You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » seige weapons without people *(shudder)*
Bottom
Topic Subject:seige weapons without people *(shudder)*
simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 02:32 AM EDT (US)         
Quote:
In fact, what we are trying now is having no horses in bombard mode, to imply slow movement and give you an instant visual cue. by ES_DeathShrimp

Does this mean that cannons move without people (or in the case horse) like in the old 'Age of' games, because I mean that sucked big time, seeing catapults rolling up hills by themselves!!!!!

Anyway, you all probably think I'm a whinger know but if someone could explain the whoe, seige weapons stuff, it would be well appreciated (sp?)

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
AuthorReplies:
Chris_666
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:05 AM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
When you want to fire the cannon it basically unpacks (bombard mode) only alot quicker than trebuchets in aok2 and you don't see the horse but when you want to move it (limber mode) a horse is pulling it

"The Price of Healthy Gums is Constant Vigilance" - 2 1/2 Men

New AoE Fansite.
Envisage Gaming | Total AoE III Coverage.

simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:14 AM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
I'm still not getting it!!!!

Horses pull it around when it unpacks the horse just dissapears?

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
Chris_666
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:17 AM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
yea something like that, thats what Greg Street said when we were in his chat supposedly it looks good though

New AoE Fansite.

simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:18 AM EDT (US)     4 / 19       
I guess but it kills the whole 'wow' thing i reckon!!!

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
Chris_666
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:26 AM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
Yea probably wont notice it myself, too much else to look at especially while playing (it probably will help), and there are other amazing graphics

New AoE Fansite.

simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:36 AM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
true that

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:01 AM EDT (US)     7 / 19       

Quote:

In fact, what we are trying now is having no horses in bombard mode, to imply slow movement and give you an instant visual cue.

I'm not sure if that means the horses will disappear when the cannon is bombard mode, and then they'd magically reappear when the cannon is in moving mode.

If ES is really looking for a good visual cue for the bombard mode, just simply make the cannon crews detach the harness of the cannon from the horse, and push it on their own.

For packing mode, simply have the cannon crew reattach the harness back. It's not really rocket science at all .

simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:05 AM EDT (US)     8 / 19       
^ now that would be way better

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
Zizou10
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 12:59 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
I prefer seing some little people carrying the siege than magic catapults or dissapering horses
sexypanda
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 01:22 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19       
That (dissapearing horses), or a little aim simbol floating over the unpacked cannon to make them different from the packed cannon (besides being unpacked and with men at the cannon side, instead of packed and with the men guiding the horses? I mean, if it worked for RON, it may work for age3 as well...).
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 01:24 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19       
You mean midgets? aka the vertically challenged?

The Mortar is carried by people now that's a whole new category of sillyness, seeing a 2000+ pound piece of ordnance being carried by 4 guys...

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
BoloBouncer
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 01:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 19       
now that's a whole new category of sillyness, seeing a 2000+ pound piece of ordnance being carried by 4 guys...

I know, right. Back when Queen Elizabeth was building her card deck to beat the Spanish, I bet she had at least 20 guys hauling those things.

Vivir sin queso es morir - To live without cheese dip is to die
Spain will once again rule
Ryan's Blog

Age of Empires: The Musical Partake of my Ness Obsession Penny Arcade Does 'Age of Kings'

SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 01:41 PM EDT (US)     13 / 19       
Hey, I know it's a game, that doesn't mean that my pixellated soldiers have to defy the laws of physics...

Come to think of it, perhaps "Physics" is a tech that increases number of guys carrying your Mortars. Isaac Newton operated in this time period, right?

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination

[This message has been edited by SilentScreams (edited 08-25-2005 @ 02:02 PM).]

Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 02:07 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
When I played the game, the horse was at the side of the cannon while firing like this: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/gallery/aoe3-earlyshots/abb?full=1

It took a little while to unpack, but once unpacked, the firing was absolutely deadly. I think it may prove to become OP if they take this slow setup process away.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
The_Assimilator
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 02:36 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
I think that pic will reassure those of us who are concerned about the horses thing, i know it would sicken me if i saw a squad of cannons moving/firing without a crew/horse. But its good to know ES will have the horses and crews manning the cannons in the moving and firing stages when the game is finally released.

I dont know about you guys but seeing the seige weapons in AOM/AOE2 WITHOUT crews/horses REALLY ANNOYED ME! It's good to see ES have FINALLY solved that problem and added the crews.

BoloBouncer
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 02:51 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19       
Actually "Physics" IS a tech in Civilization III

Sorry about the smart alecky comment. It just never bothered me seeing the equipment move without people. I think if a massive crew was hauling the mortar, then you'd have to justify that by making a really high population cost for such an item.

Vivir sin queso es morir - To live without cheese dip is to die
Spain will once again rule
Ryan's Blog

Age of Empires: The Musical Partake of my Ness Obsession Penny Arcade Does 'Age of Kings'

Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 02:57 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19       

Quote:

I think if a massive crew was hauling the mortar, then you'd have to justify that by making a really high population cost for such an item.

But it does cost a lot of population... . Around 8 or 10 population according to one of the ES guys.

marksman1416
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 08:53 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19       
Without people moing seige units its like other games not relalistic.
Hamster of Doom
Skirmisher
posted 08-26-05 00:04 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19       

Quote:

i know it would sicken me if i saw a squad of cannons moving/firing without a crew/horse

It would sicken me to if I saw ships that do not have boardable crews, wait... they already have that.

| Dawn of Fantasy | A new innovative fantasy RTS from | Reverie World Studios LLC |
Come join us on our | Forums | as we release more information on our game.
"...It might take two to tango, but only one to spam..." - Legion
"I'm not small, I'm space-efficient." - RLC
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames