You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » How much impact do you think Home City will have on smurfing?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How much impact do you think Home City will have on smurfing?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
GaryPayton
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 06:01 PM EDT (US)         
How much impact do you think Home City will have on smurfing? Will the HC be enough to decrease smurfing?
AuthorReplies:
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 07-04-05 01:22 PM EDT (US)     26 / 51       

Quote:

and smurfed many people

then you are an asshole and that isnt bad language but the truth

if you have 1800 rating you are a loser if you smurf against 1500's. just play against players with your rating

Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 07-04-05 02:34 PM EDT (US)     27 / 51       

Quote:

then you are an asshole and that isnt bad language but the truth

if you have 1800 rating you are a loser if you smurf against 1500's. just play against players with your rating

That was in a game where there wasn't really a ranking system. I doubt you can come up with a good reason for that being anything other than flaming. It is a statement based on little evidence and you cannot say anything is true without providing evidence for it. Unless you're trying to start a religion against me. As for people playing less skilled players, that isn't very fun to play against weak opponents but it goes under the reasons mentioned by other people that it is an excellent way to test out and refine newer strategies. You can't do something completely unrefined agains a player of your skill level who is doing a refined strategy. You'll get slaughtered if you try.

[This message has been edited by Doggiedoodle (edited 07-04-2005 @ 02:38 PM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 07-04-05 03:12 PM EDT (US)     28 / 51       
but that is no reason for slaughtering lesser skilled players when they think they play against someone their own skill. no problems with new strats, as long as you dont own him. just try new strats on ai
Pwned
Skirmisher
(id: You_Are_Pwned)
posted 07-04-05 03:21 PM EDT (US)     29 / 51       
Smurfing will be in the game one way or another, because the higher you get up the rankings the harder it is to find a game at your level.

ada
Tordenskiold
Skirmisher
posted 07-04-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     30 / 51       
Yes, and smurfing will only increase that problem - because all the high skilled players you should find games against has the same lame/stupid excuse and is playing lower rated players

If you have trouble finding games at high level - play advanced instead. I am sure that 100's of people would be happy to have a game against an expert who cannot find a game at high level or who wants to try out a new strategy.

Smurfing under secret names and taking lower rated peoples points away is the cowards way out IHO.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 07-04-05 04:54 PM EDT (US)     31 / 51       

Quote:

Smurfing under secret names and taking lower rated peoples points away is the cowards way out IHO.

That's too pointless for anyone with half a brain to bother doing it, people smurf for different reasons.

Quote:

If you have trouble finding games at high level - play advanced instead. I am sure that 100's of people would be happy to have a game against an expert who cannot find a game at high level or who wants to try out a new strategy.

If you're smurfing because you can't get a game it isn't to kill off random and new players, it's to get a decent game when you can't get a good game and most people who bother playing on the ranking system are good enough to give a decent game. If you're testing something the same thing applies. You want someone who will do fairly well against you but not someone who will slaughter you with a more refined strat.

Quote:

Yes, and smurfing will only increase that problem - because all the high skilled players you should find games against has the same lame/stupid excuse and is playing lower rated players

It is not lame or stupid to want a game or to want to test a strat or even to prefer anonymity over being well known. It is a matter of personal preference and if it means an average player will occasionally get slaughtered at least it will be quick.
jj11188
Skirmisher
posted 07-04-05 09:02 PM EDT (US)     32 / 51       
Imo this will have no overall affect on smurfing. Some people smurf to change clans and by making home city leveling won't affect this at all, if you want to lower smurfing for this cause, you need to make the option of changing your name but not all your stats.

Another reason people smurf is for perfect records, and again hc won't change this at all.

About the people that smurf for new strats, hc might actually cause more smurfing in this area. If someone wants to make a new strat that involves a level 6 hc, they will make a smurf account, but if they want to try a different strat that invovles hc level 6 but through a different path, then again there is a new hc.

The only way i see this drastically reducing smurfing is if beating someone with a high level hc gives drastically more points then someone with a low level hc, so if someone smurfs it takes a while to climb up the ladder.

Tordenskiold
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 01:48 AM EDT (US)     33 / 51       
Doggiedoodle,

I get the feeling you are one of those people with +100 accounts who enjoy smurfing because you are too scared to play at your own level.

Quote:

If you're smurfing because you can't get a game it isn't to kill off random and new players, it's to get a decent game when you can't get a good game and most people who bother playing on the ranking system are good enough to give a decent game. If you're testing something the same thing applies. You want someone who will do fairly well against you but not someone who will slaughter you with a more refined strat.

Thay is just plain stupid.

It will always be better to get an advanced game where you can control players level (ever seen +1800 games only ??) instead of just quick search for a 1600 noob who is playing his first (and most like last) rated game. If you cannot see that - then this whole discussion is pointless.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 03:18 AM EDT (US)     34 / 51       

Quote:

Doggiedoodle,

I get the feeling you are one of those people with +100 accounts who enjoy smurfing because you are too scared to play at your own level.

When I smurf its for anonymity. Most of the time I like being left alone and not being bound in any manner to what i say.

Quote:

Thay is just plain stupid.

It will always be better to get an advanced game where you can control players level (ever seen +1800 games only ??) instead of just quick search for a 1600 noob who is playing his first (and most like last) rated game. If you cannot see that - then this whole discussion is pointless.

I was unaware such a feature existed, probably because i did not play AoM. However it does not change anything, it just gives another avenue of regulating the skill level you test your strategy against. Also, if it's hard to get a game with a high rating on the automatic matching system I think it would be even harder to get an advanced game with a high rating standard. The main reason people are against smurfing is they dont want to get killed by those they expect to beat. It has nothing to do with protecting noobs. Noobs will lose no matter who they play against and they'll either accept that they'll lose a lot early on and get better or they'll quit. There's no way to change that. Helping them get better is reasonable but telling people not to play them just means they'll never get better. When you think about it, smurfs help noobs more than anyone else in the community. They potentially provide noobs with recorded games of what they need to do to play better.
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 04:16 AM EDT (US)     35 / 51       
you are really an idiot

Quote:

Noobs will lose no matter who they play against

are you rreally to dum b to understand? thats why there is rating so they play against other noobs

Quote:

main reason people are against smurfing is they dont want to get killed by those they expect to beat

the main reason is thgat it is unfair. Why do you think a mtachmaking service search for people with your own rating? to get good games. and being killed without being able to make a single military unit is no fun. and we play for fun.

Quote:

When I smurf its for anonymity. Most of the time I like being left alone and not being bound in any manner to what i say.

wow are you famous? I really dont want to know what you say in games but i dont think it is nice

Quote:

or they'll quit

And that is because they play against losers like you

Quote:

not to play them just means they'll never get better

do you really think that someoen 1500 will get better when 1800 smurfs play against him? ofcourse not, he will get better when playing against people his own rating. And you forget one thing. I am really not interested in getting better, i have 1650 rating, and having lots of fun. And i really dont want to play against smurfs.

Quote:

smurfs help noobs more than anyone else in the community

your ego is quite large. Do you really believe this?

Quote:

They potentially provide noobs with recorded games of what they need to do to play better.

they can search fot that themselves.

you really live in a different world, your own world

Tordenskiold
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 05:53 AM EDT (US)     36 / 51       

Quote:

Totally agrees to that statement - it's people like that who is ruining the online community

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

MockHamill
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 01:05 PM EDT (US)     37 / 51       
Many people prefer to win more then they lose. If you play many games with the same alias you will be matched up against people that are just as good as you. Thus you will only win 50% of your games.

If you smurf you can win 75% of your games. You will still lose games of course which is good since winning every single game is boring. But winning 75% of your games are more fun for some people then winning 50% of them. I think this is the real reason why people smurf.

Tordenskiold
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 03:54 PM EDT (US)     38 / 51       

Quote:

Many people prefer to win more then they lose. If you play many games with the same alias you will be matched up against people that are just as good as you. Thus you will only win 50% of your games.
If you smurf you can win 75% of your games. You will still lose games of course which is good since winning every single game is boring. But winning 75% of your games are more fun for some people then winning 50% of them. I think this is the real reason why people smurf.

That's all fine and dandy - but if you win 75%, somebody else has to loose 75% and have you ever wondered how much "fun" the game is to those people who clicked in, expecting to be matched against somebody they have at least a 50/50 % chance against

I blame this for the small online comunity that AOM and AOT has. Many people try online gaming and is matched against some idiot who's ego prevents him from playing 1600 rated players - instead he selfrate as beginner and totally destroys the poor 1400 rated guy who demoralized gives up on online play and goes back to singleplayer.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

dupsky
Banned
posted 07-05-05 03:59 PM EDT (US)     39 / 51       
tordenskoid , i agree
MockHamill
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 04:26 PM EDT (US)     40 / 51       
Well the solution is to limit the number of alias per CD-key. Say four alias per CD-key. It is enough so that different family memember can play using the same CD, but it also limits your ability to create a new alias as soon as your win ratio goes down.
Tordenskiold
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 04:30 PM EDT (US)     41 / 51       
I agree on the CD key limit - only problem is for stuff like internet café's etc... but there must be some way to work around that.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 04:47 PM EDT (US)     42 / 51       
but with 4 you still can use when acc to smurf, resign one time in rated and smurf in unrated. okay unrated smurfs are little less worse then rated smurf but it still sucks
Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 05:07 PM EDT (US)     43 / 51       

Quote:

you are really an idiot

Quote:

are you rreally to dum b to understand?

Quote:

Quote:

your ego is quite large. Do you really believe this?

Are you only capable of responding by calling me an idiot? You could at least type it welll.

Quote:

wow are you famous? I really dont want to know what you say in games but i dont think it is nice

1. I am well known in the games I smurf in.
2. I say what I think rather than what I think people want to hear. It is usually as nice as what is said to me.

Quote:

do you really think that someoen 1500 will get better when 1800 smurfs play against him? ofcourse not, he will get better when playing against people his own rating. And you forget one thing. I am really not interested in getting better, i have 1650 rating, and having lots of fun. And i really dont want to play against smurfs.

You get better by playing better players and mimicking their playstyle until you're good enough to develope your own. A total noob to an rts will not expand properly but if they want to learn a game against a good player is a great opportunity for them. If a noob plays a noob, they both stay noobs for a long time. You aren't interested in gettting better. That's fine for you, some people ARE interested in getting better and playing people better than they are provides that opportunity for them.

Quote:

they can search fot that themselves.

If the ratings system keeps them playing against people at their level they cannot search for that and if the players with a higher rating are only interested in playing against their own skill level and not helping people how are they supposed to seek it out exactly? First they have to make a good impression, then they have to convince the better player that they're worth the time helping.

Quote:

If you never smurf you can never know a smurfs motives. My sister and I enjoy smurfing no matter what skill level player we are matched against, it has nothing to do with winning, it's merely another way to enjoy the game.

Quote:

Totally agrees to that statement - it's people like that who is ruining the online community

On the contrary, it is the people who over generalize, flame and exploit bugs that ruin online communities, not those who make a new name once a week. I'll give you an example: "It's the people who make subject/verb agreement errors who are ruining the community"-goes on to insult and flame everyone who makes subject/verb agreement errors. Now this hypothetical person has over generalized and as a result has gone on to make the game less fun for others. Smurfs do nothing more than play the game with a different alias, how does that make you have less fun? Does it hurt your pride to get dominated occasionally?

EDIT:

Quote:

I agree on the CD key limit - only problem is for stuff like internet café's etc... but there must be some way to work around that.

CD key limits are pure BS. There are so many problems associated with them. Firstly, they interfere with possible resale of used games. Secondly even at 4 possible names there will be instances where people need more. There's no reason to force them to buy an entirely new disk just so they can have multiple names. Third it will increase the passing around of cd keys making game piracy much more likely. Fourth smurfing does not screw up a good ranking system and people should be allowed to change their name if they want. 4a. For those who actually don't have the nerve to play people at their level they should be able to play who they want.

[This message has been edited by Doggiedoodle (edited 07-05-2005 @ 05:14 PM).]

dupsky
Banned
posted 07-05-05 05:47 PM EDT (US)     44 / 51       
if a noob gets smoked playing an expert in 2 minutes thats not making him better just forcing him to play single player,so your statment is bogus.people like you are the killers of the online community-dont complain about the community ever you dont deserve that right.
Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 07:06 PM EDT (US)     45 / 51       

Quote:

if a noob gets smoked playing an expert in 2 minutes thats not making him better just forcing him to play single player,so your statment is bogus.people like you are the killers of the online community-dont complain about the community ever you dont deserve that right.

If he or she records the game he can get a decent idea of how to start which is going to teach him or her more than a two hour game of sitting and massing three troops at a time vs another noob each making two or maybe three villagers. Again you are telling me that I kill the community and I don't deserve to complain about it. And once again I have to say that people who overgeneralize, flame, and exploit bugs are those that kill the community. Not those that smurf. Furthermore who are you to determine who has the right to complain and who doesn't? That right is not yours to give or take away. You, and everyone else complaining about smurfs, are just angry because you don't like losing to a smurf. It's quite odd considering that any one smurf is not going to stay at a low level for long. No matter who you'll play you will lose occasionally, if you are outmatched saved the recording and learn from it. View it as an opportunity to learn rather than unfair and you'll benefit from smurfs. Whining about it is just scapegoating people for how they play the game.

EDIT: As a side note I would like to point out that telling me I ruin the community because of my opinions is no different than saying religion x is bad because they don't agree with religion y.

[This message has been edited by Doggiedoodle (edited 07-05-2005 @ 07:17 PM).]

dupsky
Banned
posted 07-05-05 08:19 PM EDT (US)     46 / 51       
how do you know they will record games and learn. its much more likely that they wont because its so one sided and uneven. as far as smufs go they are the minority so you can argue all you want you are still the small , shallow gamer that is ruining this aspect of online gaming for the rest.comparing this to religion is ludicrise. if you cant stand a challenge in gaming play agenst a 2 year old then you cant loose.or maybee you can thats why you smurf. comparing the community to a nation and you to a terorrist is much more accurate.

[This message has been edited by dupsky (edited 07-05-2005 @ 09:05 PM).]

Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 10:16 PM EDT (US)     47 / 51       

Quote:

how do you know they will record games and learn. its much more likely that they wont because its so one sided and uneven. as far as smufs go they are the minority so you can argue all you want you are still the small , shallow gamer that is ruining this aspect of online gaming for the rest.comparing this to religion is ludicrise. if you cant stand a challenge in gaming play agenst a 2 year old then you cant loose.or maybee you can thats why you smurf. comparing the community to a nation and you to a terorrist is much more accurate.

When will you give a single solid argument? I don't know that noobs will record games but if they want to learn that's an easy way to do so. If they don't want to learn they will stay noobs no matter who plays them in which case all this is irrelevant. All any of you arguing against me have done is flame me for my opinions and tell me that smurfing is unfair to noobs. I have given plenty of reasons why it potentially helps noobs more than hurts them and you call my analogy ludicrous, my analogy is perfectly valid. My statements are my opinions. religious beliefs are opinions. Therefore you are flaming me on the same basis that one would flame a rival religion, our opinions differ. Your analogy on the other hand is absurd because smurfs do not harm the community, I have demonstrated this, however terrorists harm nations; therefore your comparison is invalid. Now defend yourself with valid points instead of insults.
dupsky
Banned
posted 07-05-05 10:43 PM EDT (US)     48 / 51       
ok here it is , if you are not intelligent enough to understand why you are wrong then any argument that i propose is usless so i will leave it at that.i do think you got balls to admit your evilness,not too many smurfs do that.may i call you usama from now on?
Blazing_Inferno2
Skirmisher
posted 07-05-05 11:18 PM EDT (US)     49 / 51       
I pretty much agree with Kumar (oh sorry, KS), except for one small problem....

Most players at say, an 1800 rating, if they wanted to start a lvl 1 HC and keep their lvl 50 HC (Hopefully you get to keep it...if not?) might not be able to find very matches against other 1800-lvl 1's.

Winner of Absolutely Nothing
Creator Of The Archer Wars (It's okay.)
AoM Screen Name ---->BlazingInferno24 You most likely hate me
KingOfTheHill
Skirmisher
posted 07-06-05 01:58 PM EDT (US)     50 / 51       
Based on KS remarks, both Doggie & Dupsky have the same share of pie. A very hot if not blazing apple pie

Ivan the perfect
Skirmisher
posted 07-06-05 09:24 PM EDT (US)     51 / 51       
I, comrades, for one disklike smurfing. Smurfing is for begginers and weaklings. To lose against an opponant of equal skill is sad, but to win against a weaker opponant is unworthy to call themselve a gamer,comeraides, that is my oppinon.

With all my heart, your comrade, Ivan.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames