You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.22 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The walls.
Bottom
Topic Subject:The walls.
captainstrombosi
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 03:54 PM EDT (US)         
Let it be known that I love this game. I've got 2 350+ xp homecities. But one thing that does bother me. musketeers shooting threw walls (along with every other unit). It's just something that makes me say "what?". Does anyone know if the way walls work now is final or if They will be changed to be usefull?

An eye for an eye...gives the man with the last eye a clear advantage.
AuthorReplies:
ShadowZX
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 03:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22       
i like the game too and the units shooting thru walls is hopefully just the demo but i am not sure. One more thing i want to no about walls is can units be put on walls - i dont think in the demo but maybe in the full game.
The_Assimilator
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 06:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22       
No you carn't put units on walls.

Second, i think the shooting thru walls this is final, ES won't/or more likely, carn't change that.

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 06:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22       
Units on walls would certainly bring an end to the shooting through walls thing, but as it isn't in the game, shooting through walls will stay.
WookieRebel
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 06:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 22       
WTF, Are you serious you can't put units on walls? Did they bait us with screenshots of units on walls?
ShadowZX
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 06:36 PM EDT (US)     5 / 22       
Maybe fix in patch or mod or expansion
The Systemlords
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 06:46 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22       
yes they did have shots with units on walls. In the final version maybee you can. In the campains they have stone walls that look as units can walk along... I don't know but maybe in the final version the units can climb a ladder to mount the walls. It will make a great feature, other games have achieved this, so i hope AOE3 have also. I would expect that to be honest in this kind of game..
The_Assimilator
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 06:49 PM EDT (US)     7 / 22       

Quote:

other games have achieved this,

Which games?

The Systemlords
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 06:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22       
stronghold crusader.. and i think cossaks 2, although not sure on that one.

[This message has been edited by The Systemlords (edited 09-12-2005 @ 06:52 PM).]

ShadowZX
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 07:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22       
^ Complete Agreement! I have Stronghold Crusader.
NightsDelusion
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 07:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22       
Whats up with people and walls? The only wall I need is a wall of pikemen and musketeers!
Sleepy_King
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 07:43 PM EDT (US)     11 / 22       
i used to feel the same way, but after playing i prefer the no units on walls, if taht was to happen, whole new things would change and it would just be tougher, because then there would have to be fighting on the walls and stuff like that. not age kinda material i dont think.

now the shooting thorugh walls bugged me too, i would have though that would be a bonus with archers that they can shoot over walls while guns cant, but i think the reason they all can shoot is to represent units mounted on walls, without the needed micro, and after playing every age game made i prefer it this way, keeps it better imo

*..*..*../\..*..*..*
/\/\/\/...\/\/\/\
|____________|
Member |~S|33pY~| of the
Phantom |~|<||\|G~| Warriors

MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 09-12-05 07:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22       
Regarding "Stronghold Crusader", I just wanted to add that
putting units on walls is what makes that game great, as it makes it a very tactical game.

This is a feature that is missing from AOE 3, and could make the game even better.

The greatness of that feature is that it gives the defenders an advantage, so all these players that like the
"Rush" method and win within the first 10 minutes, well that does not work in that kind of game.

In order to win you have to build a big army and only then you can attack.
But in a game like this even a big army is not enough because you have to be smart in the way you attack the stronghold.
Sending 500 units to attack by themselves won't you do any going, because 70 archers can kill all of them in a matter of minutes while your units are trying to take down the wall.

In a game like this you have to send your artillery first and knock down a section of the wall before you send your troops through the opening.
But even that is not so easy because the defenders also have artillery of their own.

I really think that by putting units on walls or at least behind walls (that give them extra protection) can make AOE 3 a very interesting game.

I just hope that Ensemble is listening.

netoria76
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 08:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 22       
I like having units on walls as it caters for people who like defensive play (or not good at offensive play like me).. Also having a strong home defence might actually encourages people to go out and fight as they don't have to worry too much about the safety of the town.
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 09-12-05 08:21 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22       
"I like having units on walls as it caters for people who like defensive play (or not good at offensive play like me).. Also having a strong home defence might actually encourages people to go out and fight as they don't have to worry too much about the safety of the town. "

netoria76, you made e very good point.
This is exactly how it works in Stronghold.

Once you secure your stronghold, you start sending your troops out and fight for resources.
Eventually, one side may try to attack the other's stronghold, but even when the attacker have a larger army, there is still no grantee that he will win, unless he uses good tactics.
So, the battleground can turn around, where a fail attack can lead to a defeat.
It is a very interesting game play just because of the fact that the defenders have an advantage (because of the walls).

captainstrombosi
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 08:22 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22       
For one "The Battle for Middle-Earth" has units on walls and it does quite well.

But seriously whats the point of a wall if they can just shoot right threw it. Just remove walls period if musketeers can just fire threw it anyway.

An eye for an eye...gives the man with the last eye a clear advantage.
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 09-13-05 12:40 PM EDT (US)     16 / 22       
At this point, the walls in AOE 3 don’t offer much help, they only delay the enemy for a minute or so.
That is not helping much to someone who likes to play ‘defensive’.

I am wondering why Ensemble decided to allow the units to shoot through the walls?

I also don’t understand why is it that there are screen shots out there with units on walls, where it is not possible to put units on walls in AOE 3.

Salacon
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 12:55 PM EDT (US)     17 / 22       
The screenshots with units on walls was one whole building. I believe that building was the fort, but I'm not sure about that.

"My work is not a piece of writing designed to meet the taste of an immediate public, but was done to last for ever." - Thucydides, ancient Greek historian
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
"I threw a knife at a baby once." - Soc the Corrupted
Psycho_pigeon
Banned
posted 09-13-05 01:11 PM EDT (US)     18 / 22       
Yeah ES said you can put units on static walls like prebuilt forts like in campaigns etc ( ooo fun ). But shooting through walls is stupid, it can't be a bug they've been working on this game for ages that doesn't seem like somthing they would just leave and fix it later.
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 01:15 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22       
Rise and Fall has units on walls, but really walls are still very important... they protect vs raids....

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • RhyMez
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 01:21 PM EDT (US)     20 / 22       
    It's kinda ironic that you're the same guys that are screaming for more realism in the game. I mean.. in this period the settlers didn't make base, put up a fort with walls and defended. Thats the whole idea with this game. You HAVE to get outta your base, you HAVE to take new terrain, you gotta be offensive or the other nations will take the land. You with me? This ain't about walling yourself in you fools. This is the collonial age. A race about capturing most land. Not to SIT IN YOUR DAMN BASE AND DEFEND.

PS: the whole thing you guys talk about with archers on walls etc. sounds incredible gay to me. If the game was to be played like this it would be so goddamn boring. Nothing is more shit than playing a camper in other AoE games.

Psycho_pigeon
    Banned
    posted 09-13-05 01:24 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22       
    Then join a clan you n00wb. I don't see how anyone can get off on units shooting through wallls.
    FileTitan
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 02:24 PM EDT (US)     22 / 22       
    shooting through walls ???? that dosnt sound valid, sounds more like a bug to me, when i first saw it, it killed my game mood
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames