You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.49 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The Summary of Bugs - help is very welcome.
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Summary of Bugs - help is very welcome.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Jazzingbass
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 10:53 AM EDT (US)         
This is a try on establishing a continuosly updated ALWAYS IN DEVELOPMENT thread which sums up the community-gathered bugs from the sticky. This way community members and developers do not have to read through the entire bunch of sticky replies.
Please reply with any certain information - such as bugs that have been fixed - most of the following bugs are already fixed I think, but I do not know this for certain.
And of course post BUG INFO CORRECTIONS.
New bugs should be reported in the bug sticky thread I think.
Please note that installation problems and that sort of HW-related bugs are not in here (for now).

I'm trying to list the most commonly reported bugs on top
Bugs are listed with color ratings. Blue does not affect gameplay at all, while red is gameplay critical - purple is in between..
New: soluted or explained bugs are in green.

Updated with a few new bugs - on top of each bug's color category.

• Tomahawk warriors and trapped medics are not rendered or just partly shown - this problem is in fact related to the graphic options.
    ES_DeathShrimp: "I believe both of these happen when you have High-poly Models unchecked." (this is correct)
  • Pirate and bears that gaurd treasure suddenly regain 100% HP.
    ES_DeathShrimp: "By design. We did this because players were shooting guardians and then running away to try and lure them off so they could get the treasure. The whole point is you are supposed to fight those guardians."
  • A few lumberjerks often stop working if there are many other lumbers working together.
  • Sound effects and/or music clicking, cutting and disappearing totally after around 10 minutes of gameplay - HW issue? - several people have reported this or likewise.
    Here's a thread about this issue http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=11,23720,0,10 (thank you, Sifka4).
  • Pirate moving too fast - explorers and other units can't keep up.
  • Units do not auto-attack treasure guardians. (Added after DS's comment: This is also so even if the outlaw is shooting you. But they only shoot you after you attacked one of them.)
    ES_DeathShrimp: "This will automaticlly work when the treasure guardians fight back. You attack them, they attack you back, and all your nearby units will join in."
  • Animal treasure guardians never attack.
  • Priest sliding horizontally, standing up normally when healing - bug is only present with High Poly Models turned off.
  • Trains' cars disappear by segment at end of route.
  • Pirate moving animation not working ("skating") - this applies to at least one of the pirates at New England.
  • Tree falling animation and lying-on-ground state are missing (in both high -and low-poly settings).
  • ( Walking through trains...NOT A BUG...make them imprenetatable and killing units in front? he he )

• Some shipments never arrive. This includes two privateers (English, on New England).
    ES_DeathShrimp: "We disabled all Mercs for the Demo, and Privateers are Mercs."
  • Impossible to delete some buildings by any means.
    ES_DeathShrimp: "Depending on the building, this is by design. Manors cannot be deleted, for example, because it is too easy to keep building and deleting them (esp. with the cheap Houses and fast Houses Cards)."
  • It's possible to give the command to place an Outpost when you have more than one Outpost Wagon selected. (Result: If one has ie. two Outpost Wagons selected, uses the command to build an Outpost and then select one of them to move somewhere else, that's not possible - even after the other cart has built an outpost.)[/b]
  • Sometimes sending units to Town Center will land them on a Resource Crate, making them immobile until the crate is harvested.
  • Soldiers getting stuck between berry bush and buildings.
  • Trading posts can get the message "no suitable terrain" while trying to build - only reported on New England in one spot.
  • Units getting stuck in dock after building completed - did not move away from building site.
  • Experience gained when closing the game in task manager (without winning the game).
  • Sometimes melee units act like ranged units - pikeman for example.
  • Captured villagers at treasure attacks player villagers passing by (http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload4/screen17.jpg).
  • Some players have experienced one or both of the scenarios not to finish after completing all objectives, and even after killing all enemies (with spy upgrade as control).
    ES_DeathShrimp: "So far this seems to be related to having hardware acceleration for soundcards turned on, but we are investigating."
  • Men sticking between trees.
  • Villager route finding is too weak - they don't even walk 4 metres extra to go around other villagers to reach a new tree.
  • Quite many players have experienced a problem where they crash to desketop when they start attacking the enemy base.

• Explorers' dialog boxes do not go away after they are displayed upon death. friggin irritating
    ES_DeathShrimp: "This is by design. It was too hard for players to find their Explorers and / or realize what was happening to them. I believe there is a UI option to turn them off."
  • When villagers finish taking food from a sheep they don't go on with another one, if the next sheep is not fully fattened.
    ES_DeathShrimp: "By design. I think that would make you mad."
  • If you change the selected resource (i.e. wood, food, coin, xp) just after the train passes, you can get all of them at every trading post.
  • Sometimes all particle effects stop, and the smoke from pipes/cannons that were just fired, stay still like clouds. When this particle-stop-bug is 'executed', no particle effects work after this. You only see the clouds that were there when the bug started. (See theory in reply at page 4.)[/b]
  • Appearantly the UI options are a bit messed up. For example checking the "view player score" box, does for many not view the player scores. The problem is probably that it's a combination of the different UI options that make the different (such as pop monitor) display. To see the UI you want must turn them all on, is my theory.
  • Soldiers do not arrange themselves differently at tactic change before commanding them to move.
  • Single-selecting is required to delete units, and delete button only working on single units (not including buildings) -
  • Outlaw Pistoleros and riflemen don't do any damage.
  • Updates on trade posts can be researched one time pro trade post.
  • After mills have been destroyed by cannons, there are cases of villagers continuing to farm in that area.
  • The train is leaving railroad workers by the trading posts on the second campaign level.
  • Pressing the hotkey for creating tomahawks or comache horse archers while having a trade post at the trade route selected, queues them there.
  • When going to the next age, when a building is badly damaged, it changes to the new tileset and looks undamaged.
  • It's possible to build a dock on New England too far off the shore for the villager to get close enough to build.
  • Fish animations where no fish is available.
  • A treasure in the NE random map was sunk in the water and it couldn't be collected.

• No explosions or other visual effects when a cannon projectile of a ship reach the ground/enemy.
  • The "zoom" options should say "default zoom", because changing this option only zooms in and out as you do with the mouse scroll.
  • Rodeleros are speechless.
  • Longbowmen are speechless.
  • When mills are attacked, the total number of villagers working at mill is increased by the number of soldiers attacking.
  • When blasted by cannons, windmill blades stay parented to the rotating axle for around 2 seconds after they break off, which makes them "orbit" around the mill mid-air. LOOKS KINDA COOL THOUGH
  • On New England map, one of the trade routs ends in a circle where the cart should turn around - instead of turning, it goes straight, and then just disapperars in the middle of the map.
  • The native (blackfoot) scout doesn't have an icon.
  • Ship's bows are able to 'travel through' clifs that are along waters shores.
  • "Low" shadow effects means no shadow effects.
  • The Spanish explorer builds the Trade Post by hitting it with his gun.LOL I gotta see this.
  • English Plantation doesn't appear to flatten the terrain when placed on uneven ground - it has floating and sunk polygons (mainly the vegitation - because it is farthest away from the anchor) in the terrain - at the bushes.
  • Ships clip into eachother into a big mess of sails and wood. - just had to include that way of saying it ^^
  • "Deliver home city chipments to this building"-icon is blurred - this applies to other icons as well.
  • Certain units' bodies never disappear - one example is an enemy cannon at the "keep the fort" scenario.
  • In the first cinematic, the old man stands in front of the train tracks when it shows the view from above him, and when it shows the view from behind him, he is standing behind the tracks, and it keeps switching.

- Jazzingbass

[This message has been edited by Jazzingbass (edited 09-16-2005 @ 05:45 AM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Jazzingbass
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 12:10 PM EDT (US)     1 / 49       
    Thread has been updated to be easier to read.
    This is also a
    [ BUMP ]
    for something I think can be a tool to actually help ES fighting the bugs.

As I said, it would be cool if ppl replied any info on bugs that they know are fixed.

And by the way, since I'm new on the forums, I'd like to say yehllo! to you all. I'm pretty excited about Age 3 and am enjoing this windup for the release!

- Jazzingbass
    LiquidRed
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 12:19 PM EDT (US)     2 / 49       
    They solved 1200+ bugs solved so u have some more to go...
    Maveric_LOL
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 12:19 PM EDT (US)     3 / 49       
    hey jazz, you beat me to it, i was also thinking of compiling a list of known bugs to put on my Ask ES Database.

Since you already beat me to it and did the legwork in compiling a list, would you mind if i list them under a tab on my page? you would be credited of course.

http://thelegionoflight.net/AOE3/community/QA.cgi

my email: maveric_f109@hotmail.com if needed.

Brethren bound by justice. Souls who fear not death.
    Soldiers of good. Champions of Light.
    Together we stand forever. The Legion Of Light.
    ~The Legion Of Light~

[This message has been edited by Maveric_LOL (edited 09-12-2005 @ 12:20 PM).]

Jazzingbass
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 12:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 49       
    Sure, LiquidRed, no problem - use it in any way that can help the community and the developers to more effectively defeat the bugs.
    Liked the AMD screen you made by the way - great! ^^

- Jazzingbass
    Interex
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 12:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 49       
    Ya I don't know how many times I could have won if that train actually killed those units!!!!
    Luthor
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 12:41 PM EDT (US)     6 / 49       
    One more: When the villagers finish taking food from a sheep they dont begin with another 1 :S
    Jazzingbass
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 12:41 PM EDT (US)     7 / 49       
    Ha ha I'm sure you would have.
    I would have loved to see that train smashing up dozens soldiers. It would have been a great feature, though one can say that what the hell has a train got to do in the middle of a battle...it's not realistic that "random train passthroughs" is the most strategic weapon in a war between two nations

- Jazzingbass
    Jazzingbass
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 12:50 PM EDT (US)     8 / 49       
    Thanks for the sheep tip Luthor, and for getting the thread going. I remember that one now, from the sticky bug thread. It's kinda not a bug, because the thing is the villagers don't move on with a new sheep if it isn't fully fattened.
    I think this is a bug because it is your own desicion if you should slaughter them or not, and you don't want your villagers standing around doing nothing.

- Jazzingbass
    Vortexian
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 01:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 49       
    Nice, except for only one thing(How many times did I say this here...)The Tomahawk and Priest bug aren't in my game. So I think it is purely graphical for both. And the medicine man that is chased onto a rock is a bug I found. the medecine man isn't visible when on the rock, but when you save him, he suddenly appears

Exploring Strategist of the dutch
    Jazzingbass
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 01:19 PM EDT (US)     10 / 49       
    Thanks for that one Vortexian. As a matter of fact the tomahawk and priest bugs are not in my game either - but neither is the medicine man bug. Yeah, it's got to be the graphical options and/or player hardware.

- Jazzingbass
    Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    (id: fred_ernie)
    posted 09-12-05 01:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 49       

Quote:

Pressing the hotkey for creating tomahawks while having a trade post at the trade route selected, queues them there.

Also works for the Comache horse Archers

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
    Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
    Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
    [This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
    Argalius
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 01:38 PM EDT (US)     12 / 49       

Quote:

# Pirate suddenly regaining 100% HP.

This is also for the bears that gaurd treasures. Also the explorer doesn't automaticly walk after them.

And then another thing I encountered, when I played vs the comp (duh...) I saw that he got experience for having the least amount of resources and the most killed units... come on, why would one get points for that?!

|| argalius.elpea.net
    || Cherub at AoE3H
    || In honor of FlipBizcut
    || Mod: The Age of Crusades
    Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    (id: fred_ernie)
    posted 09-12-05 01:41 PM EDT (US)     13 / 49       
    According to ES that is the boobie prize, so that people loosing still have an incentive to finish the game.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
    Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
    Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
    [This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
    Jazzingbass
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 01:49 PM EDT (US)     14 / 49       
    Well that's not that bad...with the boogie prize, kinda fun. They could also work like this though:
    Imagine if the match is for example 2on2 - the player with the biggest army would maybe have most killed units. And having the least resources, while maybe still being second best or so, could mean you are a good strategist..hmm

- Jazzingbass
    Blackhair
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 02:06 PM EDT (US)     15 / 49       
    I was playing a game as the English in New England, and I used the card the send 2 Privateers, and it didn't send them! >

--Ian the Crux

P.S. Good idea on this thread

[This message has been edited by Blackhair (edited 09-12-2005 @ 02:08 PM).]

Jazzingbass
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 02:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 49       
    Thanks for supporting the concept Blackhair!
    I've heard of these shipments before, now I have included them in the thread also.
    It would have been interesting to know if there are more spesific shipments that never arrive. I guess I have gotten the bug myself, but I never seem to pay attention to when they arrive ^^

- Jazzingbass
    evirustheslaye
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 02:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 49       
    during an attack on the enemy base(regardless of nationality of either civ) the game crashes to desktop and no exp is saved
    ES_DeathShrimp
    VIP
    posted 09-12-05 02:39 PM EDT (US)     18 / 49       

Quote:

Tomahawk warriors and trapped medics are not rendered or very small - this problem is related to the graphic options and/or player hardware.

Priest sliding horizontally, standing up normally when healing - bug only occurs after interrupting a heal? - also related to graphic options/player HW.

DS: I believe both of these happen when you have High-poly Models unchecked.

Quote:

Pirate and bears that gaurd treasure suddenly regain 100% HP.

DS: By design. We did this because players were shooting guardians and then running away to try and lure them off so they could get the treasure. The whole point is you are supposed to fight those guardians.

Quote:

Units do not auto-attack treasure guardians.

DS: This will automaticlly work when the treasure guardians fight back. You attack them, they attack you back, and all your nearby units will join in.

Quote:

Some shipments never arrive. This includes two privateers (English, on New England).

DS: We disabled all Mercs for the Demo, and Privateers are Mercs.

Quote:

Impossible to delete some buildings by any means.

DS: Depending on the building, this is by design. Manors cannot be deleted, for example, because it is too easy to keep building and deleting them (esp. with the cheap Houses and fast Houses Cards).

Quote:

Some players have experienced one or both of the scenarios not to finish after completing all objectives, and even after killing all enemies (with spy upgrade as control).

DS: So far this seems to be related to having hardware acceleration for soundcards turned on, but we are investigating.

Quote:

Explorers' dialog boxes do not go away after they are displayed upon death. friggin irritating

DS: This is by design. It was too hard for players to find their Explorers and / or realize what was happening to them. I believe there is a UI option to turn them off.

Quote:

When villagers finish taking food from a sheep they don't go on with another one, if the next sheep is not fully fattened.

DS: By design. I think that would make you mad.

dAmAtA_cHiP
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 02:43 PM EDT (US)     19 / 49       

Quote:

Pirate and bears that gaurd treasure suddenly regain 100% HP.

DS: By design. We did this because players were shooting guardians and then running away to try and lure them off so they could get the treasure. The whole point is you are supposed to fight those guardians.

the problem is that they regain 100% hp while fighting them. you shoot them, they run, you chase, you catch up, they have 100%. if thats intentional, its very annoying

AoMPlayer000
    Banned
    posted 09-12-05 02:46 PM EDT (US)     20 / 49       
    I see that most of the bugs are by design . Nah, I do understand it.

Quote:

The 100% healthy recovery is really frustrating though if you're chasing a guardian all the time and suddenly you have to start anew. This would still be irritating if you didn't have to chase them .

Edit: I see that dAmAtA_cHiP agrees.

My suggestion: Make them regenerate HP constantly and and fast, preferably not when fighting though.

The explorer boxes can be very annoying if they cover units. Make them translucent .

[This message has been edited by Grün (edited 09-12-2005 @ 02:47 PM).]

king of ages
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 02:53 PM EDT (US)     21 / 49       
    It is irritating to chase guardians across the map, especially when you have a base to defend and other treasures to gather.

Walls do NOT delete.. which led to the slaughter of my villagers when I tried to evacuate my base...

Jazzingbass
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 03:05 PM EDT (US)     22 / 49       
    "My suggestion: Make them regenerate HP constantly and and fast, preferably not when fighting though."

Very good suggestion IMO. They seem to regenerate at weird times, as if they had 3 lives or something.

- Jazzingbass
    AoMPlayer000
    Banned
    posted 09-12-05 03:19 PM EDT (US)     23 / 49       

Quote:

as if they had 3 lives or something

Exactly.
    yop
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 03:21 PM EDT (US)     24 / 49       

Quote:

Impossible to delete some buildings by any means.

DS: Depending on the building, this is by design. Manors cannot be deleted, for example, because it is too easy to keep building and deleting them (esp. with the cheap Houses and fast Houses Cards).

This was probably done because of the +1 vill bonus of brittish when a house is built, but I don't think it's the best way to circumvent the build/delete house exploit. I would have made it like: a new brittish villager is obtained each time a new max pop number is reached.

Example: you're pop 50, you build a house and are pop 60, you gain a villager. You got two houses destroyed, now pop 40. Build a house, pop 50, no villager. Build a house, pop 60, no villager. Build a house, pop 70, you gain a villager. That way you still gain the brittish bonus you are supposed to gain, but you can also delete your houses, witch can be useful (I admit not often) if you are stuck in a small space for whatever reason and need to make room to plow down a large building (like a fort).

Also walls HAVE to be deletable. As all buildings should in my opinion. Give the xp for deleted buildings to the ennemy of course, as we don't want a losing player to delete all his stuff to prevent his opponent to get xp.

[This message has been edited by yop (edited 09-12-2005 @ 03:25 PM).]

Sifka4
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-12-05 03:29 PM EDT (US)     25 / 49       
    Regarding the sound cutout problem, I made a thread where alot of people posted their system specs if they had the issue. Maybe that could help ES determine the cause. I believe i temporarily fixed the cutout by toying with the sound hardware acceleration, but my sound still has clicks in the background, and characters dont always finish their lines in cutscenes so those ideas still need to be addressed. here is the thread:

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=11,23720,0,10

thanks guys...hopefully this will help patch up things

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames