You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.42 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Age of Empires 3: The Dutch!!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Age of Empires 3: The Dutch!!!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-05 08:57 PM EDT (US)         
I have been playing the dutch all day and have to say they are an interesting twist to the normal. They are definately a booming civ that will be best on water type maps but they have many great traits for land maps as well. The interesting gameplay with the Dutch had me looped at first but when I realized the differences I was rather pleased.

For starters The dutch vils cost coin and not food, that was a wierd shift for me but a fun one. The vils costing coin means you have to be more inventive with your builds. Building early markets are more worth it than with other civs. You can trade some of your early coin for food and age faster, sell some wood or food for coin to get more vils, and also benefit from the market techs earlier (thanks to the shipment tech that makes market upgrades cheaper).

Banks are pretty handy though they are pretty costly. they help to keep the hard to get dutch citizens doing other chores like gathering food and wood. At over 300 food and 300 wood they are an expensive proposition but they do pay for themselves in time.

Ruyters the Dutch ranged cavalry is awesome against other cavalry though not so potent against infantry, they aren't very great raiders but they are fast so they can flee faster than infantry raiders.

Fluyts are a slow warship resistant to building fire that allows you to train troops in, though in the build I have I have yet to see their combat effectiveness due to no good water maps but imagine 3-4 Fluyts pushing out Ruyters right near your shore with your shore batteries barely hurting them at all.

The Envoy is a scout unit that you get free when the game starts, they offer no attack but they are a good spare unit to start with to find nice resource spots and treasures.

What is interesting is Dutch do not get Crossbows... they get Pikes and Halberdiers with Skirmishers for their ranged infantry unit. I think this is because they also get one of the few ranged cavalry units in the game.

A tech that is shipped from the home city called Stadhouder makes your explorer better in combat and allows him to train a dog that in any regard kicks some serious ass. This helps to give Dutch treasure hunting a major boost as you won't have to wait until age 2 to get enough troops to take out the medium sized gaurdians to get the better treasures.

[EDIT] I forgot one of the coolest things. Because of the banks, markets and citizens mining from the start you have a pretty handy amount of coin once you get to age 2... so much so you can basically SKIP age 2 and go directly to age 3. One of the government type selections when you go from age 2 to age 3 doesn't give any troops or techs or resources, it only lets you go from age 2 to age 3 VERY quickly. I think this is why Crossbowmen aren't apart of the Dutch aresnal because they can get to ruyters and skirmishers so quickly. (I'm liking the dutch)

The Dutch are a pretty interesting civ and I am surprised at how well they are balanced even though they need to use a seperate resource to train the vital villy. I will say that in the right hands the Dutch will be deadly on water maps but also a mighty force on land! The more I play the more I like AoE3, good job ES I think Age of Empires 3 has earned it's place in the Age of Series!

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 08-18-2005 @ 10:04 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
The Pillager7
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-05 09:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 42       
The Fluyt sounds awesome! (btw its Dutch)
BoloBouncer
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-05 09:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 42       
Sounds like a unique mix of possible strategies and tactics just for that one nation. I can imagine with the ability to train units on anyone's shores and produce coin in large quantities, after some HC leveling, you could develop some mean eco-attack strategies that would leave the other guy or girl reeling.

Vivir sin queso es morir - To live without cheese dip is to die
Spain will once again rule
Ryan's Blog

Age of Empires: The Musical Partake of my Ness Obsession Penny Arcade Does 'Age of Kings'

[This message has been edited by BoloBouncer (edited 08-18-2005 @ 09:07 PM).]

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 08-18-05 09:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 42       

Quote:

The Fluyt sounds awesome! (btw its Dutch)

It was a typo.

I haven't tried the Dutch yet, but after reading this it seems they are a lot better than the Portuguese (urgh ).

TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-05 10:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 42       
Read the edit ^^

TGE

Able Company (my job)

lief ericson
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-05 10:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 42       
Woah... so they're some crazy cross-race of Thor and pre-nerf Ra? Insane. Also awesome sounding.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
Byzantine2793
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-05 10:46 PM EDT (US)     6 / 42       
which civ are you trying next
redchesus
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-05 11:49 PM EDT (US)     7 / 42       
These explorer dogs are different from War Dogs right? Because I thought War Dogs were trained by explorers too (Spanish ones)
simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 02:22 AM EDT (US)     8 / 42       
Could you explain the apperance of the Ruyter please seen so there is no images of it.

ALL HAIL THE DUTCH!!

Scorpi
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 02:33 AM EDT (US)     9 / 42       
I thought the fluyt was a super multi-purpose unit. That's what i heard, anyway. It had the ability to fish, transport, and produce units

He died peacefully, because there is no sound in a total vacuum. As for the other hamsters...
SoggyFrog
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 02:35 AM EDT (US)     10 / 42       
I've only been playing the Dutch. Don't quite have the hang of the game yet, but maybe I'll put in a bunch of hours this weekend when I don't have to work.

This is where it's at
Flying Purple Hippos in AoE3!
We're your friends
gorbag orc
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 03:29 AM EDT (US)     11 / 42       
Thanks a lot TGE!!!!

I asked him to please preview the Dutch and so he did it, thanks a lot!

this is also very important which he wrote in an e-mail:

Quote:

William of Nassau is the AI personality and he is a very "Coin" oriented AI. A lot is about costs and things, pretty snooty sounding but fun ;D

So William of Orange Nassau will be the Dutch AI! (He was our first king and during the 80 years war he played an important role in defeating the Spanish, but he was also murdered in Delft by a French catholic extremist, still now descendants of him are on the throne (that's why our national color is Orange, because of our royal house)). And he will be a big boomer.

Some of my remaining questions:
- Some early ES articles said that the Dutch would also have some defensive improvements, is this true, and if so, what then are those defensive bonusses?

- Some people said the Fluyt can do multiple things, like fishing, transporting units and fighting, is this true? Btw, is it a strong war ship in battle or is it quite weak and just good with creating units like Ruyters on shores? Someone also said you start with a free Fluyt in the beginning (i think if you have a dock) is that true? And how does it look like? Someone said it looks very small, but according to what you wrote it seems to be that it is a big powerful warship.

- Some questions about the Ruyter: So he is a good raider: a light ranged cavalrist armed with pistols? What is the difference between him and a Dragoon? because a Dragoon seems to have the same abilities? Is the Ruyter expensive or cheap, is it weak? Or is it better than a Dragoon? And beside of that, how does he look like?

- How does the Dutch architecture look like? Like the architecture of another civ? Or does it has an unique architecture (or only a few buildings unique, like the Bank)?

[This message has been edited by gorbag orc (edited 08-19-2005 @ 05:51 AM).]

Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 08-19-05 05:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 42       
Thanks for this TGE, much appreciated.

Quote:

they get Pikes and Halberdiers with Skirmishers for their ranged infantry unit.

Does this mean they don't get musketeers?

Gorbag orc,

Quote:

So William of Orange Nassau will be the Dutch AI! (He was our first king and during the 80 years war etc etc

Good grief, I was under the impression our primary schools taught their pupils there's a difference between a King and a Stadhouder.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 05:40 AM EDT (US)     13 / 42       
tell us more about the ruyter pleeeease!!!!

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
gorbag orc
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 05:49 AM EDT (US)     14 / 42       
yes, he was a "Stadhouder" (steward), but today he is seen as some kind of our first King, because he started our royal house in the Netherlands.

another question: How does the pop cap work for ships?

Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 08-19-05 05:53 AM EDT (US)     15 / 42       

Quote:

yes, he was a "Stadhouder" (steward), but today he is seen as some kind of our first King, because he started our royal house in the Netherlands.

Not by historians he isn't; Louis Napoleon was our first king. Willem van Oranje was stadhouder and the ancestor of our royal line, but that doesn't make him a king yet. Perhaps you should look into the differences in power between a monarch and a stadhouder.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 06:14 AM EDT (US)     16 / 42       
ships dont take pop caps.

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
harr
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 06:26 AM EDT (US)     17 / 42       

Quote:

another question: How does the pop cap work for ships?

Quote:

ships dont take pop caps.

Yes they do (they just don't take up pop space for the normal pop cap). I don't know exactly how the system will work though.
steace43
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 06:29 AM EDT (US)     18 / 42       
Ships don't take pop slots, but there is a limit for how many ships that you can gave at a time.
StR_BalinorNZ
Skirmisher
(id: AO_BalinorNZ)
posted 08-19-05 07:05 AM EDT (US)     19 / 42       
I have a question about ships:

Do you have a "ship pop cap" much like the mech pop cap in dawn of war, that is seperate to the land unit pop cap?

StR_BalinorNZ
Ganacampo
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 09:58 AM EDT (US)     20 / 42       
You say they get pikes and hellebadiers - is the hellebadier an upgrade or another unit?

And if it is an upgrade - do they look as different from the pikeman as they do in AoC?

[This message has been edited by Ganacampo (edited 08-19-2005 @ 09:59 AM).]

gz_aoe3
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 10:01 AM EDT (US)     21 / 42       
Could you post some screenshot to show what Dutch's HC looks like?

I'm chinese.My English is not very well.
gorbag orc
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 11:22 AM EDT (US)     22 / 42       
No he can't. ES has made it forbidden for him.

@: Ganacampo, it's not "Hellebadier" but "Halberdier" in English. In Dutch it's "Hellebaardier"

[This message has been edited by gorbag orc (edited 08-19-2005 @ 11:25 AM).]

Lavk1n9
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 11:44 AM EDT (US)     23 / 42       
seems that the Dutch will have similar role in the game as they have in RoN. Pwnage on water maps. But TGE what do u mean by "there are no good water maps"???

IaMLaVy

TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 12:01 PM EDT (US)     24 / 42       
Only in the build I have. there are a lot of maps in the game but in my preview i only have 3 maps.

A lot of questions here I'm not ignoring I just feel there should be something to look forward to the game So i'll feed you the juice and make you crave the meat

TGE

Able Company (my job)

gorbag orc
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 12:56 PM EDT (US)     25 / 42       
What will be the next thing you're going to preview?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames