You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Can we have a definitive explanation of how Home City works?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Can we have a definitive explanation of how Home City works?
bigRed
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 11:06 PM EDT (US)         
1) If at lvl 1 you get 15 free cards and the deck you take into a game can be up to 20 cards, are you going to be 5 shipments short vs a player of lvl 5+? When will the other player get to utilize his extra 5 shipments?

2) How often can you receive shipments? Can you use up all 20 right at the beginning?

3) Can you see the other player's deck, or see what shipment the other player has received during the game?

4) Are higher level cards more powerful than free cards? (as in +15% woodchopping vs +10% woodchopping)

5) This might be looking too far ahead, but will it be possible to play MP on a LAN? If yes, what cards will be available in LAN games outside of ESO? What deck setups to you envision for tournaments?

[This message has been edited by bigRed (edited 08-24-2005 @ 00:01 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
eskouster
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 11:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
1) There's a difference between 'cards' and 'shipments'. Even if you have only the 15 free cards, you can ship some of them over as many times as you want (experience permitting). Your level 5 opponent will have a bigger selection of cards to ship, but he doesn't automatically get more shipments.

2) For each thing you build or kill, you get experience. After earning a set amount of experience, you can choose a shipment. So no, you can't get a ton at the beginning.

Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-05 11:37 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
I think eskouster is about right, buddy!

1) A card is what you use to GET a shipment, but it isn't an offical shipment. With my understanding, a 'card' is something you use to get a shipment, but you can use a card multiple times. Also, yeah, a level 5 Home City player will have more options for shipments, but it all realise on experiance. Experiance is obtained by completing a mission or killing an enemy unit, and for this, make sure you complete many missions early on. Other then this, I'm not sure how else one get's experiance.

2) No. You need a full bar of experiance to get one shipment, which will probably take unbarably long at the beginning of the game, and make things seem really slow at the beginning like the others .

3) No. I don't beleive you can see the enemy's cards or decks. Just to clear things up I hope you now what a "deck" is. It is simply an organized system of 20 cards. For instance, I will probably have a "RUSH" deck, a "TURTLE" deck, and a "BOOM" deck, that would be a good organized system.

4) In my understanding yes they are. For instance, a Level 2 HC may have a 150 food shipment, or seven soldiers. Once your in the Level 7 HC, you may be able to get 450 food, or maybe even twelve soldiers!

5) I'm sure there will be LAN. I beleive you can use the same HC offline as you can online, but I would think someone else could explain it better then I.

I hope I helped you, buddy, and have fun waiting anxiously for the gam like I .

Thanks,
Toy

I reject your reality, and substatute my own!

[This message has been edited by Toysoldier14 (edited 08-23-2005 @ 11:51 PM).]

Zen
Ghost
(id: Angel Zen)
posted 08-23-05 11:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
Hi,

Some of the answers to the questions can be found in the Cards/Decks/Shipments FAQ here

3.) No, but sometimes you *maybe* be able to see the side effects of the other players' shipments if you scout his base (without getting kileld) ... for example, if your opponent played the +300 food shipment card, you will see food barrels around the building where your opponent has designated as a shipment drop-site If you have a unit nearby that has the building in view

4.) Yes

5.) I think you can play on a LAN... other than that, I'm not sure which HCs and decks you may use for LAN games.

Zen

[This message has been edited by Zen (edited 08-24-2005 @ 06:24 AM).]

bigRed
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 00:00 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Thanks for the answers all, sorry I missed the FAQ, which answers my first two questions quite exhaustively

It's the last three questions that really bug me. As you say Zen, it seems scouting will become very key. Is it gonna become a game of 'hide my shipments from scouts'? And what about technology cards, no way to see the effect of those. Although I can see a problem with showing what shipment your opponent receives too. You wait to see what your opponent picks, see "your opponent received x hussars" and you instantly send for dragoons. Just seems like a lot of random factors are being introduced into gameplay.

Higher level cards being more powerful - doesn't this pretty much mean that you have to play equal HC level opponents for a fair game? You getting 400 food while I get 300 in the opening minutes to set up a boom isn't going to lead to a long game.

SoggyFrog
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 00:34 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
I'm not entirely sure, but I think there's a grading as you work into the game and with each shipment... At the beginning you'll need less XP, but as your battles become bigger and you train more unit, each individual point will count for less towards a shipment.

This is where it's at
Flying Purple Hippos in AoE3!
We're your friends
Zen
Ghost
(id: Angel Zen)
posted 08-24-05 06:27 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
Some of the higher-level cards can't be played until the later ages (like a 600 coin card that can only be played when you hit Age 2)

Also, SoggyFrog is right in saying that the shipments progressively require more XP as the # of shipments increase (i.e. the first shipment will cost less XP then the tenth shipment.)

Zen
Betz
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 07:25 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
Wouldn't it make the multiplayer part kind of imbalanced, if i get matched with someone having a higher lvl homecity. Everyone has the same number of shipments, based on the amount of experiance he gains, but if some of his cards are more powerful he will have a great advantage. For example i play a 300 foot card and he can play a 500 food card at the same time. Or another expamle would be, that he has about 5% more damage for his archers than i can have through my card. Or am i wrong?

p.s.: Another issue would be the gaming in the big leagues. Where u can have opponents wich have a 20 lvl higher homecity. Would it be possible to win against him? I think the card-system is a good inovation, but i think higher lvl players only should get a greater varity of cards to choose from and not more powerful cards what will make the multiplayer imbalanced. Or what about playing against a mate in a non ladder game. It wouldn't be fun if he doesnt stand a chance only because his homecity is low level.

Plz enlight me!

harr
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 07:31 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
There is a system to counter that problem. I'm going to say what I think it is, but don't trust my version - I can't be relied upon. I think it is that there are brackets in hc level like 1-10, 11-20, etc., if you can't be against someone in the same bracket then the higher hc level player will only be able to use cards from up to and including the bracket that the lower hc level player is in. Remember that this could be completely wrong, I'm just trying to remember what I've seen written before. The only thing I do know is that hc level doesn't make much difference to the outcome.
Betz
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 07:38 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Thx for ur answer, can someone confirm it?

Another question that is rising:

How often in a normal game lets say 40 minutes can shipments be ordered in average ?(It is clear that it depend on xp u gain, but there must be a average number)

This would be very interesting to know, someone got a hand on the game and could answer? Or someone knows how big the differences between the cards are? Lets say for a food card? On the different hc levels?

ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 08-24-05 06:09 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
For a non-Spanish player, the average is something like a shipment every 2-3 minutes. If an average game is 30-40 minutes, you might get 15-20 shipments.

Remember, most Cards can be sent once, so a higher-level HC has a limited boost over yours. If you both run out of Cards, then it is pretty much an even game from then on out.

Higher-level HCs tend to be more about versatility than power (though they are more powerful too). A L1 British city might only have 2 cavalry Cards. A L20 British city could have a Deck full of cavalry Cards, and another Deck full of defensive Cards. But if that player chooses his cav Deck, and then you switch to Dragoons, he might be sad.

Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 08:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       

Quote:

Higher-level HCs tend to be more about versatility than power (though they are more powerful too). A L1 British city might only have 2 cavalry Cards. A L20 British city could have a Deck full of cavalry Cards, and another Deck full of defensive Cards. But if that player chooses his cav Deck, and then you switch to Dragoons, he might be sad.

I sincerely hope that all the versatility is counterable and the power gap is not wide.
Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 00:24 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Thanks, Deathshrimp, that was a great post!

I can't wait for this whole thing. .

Betz, I beleive if your on ESO2, one will be looking for a lower-leveled HC enemy. Obviously, if your a level 5, you won't be taking on a level 10 or 11 just yet.

Kinda like how I never played an Isis player on ESO on TT .

Bye,
Toy

I reject your reality, and substatute my own!
bigRed
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 10:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
It's good to hear that higher lvl cards are more about versatility DS. I'm simply looking at this from a Kings view where there was a total craze about shaving seconds off "castling" then "feudaling" that required utter perfection in getting every bit of resources with your villies. In that world, having an extra 100 food in the first age would pretty much guarantee victory between closely matched opponents. I can see how getting 8 vs 6 dragoons in the third age wouldn't make or break most games, but just hope that first age cards don't get more powerful at higher levels since an extra 4 villagers vs 3 at the start would have incredible cascading effects.

I think you or someone else from ES mentioned that players will get matched based on their highest HC, so does that mean if a player gets to lvl 100 with French then start from zero with Brits he'll be matched vs lvl ~100 HC opponents?

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames