You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Questions regarding physics/graphics
Bottom
Topic Subject:Questions regarding physics/graphics
ddmarkm
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 10:35 PM EDT (US)         
Hey all, I liked the demo and the game looks promising, however I have a few questions:

a) Does the final game have physics at all-with this I mean that if you shoot a building with artillery and stuff falls off of it and hits nearby units, they take damage or die, as described on their website. ALso, do cannonballs go through several units to kill them?

b)Is there random weather in the game-e.g you are playing and suddenly it starts raining or snowing for a bit, or foggy/cloudy/etc. Such weather effects would GREATLY enhance the overall graphical feel of the game IMO.

c) This is not a question, just a comment. I think they should have made grassy areas look better-instead of what is basically a flat green texture, they should have made more distinct, wavy long fields of grass-would look a lot nicer.

Thats about it. So far I like the game, and other than these concerns, theres nothing much to complain about so far-I only hope that the game doesnt take microing too far (im reminded of Warcraft 3 where you have to micro every single unit to make sure it doesnt die/back it off when its low hp-this would suck and make it just a contest of who can click the fastest).

[This message has been edited by ddmarkm (edited 09-12-2005 @ 10:36 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Matei
Skirmisher
posted 09-12-05 11:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
a) The physics are only for looks. The reason for this is that different graphics settings display different amounts of physics (sometimes none), so making them affect the game in any way would cause problems when people with different settings play with each other.

b) I'm pretty sure some of the campaign maps will have weather effects, but it's very likely not in the normal maps. While it looks cool, it probably takes away from gameplay once you've seen it a few times.

c) Yeah, that would've helped. It was probably too slow though.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
sexypanda
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 00:06 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
c) IMO grass look much better than in AoK. Those guys with high end machines are showing beautiful screenshots, and the grass looks great as it should.

And dont worry about the clickfest of warcraft. AoE 3 armies are around 3-6 times larger than in Warcraft, and only the larger units like ships, and some others like Priest, have special abilities. In fact, the death rate of soldiers is much greater in Age3 than in any other game i played! I just dont have time to garrison/heal them. Dont worry, you wont have to micro your low hp soldiers, they will die just too quickly for you to be able to do that

ddmarkm
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 01:19 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
AWh too bad they dont have random weather in skirmish maps. That wouldve been so nice. And too bad about the physics too-your point makes sense, but they could have at least added it for SP only. Or makes some option in multiplayer where host can turn physics on/off depending on the quality of computers joining.
OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 01:34 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
The main problem with it is that physics are calculated on the fly, with an element of randomness. Either, you'd have a huge amount of lag as the server works out all the physics (basically impossible currently), or you'd have different information from different players (which, needless to say, is even worse).

I was angry about this too at first, until I played the demo. I now realise that now matter how realistic it is, it just negatively impacts the gameplay to have your men crushed by chance.

    
Kesha_epichev
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 02:18 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Well, let me first to say, there ARE pyhsics in the game, whenever buildings get hit they get destroyed in a random way, but this dose not affect gameplay, 2nd of all, cannons have pyhsics, they hit people.. and u can see then roll off, then, if a boat is moving, then your mortars cant hit it, i have cannon pyhsics, but not building, cause my setting are not high enough, check them.. somin about poly.

Good luck peoples.

NightsDelusion
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 02:44 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
You mean low poly models, ES accidently nuked them while they were editing the all the features out of the demo. I know my computer is pretty crappy but it can handle high poly models fine, though I doubt it will online. Oh well as long as my enemy can see me decimate their base in all the wonderful graphical glory, I'll be happy.
raaman
posted 09-13-05 07:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
It's always sunny =)

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames