You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies, Closed
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Why is it called smurfing? what IS smurfing for starters!!! :o/
Bottom
Topic Subject:Why is it called smurfing? what IS smurfing for starters!!! :o/
langdon_auger
Skirmisher
posted 08-31-05 11:14 AM EDT (US)         
I laughed out loud (for real!) when I read something about "smurfing" on this site.

What is it?

Sounds like some strange homosexual sex act!

you know....

"Bend over, sweet cheeks. I'm gonna give you a good smurfing! I'm the Papa smurf! Your smurf Daddy! We're immune to the charms of lady smurf!"

I'm by no means homophobic, so don't even start with that stuff.

AuthorReplies:
Pwned
Skirmisher
(id: You_Are_Pwned)
posted 08-31-05 11:16 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
"Bend over, sweet cheeks. I'm gonna give you a good smurfing! I'm the Papa smurf! Your smurf Daddy! We're immune to the charms of lady smurf!"

ROFL

ada
Bowtome
Skirmisher
posted 08-31-05 11:19 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Its when a 2000 rated player (Or at least high rated) creates a new name and then plays people of 1600,1700,1800 rated who he knows he can beat. It wastes his and their time.

Sometimes though 2000 rated games just cant find enough of equal skill to play so creates a new name.

ESO name UKGODZ_Thor, UKGODZ_Bowtome
The MIghty 8 Clan
langdon_auger
Skirmisher
posted 08-31-05 11:25 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
That's straight up cowardly.

I've never played an online game before, and I'd get killed quick my first few times, especially to someone with alot of experience!

It must be much harder to play a real intelligence.

I just turtle the bastards, and never lose! With the AI, that is.

I think I'm using the lingo right, right?

I'm under the impression that "turtling" is when you fortify your base heavily and just hold your defenses until your opponents run dry.

I usually expand my base until the entire map is just castles and drop sites. Can't lose then!

smurfmerc
Skirmisher
posted 08-31-05 11:29 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
With War3 Bnet had a good match making system, but soon enough top players started to smurf. In an effort to get rid of this blizzard made a matching system based on winning streaks, so if you had a big winning streak going you could end up playing a highly ranked player with another big winning streak. They also took out losing to decrease your rank, so if you were low and played someone high you wouldnt lose exp if you lost. Well blizz just made is worse... top players would go into games and quit to get a losing to streak so they could play noobs all the way to number 1 in the ladder without having to play someone skilled. I left war3 with the new matching system. Im sure they fixed it now, but you ended up playing matching system abusers if you lost and good players if you won .
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 08-31-05 11:41 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Hehe, I remember when War3 made that change about a year ago, to stop smurfing. It ironically just made smurfing ten times worse and even more rewarding because people could smurf all the way to number #1.

I think thats about the time I stopped playing rated war3 and just played custom games...and this is still the case now, the system still hasn't change much.

AoE3's account restriction will prevent smurfing (except for really rich people with too much money for their own good, lol)

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 08-31-05 06:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
You'd think that at 2000 you'd be proud to bear that rating...

I knew noobs could be bad, but experts?

XxEmperorxX
Skirmisher
posted 08-31-05 06:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       

Good to see a rather new face around. (I consider 9 posts in 1 month as rather new)

Quote:

lol...

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
V:Would you... dance with me?
Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
mike_the_mad
Skirmisher
posted 08-31-05 08:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Welcome

Quote:

This ain't that kinda forum

Smurfing=Creating a new account, because people refuse to play against your highly rated account because they don't wanna get trashed.

I am LuNatic, Dark lord of the sif
~Fear Me Mortals~
[-GREEM-] Best. Clan. Ever.
Kr0n0s
Skirmisher
posted 08-31-05 08:54 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Originally, it was called smurfing because two top players in Bnet decided to make 2 new accounts to look though they are newbs and challenged 2 other high skilled players. The names they used for their new accounts were PaPa_SmUrf and somethingelse_smurf. They won their opponents, and didn't reveal their identity in the end...
Hence the word "smurf" and "smurfing" came from the fact that they used two smurf names.

Now I cant garantee you this is true, but I've heared this version before many times when smurfing was popular in AoM.

ESO2: Munch
Clan: [wW] Weekend Widowmakers
Cheesewiz
HG Alumnus
posted 08-31-05 08:57 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
Ok, well I think that's been cleared up now.

Closing this.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames