You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Firearm Sounds - Spot on!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Firearm Sounds - Spot on!
Pale Horse
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 11:43 AM EDT (US)         
Being an active shooter/hunter of Flintlock and Caplock arms, as well as historical enthusiast, I was really pleased to 'hear' how well ES captured the sounds of musket, rifle and various cannon and mortars. I know how difficult it is with limited dynamic range, but from the crack of the smaller bores, to thunderous thud of the mortars, it really adds to the experience. Good job ES !
AuthorReplies:
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 11:52 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
I think a lot of people take that for granted, the sound effects in this game are really top quality and adds a lot to the feel of the game.

With the exception of a few sound bugs, which will hopefully be ironed out in the full version, this game easily has some of the best sound FX in any game.

Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 12:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
yeah they went to real battlefields to get em... i love em to

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • RiderOfEternity
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 12:05 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
    Yeah when I first heard the sounds I didn't think they were authentic. But then just a few weeks ago I heard a musket being fired and yes, aoe3really sounds like the real thing

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
    Mack the Knife
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 12:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       

Quote:

real battlefields

well, reenactments of real battles. as pale horse can probably attest, they use replicas of the original firearms as the originals are far too valuable. so when you watch a reenactment on the History Channel and see the little guy with the microphone ducking and dodging, that's the ES guy!
    Benja
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 01:32 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
    Also, it's great how if you have a cannon firing off the screen, you can hear the bang as a distant thunder. It's fantastic!
    Timeless_OmO
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 02:19 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
    Yea, the cannons booming in the distance (off screen) really make my day.

Good quality sound is often just as important as awesome gfx.

EE Talon
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 02:32 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
    The sound is awesome; I only hope that they'll go through with making it 5.1, they were considering it a while ago. It'd be kind of unncessary for a RTS, but a really nice feature for those of us with more than two speakers

Talanos | AoM + AoE3H's former Unofficial Angel
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
    FPH MSNIT talon@transalt.com
    ES_Big_Al
    VIP
    posted 09-13-05 02:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
    Hi,

Glad you like what you're hearing! It was important to get the battles to sound right - big and impressive but not just a mess of bass. The thing that struck me about being at the reenactment was how "poppy" everything sounded. You could really get a feel for the powder, if that makes sense.

Cherub Talon, we will be sticking to stereo this time around. As you point out, surround is a little unneccesary in an RTS and there were other things that were more important to get done.

Thanks for the kind words, though! Let me know if there are any questions.

-Stephen Rippy

Alexandergreat3
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 03:17 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
    Big_Al,

The sound effects in AoE3 are excellent . The quality really go on par with the graphics (which was never the case in previous age games)!

I showed the demo to my friend, and I kid you not, the first thing that he commented was, "wow, the sound is really good!"

You guys have really outdone yourself. Congratulations to you and the rest of the sound team on a superb job!

Psycho_pigeon
    Banned
    posted 09-13-05 03:23 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
    I especially like how you can hear the mortar sound when your half way across the map from it, it sounds so cool to here it in the distance like there's a battle happening.
    TheNative
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 03:34 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
    yea cuz I was over at my town center and I keep hearing the mortars from all the way across the map. Very good job, it almost makes it sound like it in your own backyard!
    Drewry
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 04:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
    My favorite part is how you can hear battles far away as they would sound. It reminds me of the movie 'The Patriot' when they were on their farm and could hear the booming thunder of the battles.
    Timeless_OmO
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 04:27 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
    The Patriot pwnd. Some of the scenes (like when the militia were moving through that swamp) looked like inspiration for this game.
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames