They seem weak though...

AuthorReplies:
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 05:12 AM EDT (US)     26 / 38       

Quote:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/721/721644/img_3001926.html
^That native guy needs to cut down on the mushrooms

Why, he looks red? If that's what you mean, then it's the carrots that he should eat less, not mushrooms .

By the way, the water in that screenshot looks so incredible, it makes the ship looks totally out of place.

The programmer(s)/artist(s) that did the water should get a bonus, and the artist(s) that did the ship should get a pay cut . (If you're reading this, I'm kidding about the pay cut, but the ship does look incompatible on that water. Try to make it better, please!)

RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 05:45 AM EDT (US)     27 / 38       

Quote:

Why, he looks red? If that's what you mean, then it's the carrots that he should eat less, not mushrooms .

No, he's really chunky, like mario when he eats a mushroom :P

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 06:03 AM EDT (US)     28 / 38       
So the Spanish actually have four UUs if we count the Missionary. I'd laugh my ass off if he's a big fat guy on a tiny donkey again. Anyway, the Spanish sound easy and fun enough, I'm happy the Lancer isn't just another variation on the Hussar. And the mastiffs (the yellowish war dogs with the HUGE maws) just look badass, I wouldn't want to see ten of them rush at my villies at five minutes into the game. It's a pity they don't show pics of the Lancer and the Rodelero tough.

@ Lief, I guess all the Royal Guard level unit have "special" names. French: RG Cuirassiers are Gendarmes, RG Skirms are Voltigeurs. Dutch: RG Halberdiers are Nassau Halberdiers. A Spanish RG Pikeman could be called Tercio Pikeman, no clue about the others.

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination

[This message has been edited by SilentScreams (edited 08-23-2005 @ 08:42 AM).]

The_Assimilator
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 08:49 AM EDT (US)     29 / 38       
I didn't see the bit about the Spanish Galleons, what are they exactly, transports armed with cannons or galleons that have an attack bonus vs other ships (especially other Galleons)?

I like the idea of the war dog, i can see myself ordering a large pack of them to attack an enemies villagers* while my human units + artilary take out the rest.

*War Dog approaches enemy villager, villager pets dog, dog rolls over for a belly scratch, dog bites off villager's leg, villager hops away screaming "He got my leg!", my army attacks,kills villagers and soldiers, wipes out enemy town.*

Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 09:04 AM EDT (US)     30 / 38       

Quote:

Didn't the Spanish Hapsburgs play a big role in Europe (lasted around 2 centuries)? I don't understand what they're saying here.

They were talking about Spain as of today.

XxEmperorxX
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 09:38 AM EDT (US)     31 / 38       
I think the lancer should be good against infantry AND calvalry, But very weak against reanged attacks to balance it. The lance is basicly carring a pike type of weapon, so he could EASILY knock off the opposing calvalry and kill them, the same like he can implae infantry. The only effective way to kill would be with ranged attacks, and they would totally desomate them.

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
V:Would you... dance with me?
Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
Echy88
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 11:30 AM EDT (US)     32 / 38       
The spanish look fun and interesting, and the war dogs look like a blast! Everything else about them seems solid, and I can easily see myself using them as my main civilization choice.
Carltheshivan
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 12:05 PM EDT (US)     33 / 38       
look at the second screenshot. looks like there are several kinds of dogs.
Gamer man
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 08:27 PM EDT (US)     34 / 38       
lol except i dont think i have heard a single person who has played the game call NE of those 4 weak.

Moooers are remembered, chirpers never die, splashers are invincable

Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 10:20 PM EDT (US)     35 / 38       

Quoted from XxEmperorxX:

I think the lancer should be good against infantry AND calvalry

Historically, lancers were always vulnerable to other cavalry. The lance is an excellent weapon for striking down against a slower-moving target, but itís a bit unwieldy and thus cavalry with swords could close quickly with the lancer, knock the point aside and attack him from close up where he couldnít retaliate.

Person of God
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 11:14 PM EDT (US)     36 / 38       
That's interesting. They recommend the Spanish for new players.
ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 08-26-05 01:04 AM EDT (US)     37 / 38       
We recommend the Spanish for new players because you don't have to remember anything special to play them. They train Settlers and soldiers in a pretty standard way and their big bonus (the Shipments) isn't something you can miss. Their UUs are fun, but not totally bizarre and they aren't missing any big holes in their techtree.

By contrast, a British player has to learn about Manors and has to really leverage them to have a strong economy.

But the Spanish aren't weak. Just yesterday we had to slow their Shipment rate down from 30% faster to 25% faster.

Chris_666
Skirmisher
posted 08-26-05 01:19 AM EDT (US)     38 / 38       
So is an expert player still going to enjoy the spanish gameplay?

"The Price of Healthy Gums is Constant Vigilance" - 2 1/2 Men

New AoE Fansite.
Envisage Gaming | Total AoE III Coverage.

[This message has been edited by Chris_666 (edited 08-28-2005 @ 09:49 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames