You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1 reply
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Best graphical settings I found after experimentation.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Best graphical settings I found after experimentation.
bigRed
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 10:54 AM EDT (US)         
My system handles the game well maxed out, and it does look amazing, but nonetheless I played around with some settings to see if I could get a configuration more friendly to playing rather than watching. All of this is subjective opinion so your mileage may vary.

Setting shadows to low (in which units have a small blob under them) was the first improvement, as full figure shadows make it harder to recognize what's going on in a battle at a glance.

Second improvement for me was turning off bloom, which looks good, but on a high contrast monitor really begins to fatigue the eyes after a skirmish map.

If your card supports shaders and you have them above low, you'll notice that without bloom the game looks dark. It's as if bloom is used in part to literally brighten up the game. So I set the shaders to low and the game looks bright without hurting the eyes, while the graphical difference isn't big at all. If you look for differences, shaders on very high provides a much more sophisticated look, but when you're busy playing an intense match that might not even be a good thing. Water effects do suffer though.

Finally, high resolution is very important for making units look as clean as possible, and I'm playing at 1600x1200 on a 19" CRT. Even if you have a midrange system, choosing above settings well net you a lot of performance since shadows/shaders require a lot of processing power, so having them on low should allow you to crank up the resolution.

I found that at these settings the game has a clean, solid look where recognizing units and what's going on in general is a quite a bit easier. It's also easier on the eyes. If I ever get around to playing the campaign in the full version, I'll play it at all setting maxed out, but in multiplayer I'll be using these.

AuthorReplies:
unjugon
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 11:31 AM EDT (US)     1 / 1       
Thanks for this good post bigRed, IŽll be trying out your suggestions (my eyes were hurting a little from bloom effect, too).

My blog, for WC3 and AoE3 strats and articles:
http://unjugon.blogspot.com/
My stats:
http://ratings.myllclan.com/prt/SA/1/TkC/unjugon.jpg
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames