You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.47 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Demo discussion thread.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Demo discussion thread.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 06:47 PM EDT (US)         
So stuff does not get lost in the Demo Out Now thread.

So far everything has run smoothly with all things turned on. Did not want to launch with SLi on, but I may need to tweak things.

Tis a lot of fun with the various treasures, trade routes and general old Age gameplay.

Need to learn those short cut keys quickly.

AuthorReplies:
nwadams
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 10:48 PM EDT (US)     26 / 47       
i have a radeon 8500 that i was playing it on(my dad's comp) but his cpu was only 1.2ghz(it said i was below the min and asked to exit or try to start anyways and it worked) so i had to keep the graphics on low-mid so it wouldn't lag at all and it still looks really good
GregP
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 10:55 PM EDT (US)     27 / 47       
Nebo and OHN767,

I'm having the exact same problem, and MAN what a letdown this is after the excitement of seeing that the demo came out today. I have zero problems with any other games and keep my system in great shape; no IM, no Kazaa etc., no anti-virus, etc.

My system is Athlon XP 3000+, 1gig Corsair PC3200, Radeon X800XT, WinXP w/SP2, DirectX9.0c. I tried dropping desktop res down to 16-bit, as this sometimes solves CTD problems with other demos, but no luck. And there's no log file giving any info in the game install directory.

I really hope somebody figures this one out. I haven't had a totally anonymous CTD in a game in years.

EDIT: OK, just found the Age3Log.txt file in the My Documents folder - but it's empty.

[This message has been edited by GregP (edited 09-07-2005 @ 10:58 PM).]

darknessoffate
Banned
posted 09-07-05 10:56 PM EDT (US)     28 / 47       

Quote:

EDIT: Is it possible with Firefox, to pause your d/l, disconnect, then start again. Because the last time I tried that, it didn't work.

Dude you shuold get "getright" its a free download manager that lets you resume downloads. It has rare nag screens but they get more numerous the more files you download. It works flawlessy tho and you really shold get it. just google it.

I hope this helps

[This message has been edited by darknessoffate (edited 09-07-2005 @ 11:04 PM).]

Cath_Orion
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 11:46 PM EDT (US)     29 / 47       
So far, I'm not impressed with the game. By the way they were marketing this game, I was expecting it to be as good as AOC. From what I've played of the demo, it's AOM injected with a bit of AOE.

Like AOM, AOE3 units have no "feel" to them. Units just change classes and don't have many (or any) visible phyiscal changes.

I dislike the home city feature. It just doesn't add depth like it was supposed to. I'd say it's definitely more broad than it is deep, and it's a natural turn off to RTS players that prefer to "earn" everything by playing rather than just having them given for free. HC is going to greatly affect strategy, but some experts will end up finding a few cards that play well with certain strategies and, as history would suggest, a series of patches will follow to correct the so-called balance errors.

Summary: I'll wait for the retail version before writing this in stone... It appears that ES has made a great game for the casual gamer and that the hardcore gamer has little to like about this game. AOC remains the pinnacle of Age-series achievement, and to ES's credit, it would be damn hard to put another masterpiece like that. If ES wants to re-produce the satisfying gameplay of AOC in one of its upcoming titles, they should seek out some AOC experts for playtesting/balance.

I hope someone at ES hears me I speak for almost every currently-good AOC player in this post. Even if we end up disliking AOE3 we will always love you for creating the first four Age games, and we hope that some day you can make a fifth game worthy of our love

[This message has been edited by Cath_Orion (edited 09-07-2005 @ 11:47 PM).]

eskouster
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 11:53 PM EDT (US)     30 / 47       
The overall impression of the game is overwhelming/uninteresting at first. Especially on a non-uber PC that lags a bit. But the more play, the more I'm likin' it.

I think the economic depth is amazing. Seriously, with berries, sheep, crates, manors spawning settlers, hunting, fishing, and treasures for just food-related strategy in the first age, that's pretty deep.

The Home City is fun AND strategic. For some reason, there's never a shipment when I want one, and I always seem to pick the wrong one. That tells me it's something with depth/complexity/interest to it.

Unit differentiation IS somewhat weak though. It's hard to tell Longbowman from Musketeers quickly, especially with most graphics set to minimum. (No smoke from musket fire.)

Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 11:58 PM EDT (US)     31 / 47       
I'd be liking it more if it wasn't for the bizarre pattern of square shadows accross the screen.

Anyway, at the moment I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed. I really don't like the bright, cartoony look, nor the campaign which seems to go for some story about cliche action heroes over anything resembling history.

That being said, I've only played it for about five minutes so I won't make any major judgements yet.

Belesarius_WHT
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 11:58 PM EDT (US)     32 / 47       
I think im gonna let my game sit that I have goin right now and go to sleep and see what lvl I am when I get back on.

Everytime I start the demo it says my graphics card isnt up to date but I ignore it and it runs great lol.

Honestly though..im bored. I think I will play some AoC now.

[This message has been edited by Belesarius_WHT (edited 09-08-2005 @ 00:04 AM).]

Imortal Odysseus
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 00:28 AM EDT (US)     33 / 47       
i have 2 q's
how do you pause?
what map size do you think that was, how big do you think the biggest was?
any nteresting shortcuts i should know about?

THE DEATH OF ONE IS A TRAGEDY
THE DEATH OF MILLIONS IS JUST A STATISTIC
Gagylpus
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 00:41 AM EDT (US)     34 / 47       
Well, the game was awesome, but I was rather dissapointed by my compy's inability to do good graphics. It doesn't help that I have some weird bug with my graphics where everything gets darker when a fullscreen app runs... most games have a brightness control that I can use to fix this, but, unfortunately, not this one.
So it's a bit hard to see - but really fun!
simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 00:42 AM EDT (US)     35 / 47       
Quote:
'd be liking it more if it wasn't for the bizarre pattern of square shadows accross the screen.

Go to options, and turn of shadows

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 00:44 AM EDT (US)     36 / 47       
Quote:
i have 2 q's
how do you pause?
what map size do you think that was, how big do you think the biggest was?
any nteresting shortcuts i should know about?

1.click menu
2.i think medium
3.nope

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 00:45 AM EDT (US)     37 / 47       
Quote:
I dislike the home city feature. It just doesn't add depth like it was supposed to. I'd say it's definitely more broad than it is deep, and it's a natural turn off to RTS players that prefer to "earn" everything by playing rather than just having them given for free. HC is going to greatly affect strategy, but some experts will end up finding a few cards that play well with certain strategies and, as history would suggest, a series of patches will follow to correct the so-called balance errors.

OMG I LOVE THE HC!!! it DOES add depth!

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
Chris_666
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 00:47 AM EDT (US)     38 / 47       
Oh my god! i've been playing for what i thought was 30m but its been 1 hour 30m. Time flys by its so cool, i can only imagine what the full game is going to be like!!!

"The Price of Healthy Gums is Constant Vigilance" - 2 1/2 Men

New AoE Fansite.
Envisage Gaming | Total AoE III Coverage.

[This message has been edited by Chris_666 (edited 09-08-2005 @ 00:49 AM).]

Spoon201
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 00:54 AM EDT (US)     39 / 47       
This is demo is a pain in the butt. It keeps telling me it is having an erorr intializing Direct3D IT wont start.

My Laptop is top Of the line stuff to

Dell Inspirion 9300
2.6ghz PEntium Centrino
2 GB RAM
256MB Nivida 6800

Belesarius_WHT
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 01:07 AM EDT (US)     40 / 47       
dammit
no lvl 10 im sad
why are my monks flying around on there backs!!
Mazarin_LOL
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 01:09 AM EDT (US)     41 / 47       
<3 <3 <3 <3 cannons <3 <3 <3 <3

Mazarin Ashinar
The Legion of Light
xDeSx
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 01:16 AM EDT (US)     42 / 47       
The game is amazing I love expanding the city and since the gfx looks so damn good on my computer its even funner Anyway is it just me or is the melee combat just way off?

I will tell you it took me a bit to get use to AOE gameplay. I've been playing Rome Total War and that game is amazing in its own rights.

ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 09-08-05 01:38 AM EDT (US)     43 / 47       
If you see the priest on his side, you might check your graphic settings (Options, Graphics) and see if you were defaulted to low-poly mode. The priest works in high-poly mode and some machines which can run high-poly just fine were defaulting to low poly for some reason.

You can use the Alt key to tab back and forth between unit stats and commands. It takes some getting used to, but we didn't want to take up any more space with the UI to show it all at once.

Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 01:41 AM EDT (US)     44 / 47       
After playing another game, it is growing on me a bit. I like the Home City feature, and I like like the trade routes and native alliances - there's a real element of map control in AoEIII. Also, with persistent Home Cities there's a real incentive to keep playing. Playing the game, I do get a bit of the old AoE feel. I still prefer AoK, but I think it has potential.
Belesarius_WHT
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 01:44 AM EDT (US)     45 / 47       
Can anyone else get past lvl 9 home city?
Mazarin_LOL
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 01:52 AM EDT (US)     46 / 47       
Level 9 is the limit for the demo, I think

Mazarin Ashinar
The Legion of Light
GregP
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 02:34 AM EDT (US)     47 / 47       
Nebo and OHN767,

I just tried changing my FSAA and AF settings to application controlled rather than forcing them outside the game, and I got the game to run. It did CTD again after that when I started the game up for the second time, but the third time it worked. So if you have different settings, you might want to give these a try.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames