cyrus
Naredhel
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 05:09 AM EDT (US)     9 / 51       
Why don't they just kill smurfing with ES "accounts" - create one when you go online. Then lock it to one ES account per email address
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 07-03-05 07:03 AM EDT (US)     10 / 51       
Have you heard of people having multiple email addresses?
Innovan
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 11:20 AM EDT (US)     11 / 51       
What is smurfing, and why is it bad?
fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 12:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 51       
I think the HC will stop the traditional method of smurfing, where the top players created various nicks when they had a difficult time finding games.

I think every player will play the different civs equally in order to learn the various tech. trees. After they have memorized the tech. trees, then a little more smurfing may happen.

If I recall, DS mentioned deleting other HCs in order to start over. So an expert will eventually have to decide when to begin anew.

Kumar Shah
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 02:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 51       

It will reduce smurfing.

Even if the player reaches HC 50 level with Britain and then decides to play as France, his rating is lets say 1800 so all his matches will be versus Players whose rating is near 1800 and HC level near 1.

If he makes a brand new name, he has to put work into leveling the HC all the way upto 50 again apart from getting his rating up.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
dupsky
Banned
posted 07-03-05 02:43 PM EDT (US)     14 / 51       
seams like smurfing is dead then hooorrraaayyyy!!!!
nifty_PS2MAN
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 02:59 PM EDT (US)     15 / 51       
if someone fancies a change of race they can make a new account if they intend to smurf, so its not going to stop smurfing.

But now smurfing wont really have a purpose, so it'll loose its appeal.

PS2MAN

Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 07:17 PM EDT (US)     16 / 51       
It's hard to say whether the home city will encourage or discourage players from wanting to start new accounts to match up against players with lower ratings ("smurfing"), because how ESO II and home city work is still unclear.

First, we need to know why players start new accounts to play against lower rated players.

From various discussions in competitive play forums, especially from the admitted "smurfs" themselves, these are the main reasons that encourage them to start new accounts:

• Trying new strategies
    -- new accounts so as to not mess with good rating
    -- easier to try strategies vs weaker players
  • Can't find games
    -- some of the top players in AoM say that they have trouble finding games due to lack of players at their rating, so they start new accounts to find games

Then second, we need to know how the matching system works. Based on given info, players will get matched up according to:

1) Rating
    2) and then Home City level

With these ideas in mind, I don't see how the home city will discourage players from making new accounts to "try new stategies", because:

A) they don't want to lose rating on their main name
    B) it's easier to try new strat vs. weaker players than players at their level

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 07-03-2005 @ 07:21 PM).]

• Ajs77311
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-03-05 07:19 PM EDT (US)     17 / 51       
    stfu
    It will, period, you will keep ONE account, and you rating will stay, just a new home city.
    People won't want to play a level 1 city testing a strategy for a level 50.

No, it won't sop it, thats a given, but it will reduce it because with AoK/AoM, a new account is the exact same as another, while with AoE3, well, think about it.

Edit: My "stfu" not said because I don't agree with what he said, it was just the biggest BS I've seen, seriously, if you want that, go call a skrink

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

[This message has been edited by Ajs77311 (edited 07-04-2005 @ 12:06 PM).]

Alexandergreat3
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-03-05 07:25 PM EDT (US)     18 / 51       

Quoted from Ajs77311:

stfu

To HeavenGames' moderators:

Does saying "shut the f*ck up" considered an attack against another forummers, according to HeavenGame's forum guidlines, and thus warrant at least some kind of warning?

Doggiedoodle
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-03-05 07:37 PM EDT (US)     19 / 51       
    What exactly is wrong with smurfing? Do you really have such enormous egos that losing to a complete stranger irks you enough to complain about it? We're all complete strangers anyway. Smurfing is not a problem and any attempts to stop it by limiting accounts are short sighted and stupid. There's a limitation of one account per CD key on armies of exigo. It sucks, if my sister wanted to play under a different account we would need an entirely new CD. Basing it on emails just drains a little time from people playing. I have three email addresses and considering the amount of time it takes to set one up it would not alter smurfing at all. Complete anonymity can be fun every once in a while and I think we should have the option to transfer our home cities from account to account via a password check. People shouldn't be punished for wanting to be unknown for any reason. It can't even screw up the ranking system because you're matched according to your HC level and hopefully ranking as well. You can't just create a new account and instantly drain a ton of stats from a high ranking player. The ladder would prevent it.

[This message has been edited by Doggiedoodle (edited 07-03-2005 @ 07:39 PM).]

Kumar Shah
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-04-05 01:33 AM EDT (US)     20 / 51       
    @Ajs7311, watch your language and posting style. Be nice and courteous to other forumers, if you disagree with them, debate the point. Swearing doesn't prove your point.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
    A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
    beekay
    Skirmisher
    (id: black_knight_101)
    posted 07-04-05 03:02 AM EDT (US)     21 / 51       

Quote:

What exactly is wrong with smurfing? Do you really have such enormous egos that losing to a complete stranger irks you enough to complain about it?

Ever heard of 'ratings'?

Quote:

You can't just create a new account and instantly drain a ton of stats from a high ranking player. The ladder would prevent it.

That doesn't make any sense.

sig
    schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-04-05 04:13 AM EDT (US)     22 / 51       
    Doggiedoodle you apperently never played against a smurf and you have no idea what smurfing is so STFU. and i dont think STFU is bad language
    Innovan
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-04-05 07:10 AM EDT (US)     23 / 51       
    >I don't think stfu is bad language.

It is, and its use is a violation of the terms of service and grounds for being banned from all heavengames boards. See:

http://forums.heavengames.com/support/tos.shtml

Back to the thread topic, could someone please tell me what smurfing is, and why it is bad?

Doggiedoodle
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-04-05 12:04 PM EDT (US)     24 / 51       

Quote:

Doggiedoodle you apperently never played against a smurf and you have no idea what smurfing is so STFU. and i dont think STFU is bad language

I know precisely what smurfing is. It is a way to have fun, anonymity, and above all be left alone by those who know you. I have played against many smurfs and smurfed many people, the only person you have to blame for losing to one is yourself and if the ratings system is well designed smurfs have no bearin on it. If the ladder matches people based upon either rating or HC level any smurf account would need to get fairly high up in the ratings before you can just drain ratings from a top player, and if you are a top player playing them on the ladder you should know perfectly well that they're probably good enough to kill you if you aren't careful. That is if ratings reflect skill level at all.
    KingOfTheHill
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-04-05 12:16 PM EDT (US)     25 / 51       
    Smurfing it's like double edge sword, use it wisely it'll do good (as research, wether intended strat work or not to the same foe) OR bad i.e spam.

Maybe another player stats which is hidden as countermeasure, sound a bit odd, not sure.

[This message has been edited by KingOfTheHill (edited 07-04-2005 @ 12:18 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames