You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.43 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » I'm scared.
Bottom
Topic Subject:I'm scared.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
FOF_VenoM
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:25 AM EDT (US)         
Bungie ruined Halo 2, but they didn't think they did.
Will ES do the same? (No offense, but the whole card/deck thing is pretty strange.)

It would be cool if it worked right, but even one of your guys said "If you're playing against a way higher level guy, and he chooses a cavalry deck, and you choose a dragoon deck, then he will be very sad."

So, now we're playing poker? Gambling over the decks?

Also, since I will play the French(cavalry heavy civ), when I go into matchmaking, in the few seconds before the game starts, my opponet can go (OMG ANTI-CAVALRY DECK FOR ME HAHAHA), which renders my cavalry useless, in virtually every online game.

The only remedy for this is: You should have to be able to choose your deck based on the map, THEN the pregame lobby shows you your opponet's civilization, and the game starts. And THEN, someone could get lucky, like having chosen dragoons, when i chose cuirassier.

WTF if this game is that unbalanced, I will scream.

PLEASE ES respond.. Don't take offense to what I said.. I ahve experience with waiting for a great game which turns out to be an imbalanced piece of crap. (Halo 2)

I just don't want Multiplayer to be a toss-up, not even SLIGHTLY, and I definitely don't want people to choose their decks based on my civilization(French.)

My opponet:' liek 0mG he's playing FRENCHIES HE MUST BE USING CAVALRY, I R SO using DRAGOONs!'

AuthorReplies:
FOF_VenoM
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:28 AM EDT (US)     1 / 43       
IRT to my own topic, I need to make this more clear-

When you go into matchmaking, it should show you the map, give you 1 minute to pick your deck, and THEN show your opponet's civ, and start the game. The only problem with this is that it IS a toss up, you could've chosen a deck that SUCKS versus the other deck.

Amirite? Or am I being paranoid? WOuld very much appreciate a response from ES!

The thing that I am most concerned about is the multiplayer balance. (Obviously)

RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 43       
You have a point

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:42 AM EDT (US)     3 / 43       
I believe you choose your deck in the game with your first shipment.
FOF_VenoM
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:47 AM EDT (US)     4 / 43       
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So now the cuirassiers I will have are useless.

Opponet*starts game*
*looks at my civ*
"An effing frenchie? Well, better go with the dragoons. Yeps. GG VENOM I WIN, oR AT LEAST ITS A LOT HARDER, a lot less FUN, and I have completely robbed you of your ONLY SPECIAL UNIT, just because of this JANKY deck stuff."
Woo hoo.

That is so lame. At least I hope MP won't be as lame as the deck/shipment system portrays it.

It isn't right that they can use an anti-cavalry deck...

DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS MEANS...

If I am playing british, I could have:
1)An anti-ottoman deck.
2)An anti-Russian deck.
3)An anti-French deck.
4)An anti-German deck.
5)An anti-Portugese deck.
6)An anti-Spanish deck.
7)An anti-Dutch deck.

Then, when I play a Dutch guy, he probably has an anti-British thingy, so we BOTH have decks that are SUPPOSED to counter each other, but they of course do not now, since we're BOTH trying to counter something that isn't there, now.

Sounds a lot like trying t oguess whether your opponet is going to choose an "ANTI-YOU" deck, or if HE thinks that YOU think he will, so therefore he won't.

WTF is this, Poker? I don't want to have to call bluffs in a STRATEGY GAME!

[This message has been edited by FOF_VenoM (edited 08-25-2005 @ 05:53 AM).]

FOF_VenoM
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:54 AM EDT (US)     5 / 43       
Please listen ES. Don't make it possible to pick your deck IN RESPONSE to seeing your opponet's civilization. That would be MOST unwise.
Scud
Primus inter pares
posted 08-25-05 05:55 AM EDT (US)     6 / 43       
Hope that doesnt happen. For if they saw a cavarly heavy civ like you said, would just pick dragoon decks (liek +5 attack to them or what have you) or card advantagous to pikeman.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
FOF_VenoM
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:58 AM EDT (US)     7 / 43       
I'm glad we all see the light here, hopefully ES will address this. KEEP THE POSTS coming folks, I think this is a pretty important topic, but ONLY because I CARE SO MUCH about this game, I won't let a game that could be great be horrible. Not again.

In fact, when I played AOK lan games with my friends, we all counted to 3 and then selected our CIVS, so as not to select a counter civ based on someone else's civ.

Now, you can select a deck BASED on someone else's civilization? Insanity.

My biggest fear is having to guess.

I'm playing French, against the British. They are an infantry-laden civilization.. What do I do? Do I go with my cuirassiers, or should I assume they are going to go anti-cavalry? If they go anti-cavalry, my cuirassier deck will suck. But, what if they DON'T go anti-cavalry, but I chose a deck without too many cavalry benefits, but not since my civilization's strongest feature, (cavalry), is not top notch, MY INFANTRY HAS TO PICK UP THE SLACK, BUT THEY CAN'T BECAUSE BRITISH INFANTRY>FRENCH INFANRTRY.

I am going insane. If any of this is true, A0E3 will not be so great.

It will be a game of guessing... Pure guessing, even more luck than Poker.. In Poker, you can try to call bluffs, but you can't do that in AOE. All you can do is say, well, they're French, so I have two options.

1)A deck that will deal with cavalry.
2)A deck that will deal with other stuff.

The problem is, if the French(my opponet) suspected me of using an anti-cavalry deck, he probably didn't choose a cavalry heavy deck.

Same goes for #2.

Again, I KEEP re-iterating my point here. I'm trying to be as clear as I can.

I don't want to robbed of the BEST feature of my civilization(the french, cavalry) out of FEAR of my opponet choosing an anti-cavalry deck! THAT'S NOT STRATEGY, YOU HAVE TO BE PSYCHIC!

Furthermore, I want to beat people that are worse than me, not be beaten by them because they chose a deck tha counters mine, of course purely by chance.

Do not overlook this, ES. Please.

[This message has been edited by FOF_VenoM (edited 08-25-2005 @ 06:06 AM).]

shilly
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 06:13 AM EDT (US)     8 / 43       
Dude you should lighten up! Why are you people all such doomsdaythinkers!

I mean you have a point but not to the far place that the whole HC should be taken out. That's like ripping out a part of the game! If you don't like it go take a walk and start playing rise of legends or something.

Now let's stop just a moment! Do you honestly think that ES hasn't thought of this at all... Heck that was probably one of their first doubts, and they obviously thought that it would work because they still stick with it.
Besides they said that HC wouldn't have THAT amount of influence on the game and your not very smart to create an anti-civilisation deck, because it is meant to boost you, not hurt the opponent. It's far more about: I think I'm going to turtle and heavy on economy or lets rush this time and go set up a forward base shipping over lots o'troops. And what you say is nonsence^^. The franch in AoK also were a horse race and if you wanted to counter them you used pikemen. Can't youu see this is exactly the same, every civ can counter everything!

To conclude my speach I'd like to say that even if there proves to something wrong ES will sureley fix it in the patch, for all you know they already have the system that's going to make everything fair

[This message has been edited by shilly (edited 08-25-2005 @ 06:16 AM).]

Jazzman
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 06:14 AM EDT (US)     9 / 43       
I wouldn't worry too much. ES has said that their testers have in the vicinity of 8 to 10 viable strats for each civ (not necessarily 8-10 killer strats, but powerful at the right time if you can catch your opponent off-guard)

I don't view the decks as a 'your civ is this so i'll counter with this' type of situation. For example, imagine if someone chose a dragoon deck based on the fact that you're french. You still have the option of choosing a deck to help you rush, to help you boom, or to help boost another unit line.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I see the deck system as an opportunity to move away from the "you're the french so I'll mass pikes" mindset from early AOK. Players will have more chance than ever to be versatile and present opponenents with diverse strats for every civ.

War doesn't decide who's right. It only decides who's left.
Kumar Shah
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 07:02 AM EDT (US)     10 / 43       

Well, first - please don't double post.

Second - "Bungie ruined Halo2", thats your opinion but you are trying to state it as a fact. But this is not about Halo2 so leave that.

Third - going all out cavalry is suicide anyway and I wouldn't need a specific deck to counter just cavalry.

Fourth -

Quote:

So, now we're playing poker? Gambling over the decks?

Also, since I will play the French(cavalry heavy civ), when I go into matchmaking, in the few seconds before the game starts, my opponet can go (OMG ANTI-CAVALRY DECK FOR ME HAHAHA), which renders my cavalry useless, in virtually every online game.

The only remedy for this is: You should have to be able to choose your deck based on the map, THEN the pregame lobby shows you your opponet's civilization, and the game starts. And THEN, someone could get lucky, like having chosen dragoons, when i chose cuirassier.

Notice your last sentence - "someone could get lucky". Now thats more of a gamble than having to select a deck based on a strategy you are going to use. In its current form, you will be selecting decks based on the strategy you are going to use. Your opponenet doesn't know what strategy you are going to use. Infact, most games you will be selecting the deck 2-3 mins into the start and your opponent has no clue that you will go heavy cav.

Here, he goes dragoon heavy all you need to do is switch to cheap units which are pikemen and musketeers and you are good. Infact, I would never want to have a "dragoon heavy" deck - thats plain stupidity. Decks are more likely to be differentiated by strats - "Rush Deck", "Turtle Deck", "Naval Deck", "Boom Deck", "Cav rush deck", "Defense Deck", etc.

Quote:

WTF if this game is that unbalanced, I will scream.

PLEASE ES respond.. Don't take offense to what I said.. I ahve experience with waiting for a great game which turns out to be an imbalanced piece of crap. (Halo 2)

I just don't want Multiplayer to be a toss-up, not even SLIGHTLY, and I definitely don't want people to choose their decks based on my civilization(French.)

My opponet:' liek 0mG he's playing FRENCHIES HE MUST BE USING CAVALRY, I R SO using DRAGOONs!'

Have you heard anybody who has played the game saying its unbalanced, WTF, don't scream.

Also, going French doesn't mean you have to just go cavalry. They have great cavalry, but quite frankly, this isn't AoK where you can go all out Paladins, or go all out Champions and win. Same way, if your opponent goes all out dragoons its easy to counter.

Quote:

Amirite? Or am I being paranoid? WOuld very much appreciate a response from ES!

The thing that I am most concerned about is the multiplayer balance. (Obviously)

ES is also concerned about that. They have a post ship team this time dedicated to Age3 support including fixing balance issues. Its obvious that no game ships out perfectly balanced.

Quote:

So now the cuirassiers I will have are useless.

Opponet*starts game*
*looks at my civ*
"An effing frenchie? Well, better go with the dragoons. Yeps. GG VENOM I WIN, oR AT LEAST ITS A LOT HARDER, a lot less FUN, and I have completely robbed you of your ONLY SPECIAL UNIT, just because of this JANKY deck stuff."
Woo hoo.

That is so lame. At least I hope MP won't be as lame as the deck/shipment system portrays it.

MP is freaking fun because of the deck/shipment system. You are just looking at it in an extremely negative and paranoid way.

Quote:

It isn't right that they can use an anti-cavalry deck...

DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS MEANS...

If I am playing british, I could have:
1)An anti-ottoman deck.
2)An anti-Russian deck.
3)An anti-French deck.
4)An anti-German deck.
5)An anti-Portugese deck.
6)An anti-Spanish deck.
7)An anti-Dutch deck.

There can't be an "anti-civ" deck. A civ doesn't need to use just one strat. For example in my games at ES, there was me and someone else playing Russians. He went cav archer heavy while I was heavy on some infantry. Go select an Anti-Russian deck for that, what are you going to counter? Each civ can execute different strategies, you don't need to concentrate on just a cav strat with French.

Quote:

Then, when I play a Dutch guy, he probably has an anti-British thingy, so we BOTH have decks that are SUPPOSED to counter each other, but they of course do not now, since we're BOTH trying to counter something that isn't there, now.

Sounds a lot like trying t oguess whether your opponet is going to choose an "ANTI-YOU" deck, or if HE thinks that YOU think he will, so therefore he won't.

WTF is this, Poker? I don't want to have to call bluffs in a STRATEGY GAME!

WTF...there is no "poker" in here. You are not betting in the blind while selecting a deck. You are going to select a deck in the first 2-3 mins of the game and you will do that based on a strat you are going to use. If you keep selecting a deck based on your opponenets civ only, when you don't even know what strategy he is going to implement, how is it going to help you big time?

The decks help you in the game, in no way do they just decide whether you win or lose the game. Infact, one of the best players we had amongst us at ES had a total economic deck. He was hardly using any military cards. See the tradeoff? In the end, the result will also depend a lot on your economic management and your microing. I don't need a deck to counter cavalry, I need pikemen and dragoons. You don't need a deck to counter pikemen and dragoons - you need crossbows, musketeers and oh, what the hell, just ally with the natives - go cav archer heavy.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 07:40 AM EDT (US)     11 / 43       
FDF,

Your point "sounds" logical, but that's where it ends. I've played the game and that's not how it works.

Even if the enemy has an Anti-cav (dragoon) card, and he submits it on you to your sword cav attack, it isn't going to be all-out mayhem determining the winner of the game. Remember, these cards do not become available until the circular meter fills up after the second age, and most players use those card slots for econ boosts. A card of cavalry or dragoons (I never did see a level where dragoons were available) are usually no more than 5 or 6 units large. But dragoons die horribly to musket infantry and counter them rather well, and it is a cake walk training infantry and pikemen at your base to repel early attacks. This is not to mention that a few musket infantry cards become available early even on your first HC levels.

Not to mention some civs like Germany (I think it's Germany anyway) get to plop down 3 towers with a wagon at the start of the game.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 08-25-2005 @ 07:43 AM).]

X2C_41nT2L82Qu1T
Banned
posted 08-25-05 09:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 43       
Didnt read this whole thread but it would be easy to use those decks to YOUR advantage. He might know what your civ bonusses are but he doesnt know what your deck is made of, why not take a deck that counters your specialty units counter?
BoloBouncer
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 12:56 PM EDT (US)     13 / 43       
Now this just reminds me of that episode of the A-Team where they were trying to get BA to ride in a plane but he wouldn't. So they put sleeping medicine in his hamburger and all went on a picnic.

He grabs the hamburger and is about to chow down.

"Wait a second. You don't think I know what's goin' on?"

He switches hamburgers with Hannibal and smiles. He's about to take another bite.

"Wait, you knew that I'd know that there was somethin' in MY burger."

He switches back with Hannibal and is about to eat.

"Hold on. You knew that I knew that you'd know.."

And it continues on like this. Finally BA ends up with his original burger, eats it, and passes out.

Welcome to the AoE3 Card Game.

Vivir sin queso es morir - To live without cheese dip is to die
Spain will once again rule
Ryan's Blog

Age of Empires: The Musical Partake of my Ness Obsession Penny Arcade Does 'Age of Kings'

Vuredel
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 01:38 PM EDT (US)     14 / 43       
Venom, if you are playing someone that you are better than, deck choice really won't be much of an issue, because the difference in skill will win the day. If, however, you're playing someone about at your skill level, deck choice certainly helps (as has already been mentioned), but does not cement the game's outcome. You'll still be more than able to outthink your opponent (provided you don't have another paranoia attack). ES has made this game very dynamic and has added tons of depth, so anything can affect the game's outcome, not just deck choice. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, Gendarmes (the French "Royal Guard" Cuirassier) are powerful enough that they're even hard for anti-cav units to take down (not that they can't be).
Bossman
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 01:55 PM EDT (US)     15 / 43       
The deck system is one of the best new features of AoE3. The reason why Magic the Gathering is so popular is because of the thousands of different decks and strategies you can have and I'm sure that it will work nicely in AoE3 as well.
ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 08-25-05 02:03 PM EDT (US)     16 / 43       
It isn't fun to pick your Deck before a game starts. We tried it. It totally kills picking a random map, and even on a known map you want to vary your strategy depending on starting conditions, e.g. a nearby Native, lots of Coin, in the pocket.

What we found with pre-picking Decks is players just resigned if they got in the game and found their opponent had picked a better Deck. It was a blind choice, not an informed decision.

Picking a Deck in game is fun. You can wait and wait to choose your Deck until you see what the other guy does, but at some point you are missing out on your early Shipments and falling behind. Someone has to blink.

If you are French and you think the other guy may play his anti-cavalry Deck, then don't play your cavalry Deck. Play your mixed cav / infantry deck, or your Native deck, or your rushing Deck or your Factory Deck.

Even if you do pick your Cavalry Deck, and he picks anti-cavalry, all is not lost. Your Cav Deck has at max 20 Cav Cards, and likely a lot less. You can choose to not send your Cavalry Cards. Or, you can still send your Cav Cards (you are going to want them to deal with artillery regardless) but then gear your whole New World economy to train Musketeers and Skirmishers. Or rush him, knowing that his Dragoons don't come on line until Age3.

This isn't the card game War, where you throw down a Deck and he throws down a Deck, and the highest Card wins. There is a lot more to it than that.

Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 43       
You really sound like a 12 year old venom. Your typing is terrible and so are your points.

The simple fact is, every description of this system has come down to these cards are almost all things you could get anyways. Your opponent does not know you plan to go nuts with calvary, he may know you're playing the french but the french aren't calvary only. If you go all out calvary he doesn't even need a deck with dragoons in it. He can play a naval deck, make enough dragoons to wreck your calvary on his own economic power and then bombard you to death from the sea. Technically if all you make is calvary he doesn't even need to use his HC. If the game was entirely dependent on the card/deck system it would no longer be an RTS. You still collect resources and run things under your own economic power. The card/deck system only expands your options. It does not increase the inherent amount of chance in an RTS(the inherent amount being I don't know what my opponent is doing and he doesn't know what I'm doing). My ONLY complaint about the HC system is that you have to level up to use all your options. However, this potentially adds to the fun and replay value and ultimately those are the two most important parts of any game so its not much of a complaint.

Moocher
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:49 PM EDT (US)     18 / 43       
Wow too many choices. If what eathshripmp said. Wow. And i was dissapointed in not having Random civ. With I can understand venoms point but with each deck being different, i'm sure it will balance out tin the end.

Amazing that they can balance something so braod as this. Again see concerns though.

yop
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 04:11 PM EDT (US)     19 / 43       
I'm still dissapointed in not having Random civ. I just don't see why it can't be there.

I don't care about random civ. for now, but in 6-8 months, after playing much with every civs, I'll want random civ really badly to spice up my games.

FOF_VenoM
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 04:26 PM EDT (US)     20 / 43       
Thanks very much Deathshrimp. I can't tell you how much it means to have a game representative care enough to talk to the little people about the product.
However,
"If you are French and you think the other guy may play his anti-cavalry Deck, then don't play your cavalry Deck. Play your mixed cav / infantry deck, or your Native deck, or your rushing Deck or your Factory Deck." - ES DeathShrimp

^ That concerns me. If I THINK he might play his anti-cavalry deck? I don't want to gamble. I feel twice as good about the game because of some of the posts that have been made here, but when an ES official makes a post telling me to try and GUESS what the other guy will play- that concerns me. A lot.

Secondly, the flaming here is ridiculous. I have already been told that I am 1)Immature, 2)I suck at typing(wtf?)
3)whatever.

Also, no, of course I don't plan to use just cavalry. I do plan to play cuirassiers, and not lightly.

Anyway, I still don't think that I should have to gamble AT ALL, Deathshrimp. Why should I have to guess whether the guy has an anti-cavalry deck? That isn't cool. The French are good because of their cavalry, people WILL play decks with heavy bonuses against cavalry.

You might say "well don't play cavalry then.", But it doesn't work like that, I WANT to use cavalry, that's just the French's THING, you know. My special unit shouldnt just be rendered half-useless because of my opponet choosing his deck that can deal with the French.

However, I will apologize for wording my posts so... aggressively. I am actually surprised that ES was generous enough to even post here, I didn't expect that.

Another question, you can't see the deck your opponet chose, can you?

Finally, I don't think it's fair that someone could randomly choose a deck that does well against yours. If you are playing a person of equal skill and they choose a deck,(by chance, since they don't know what strat you're using), then you will probably lose.

PS- Are there still blacksmiths in the game? There should be. That way you still have SOME option if someone chooses a deck that's good against yours; you can upgrade the pikemen or whatever, for an example. (If I was coming at you with cuirassiers.)

[This message has been edited by FOF_VenoM (edited 08-25-2005 @ 04:36 PM).]

fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 04:39 PM EDT (US)     21 / 43       
I personally do not believe the deck will decide the game.

Sure it can and will provide an advantage in assisting a player's strategy or helping a player counter an attack, but the player's skill will still be the determining factor.

I bet an expert could beat an intermediate, intermediate beats a rookie and rookie beats the newbie, without the decks.

I like the idea of picking the deck once the game starts, as DS mentions, playing random maps would stink if the deck was selected ahead of time. Picking the infantry deck and ending up on a water map would suck.

P.S. Venom, try using the bold codes instead of typing so many capitalized words. I skipped your follow up posts because of the "shouting".

FOF_VenoM
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 04:40 PM EDT (US)     22 / 43       
Sorry to double post, but my post above is too long now. Please read it if you read this.

Here is a quote from only a few selections above.

"If you are French and you think the other guy may play his anti-cavalry Deck, then don't play your cavalry Deck. Play your mixed cav / infantry deck, or your Native deck, or your rushing Deck or your Factory Deck."

"Even if you do pick your Cavalry Deck, and he picks anti-cavalry, all is not lost. Your Cav Deck has at max 20 Cav Cards, and likely a lot less. You can choose to not send your Cavalry Cards. Or, you can still send your Cav Cards (you are going to want them to deal with artillery regardless) but then gear your whole New World economy to train Musketeers and Skirmishers. Or rush him, knowing that his Dragoons don't come on line until Age3." - ES DeathShrimp

Sounds like there is a lot of gambling involved.

And, again, is there a blacksmith in AOE 3?

I see your point though, people, if someone chooses a Dragoon only deck, that would be retarded. It would be easy to beat. But, if someone has a well balanced deck,and it renders my cav useless, remember the French infantry is nothing special. My STRONG point has been weakened. That hurts, and it wasn't my fault.

Even with all my doubts, I suspect the game will be ok in the end. I just don't want ANY percent of the game to be a gamble,or a guess.

PS- I don't mean to shout. Just emphasizing my words when I capitalize them.

I will check this forum again tomorrow. I hope to god that if two players that are the same, EXACT skill play each other, that the deck choice doesn't decide the outcome.

[This message has been edited by FOF_VenoM (edited 08-25-2005 @ 04:44 PM).]

Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:29 PM EDT (US)     23 / 43       

Quote:

PS- I don't mean to shout. Just emphasizing my words when I capitalize them.

VenoM,

You can go to your account option, and check the box for BBCode Assisstance. It will give you a toolbar that you can use to bold, italize the text, etc.

Very good topic, by the way. I agree with everything you have said, and especialy that part about the "bluffing your opponent to use a deck of cards so that you can counter with your own".

IMHO, you're very perceptive and have good insight! If I remember correctly, ES mentioned about the "shipment bluffing" a while back and they felt the idea was "exciting."

The idea of the HC's decks/strategies are very innovative in my opinion, but I'm not exactly sure how it will work out in a real game. AoM's minor god selection ("God buffet" as it was named in the system files ) sounded really good in theory, but in the game... it got lame really fast. The choices were no-brainers.

Anyhow, we just have to wait until we try out the game to really know if this deck system will make or break the multiplayer balance. (Hopefully all the civs will be overpowered that they all end up being balanced )

Heinrich
Banned
posted 08-25-05 05:36 PM EDT (US)     24 / 43       
OMG i can't believe how stupid you are. You are acting like a baby 'I WANT TO PLAY ONLY FRENCH AND ONLY CAVALARY'
Go away from this bord moron.
sexypanda
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 05:51 PM EDT (US)     25 / 43       
I dont think cards will be THAT decisive... I think of HC as an invisible University alá AoK, who can give you small bonuses from time to time... a tech, few units, etc. You buy them with XP. And you can choose at the game beginning what will you find in this 'university'.

--"You might say "well don't play cavalry then.", But it doesn't work like that, I WANT to use cavalry, that's just the French's THING, you know. My special unit shouldnt just be rendered half-useless because of my opponet choosing his deck that can deal with the French."

Spanish have the best melee infantry, british has a nice musketteer, and dutch has the best ranged cavalry. Even Russian seem to have a UU mounted archer. See, half of the civs in the game have a anti-cavalry UU. One has to be dumb to choose an anti cav deck only b/c his opponent is french and may employ and mass a UU horseman at fortress age...

Id rather choose a deck that helps me with the fact that this map is an Island map, or a deck that gives me native bonuses if theres two native tribes close to me, or a deck that deals with your incoming rush..

I loved the HC idea from the first moment they released info about it. Give it a try, read some of the old posts, when did you joined this forum, yesterday? Youll get used and love the HC idea

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames