You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.26 replies, Closed
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » If you don't like the game, post all your whining in this thread!
Bottom
Topic Subject:If you don't like the game, post all your whining in this thread!
bigRed
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 02:53 AM EDT (US)         
That way the rest of us don't have to watch you pollute every other thread. Actually, a mod should make a sticky specifically for this purpose, so that every mr. "I registered today to post a novel about how I played an early demo for ten minutes and couldn't maintain a steady erection so I'll post an incoherent babble that has no chance of changing anything whatsoever except rile up a few people" can share their thoughts with like minded people.

Seriously, posts keep pouring on about how this game is the same old thing, how HC is boring and you weren't impressed. Reading these threads makes me think nothing short of character Black jumping out of the screen and giving you a blow job would impress some of you people. How's a purposely old school RTS game supposed to dazzle? This isn't a fancy FPS game where you take part in a cinematic experience. You place building, make units, get some upgrades and do battle. This game is about meat and potatoes, and if decisions like +15% hunting bonus vs 6 pikemen don't tickle your wit, may I suggest that you might be better off watching your school-o'-fish cavalry in RTW smashing into brain-dead enemy and sending them flying ten feet up.

The only way this game can fail on its own merits is if it doesn't provide a balanced, flexible, varied RTS experience. It has all the pieces in place to accomplish that potential. Seeing how the demo has only been out for a few days with a lacking AI as the only opponent, you simply cannot make a judgement on whether this game will fail. So please, get a grip.

[This message has been edited by bigRed (edited 09-10-2005 @ 02:54 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
slayerman
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 02:56 AM EDT (US)     1 / 26       
Wow greatly written.
beekay
Skirmisher
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 09-10-05 03:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 26       
Hey, yeah! If you want to discuss AoE3, do it [link]here![/link]

sig
theblitz
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 03:09 AM EDT (US)     3 / 26       
Nice! Teach all those annoying "real" aoe players that it is a game ment for fun, not to give them an orgasm.
simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 03:30 AM EDT (US)     4 / 26       
Here here bigRed you said like God only could of

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
Oscar
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 03:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 26       
1500-1800, an epoch too much exploited in RTS games

Strategy games are without doubt my main hobby and before testing this demo I have played cossaks, imperial glory, empire earth 1&2, rise of nation, anno 1503 and other games set in this epoch or that at least can be set in this period. Well when I've played the demo of AoE3 I didn't found anything of original that break with the previous rts. To be sincere when I started playing a random map I wondered if by mistake I've started Empire Earth 2 and not the demo (the graphic of both games is really similar, at least on my comp)... In any case I have to say that there are some originals elements, like the explorer (multipurpose unit, he reminds me the heros of aom ), the ships that can train land units or the possibility to train American natives, but they are not enought in my opinion to describe Aoe3 as a masterpiece that has to be bought. For me Aoe3, al least considering the demo, is just a (good) game like the others and not the best game ever done that I saw in the previews.
Sorry for the bad english.
regards

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
Proud member of no ****ing clan
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

rest in peace Compy (February 2001, May 2006)
Scenario Editor Screens

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited 09-10-2005 @ 03:52 AM).]

CrazyMrLeo
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 03:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 26       
I'm sorry, I thought this forum was to discuss the demo, not mindlessly praise it. Discussion is going to lead to negative comments at some point.

I enjoy the demo, It's fun. But I have problems with it as well, and I should be allowed to discuss those problems in regular topics without having people accusing me of polluting the forum.

-CrazyMrLeo
all things considered, life is pretty great
upstart
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 04:08 AM EDT (US)     7 / 26       
Exactly. The only way it will get better is if people say what they like vs. what they don't like. I have already witnessed this taking place as the ES crew are post messages like the UI will be smaller in the final, and maybe even an option for a super compact one.

So some criticism is good. True, some people take it out of bounds(ie. it doesn't look EXACTLY like the screenies in pcwanker magazine or the fish are not jumping in different directings--it sux0rs) but you will get those with every game.

Maybe the mods should make a different room for criticisms or reviews? But just one thread for anything negative is going too far.

beekay
Skirmisher
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 09-10-05 04:38 AM EDT (US)     8 / 26       

Quote:

I'm sorry, I thought this forum was to discuss the demo, not mindlessly praise it.

You just owned them all. I salute you, sir.

sig
K110
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 05:28 AM EDT (US)     9 / 26       
I can only choose max 40 people. Why?
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 05:38 AM EDT (US)     10 / 26       
I'm biased, not so much because I work for HG but more because I've gotten to play a version of the full game for over a month. I like AoE3 I like it a lot, it has some big ass shoes to fill. Some people think it is filling the shoes some don't. Sequels to highly rated games are very hard to pull off (this is one of the reasons there is no Star Craft 2). I think that AoE3 captures enough of a new flavor while still sticking close enough to AoK to be acceptable as a "good" sequel.

I like that there is a lot of game altering options to make while playing, I don't really like having to leave the game screen for shipments, I am not a fan of the big UI (I have said this since I first got the preview), I am not a fan of naval combat (never have been in any RTS).

I do like that shipments can mean the difference of win lose so if a player feels the need they can save a shipment just for a response for if they are being atatcked. I do like that the units have their roles (they may seem similar now but like just about all historical RTS games that have been produced in the past 4 years most units are hard to tell apart at first) once you get used to their animations you will be able to tell them apart very easily. I love the diversity in civs, each plays very differently and for that I give ES a huge hug *hugs*, now it matters how you play base on civs as well as skill.

Over all AoE3 lives up to the Age name, there are new things and features that are hard for a lot of AoK vets to grasp (took me a few days of nonstop playing to get used to the HCs and what cards are "really" needed). If you look at what the age games did is they put you in the timeline, AoE gave me the Empire building feel, AoK brought the history of the great kingdoms to my PC, and now AoE3 helps to set me in the new world. You can't expect AoE3 to be a carbon copy of AoK gameplay... it would be a horrible game. I think the gameplay changes made were fitting for the timeline of the game. No drop sites could reflect that settlers had to live off the land and didn't have to give everything to the governments like they did in AoE/AoK (of course that's just a personal reason for it, other may have their own thoughts). ranged combat was paramount in the new world, I think personally that ES did a fine job at trying to keep ranged and melee combat in a decent balance, works pretty well.

Now there are a million things I could nitpick at, some have merit (big UI) some don't have much merit (finding a bear that can be used as a unit) but if it really doesn't play that huge a role in imbalancing the game I feel it's fine. What matters most to me is having an updated historical RTS that plays well online, AoE3 not only follows in the footsteps of AoE and AoK but it also adds a lot of depth to the franchise, a lot more strategic appeal. Of course I am also not a fan of hour long games, so I fancy AoE3's faster paced action to that of the slower AoK experience.

Overall I think a lot of people are reading WAY too much into AoE3 trying to mimic AoK and aren't coming to the realization that it's a completely seperate time period that will of course need seperate gameplay elements to realize.

AoE3 gets a thumbs up from me, not because i work for HG or I know people at ES but because the game plays well, plain and simple (though If one day I find that bears are too OP I will request their removal but until then my only gripe is I can't name my bear )

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

Da_Sleek_Ranga
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 05:49 AM EDT (US)     11 / 26       
People have a right to say what they think but you noobs keep giving people a hard time because they were disappointed with this game. How bout you shut up and allow people to post without being flamed. You Americans go on about freedom of speech but all you do is attack people who don't agree with your P.O.V. Freedom of Speech aslong as the general population agrees with it. So please stop whining yourself it was bound to happened that not everyone would be happy with the changes in the series your just making it more difficult.

P.S. I liked the demo

It's not God i hate, it's his fanclub i can't stand!!!!
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 06:41 AM EDT (US)     12 / 26       
OK that post was uncalled for... not only is it discriminating it's freaking WRONG. this is a FANsite friend, Americans have nothing to do with FANS defending the GAME that they are FANS of. You however aren't just out of line but you are also in a self deluted stalinistic world of the americans are the enemy!!!! wake up and smell the the post cold war air mate, be them american asian or european a FAN will defend his/her game.

TGE

Able Company (my job)

Da_Sleek_Ranga
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 07:13 AM EDT (US)     13 / 26       

Quote:

self deluted stalinistic world of the americans are the enemy!!!!

When did i mention Stalin i just said that most of you were acting like hypocrits

Quote:

Americans have nothing to do with

Let me see ES is American, Microsoft is American, This site is a American Server and aren't you from Pennsylvania, United States.

simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 07:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 26       
So you hate Americans...okay....
(Ignores Da_Sleek_Ranga for being incredibly rude)

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
Da_Sleek_Ranga
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 07:22 AM EDT (US)     15 / 26       
Never said i hate American just your President and... Tom Cruise

TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 07:23 AM EDT (US)     16 / 26       
what does any of that have to do with fans defending their game... a lot more than americans post here. grow up and quit the "Americans blah blah" stuff.

TGE

Able Company (my job)

Da_Sleek_Ranga
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 07:26 AM EDT (US)     17 / 26       

Quote:

defending their game

Defending more like flaming, im fine with those who defend it with creditable comments but some idiots are just flaming because there MS Fanboys

simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 07:28 AM EDT (US)     18 / 26       
Don't try and fight TheGoodEvil buddy you are wrong and rude get over it!

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
bigRed
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 10:33 AM EDT (US)     19 / 26       
There is a difference between constructive on-topic criticism (not the pointless nitpicking that TGE described) and posting full-out game "reviews" in your own and other people's threads, writing insights such as "this game is rubbish", and taking pot shots at the game on every possible opportunity.

This thread is for people who don't know that difference.

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 09-10-05 10:43 AM EDT (US)     20 / 26       

Quote:

Defending more like flaming, im fine with those who defend it with creditable comments but some idiots are just flaming because there MS Fanboys

Yea, we enjoy the game, we're fans. Nobody is here mindlessly protecting the game, read earlier posts by TGE on the preview version and see how much constructive criticism he made.

On the contrary, you're being the mindless cynic.

SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 11:00 AM EDT (US)     21 / 26       

Quote:

Never said i hate American just your President and... Tom Cruise

Amen to that last bit brother, amen...

Come to think of it, amen to the first bit as well, but the monkey's just trampling over the rights of millions of people, not shagging Katie Holmes

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination

[This message has been edited by SilentScreams (edited 09-10-2005 @ 11:02 AM).]

Da_Sleek_Ranga
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 11:26 AM EDT (US)     22 / 26       
Is better to be a cynic than live in ignorance.

Cynic: "a passionate person who doesn't want to be disappointed again": Benjamin Zander

Miccy Narc
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 12:12 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26       
Thank you bigRed. I was glad you were able to post all of your points maturely and without using silly sexual references and offensive jabs. Not only that but you refrained from all stereotypes and kept an open mind about the whole issue!

Oh, wait....

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 09-10-05 12:35 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26       

Quote:

Is better to be a cynic than live in ignorance.

We're not the ones living in ignorance. We have a game we enjoy and try to make the best out of it, while you bash it expecting anything good to come out of your non-constructive comments.

You decide which one is being ignorant on that one.

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 01:19 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26       
Nobody is saying you can't have an opinion, but when every 5 minutes, "Johnny the Forum Noob" signs up to this forum (with that same name, or something similar) and his first post is a stupid rant about how AoE3 sucks, or about how every thread that praises AoE3 and even those that have nothing to do with opinions on the game is immediately hijacked by people saying how much the game sucks is annoying.

I used to post in these "AoE3 sucks" threads, to try and see if in fact the people are just over reacting but if I see they are steadfast in their dislike of the game, I just accept that and move on and don't reply to their posts.

However the people who don't like AoE3 seem to feel the need to spam it in every single thread possible. And this is just annoying. They are entitled to their own opinion but this is an AoE3 fansite, and if you are not a fan of AoE3 then what are you spending so much time on the forums for?

I hate the Sims, but you don't see me spamming the sims forums about how much the game sucks. In fact I don't even know if a Sims forum exist or not.

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 09-10-2005 @ 01:20 PM).]

Cheesewiz
HG Alumnus
posted 09-10-05 01:42 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26       
Ok, how about all the whining goes in one of the other 30 threads.

Closed.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames