Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Playing Style
Bottom
Topic Subject:Playing Style
TheNative
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 11:54 AM EDT (US)         
I was just wondering when ya'll play online, do ya'll just rush and thats it?
AuthorReplies:
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 11:59 AM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
No, I am a raider more or less.

I like having strong miltary divisions with a economy that is perhaps just slightly behind the boomers.... I also really like efficeient use of units.

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • ShadowZX
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 12:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
    Rush is pretty effective in aoe3 but i am not a rusher, i sit back build a strong army (a good defense if possible) and manage a mediocore economy). then i wait till the enemy attcks. he attcks i beat him and i counter attck - Blitzcrieg war style (Lightning Warfare).
    Blackhair
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 12:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
    I'm a turtler/boomer. I sit in my town with many layers of walls and towers (or, as is the case in AOE3, outposts), with about 40 guys to help defend if the computer finds a chink in my armor, or attacks en masse; Then I just wait, and build up my econ. Then, when I finally have enough to sustain a nice long war, I build guys until I reach the pop limit (although that probably won't be nessicary in AOE3, from what I hear), then sweep through, killing all my opponents one by one.

Although I have been trying to get better at rushing as well.

--Ian the Crux

schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 12:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
    boomer, i counter enemies attack, and my army is large enough i go forward, meat his army, because of my superior economy i win that battle, build new buildings and go forward. that continues till i am @ enemies base (after winning the first main battle it goes fast)
    Steel_Cat
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 12:23 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
    Exactly what I do. I sit in my base until the enemy attacks (and because of my defenses), I kill his army, then advance forward a little bit and build a smaller base. The only raiding I ever do is on the enemy's fishing, mostly because I like having those massive ships!

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
    Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
    My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive
    NightsDelusion
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 12:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
    I usaully raid, while booming, if I see my enemy is vulnerable I kill my boom for some earlier attacks. Though maybe in AoEIII I'll end up getting to Fortress age...just for the show the cannons can put on. Also in the demo, there hasn't been one game that I have no made a forward base early on next to a trade post.
    RhyMez
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 01:24 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
    "I just sit in my base and wait for the enemy to attack me" omg ya'll got a gay style of playing you know?
    WolfLord_Arctic
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 02:39 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
    Work on learning how to do all of them. You should try to develop the flexibility to be able to rush, turtle and boom depending upon the map or the matchup.

Overall I think raiding is best. It allows a nice semi boom (like turtling) and is a great economy of force. Because you are the aggressor (unlike with a turtle) you get more map control and better access to fast food and other resources with only a small expenditure of resources.

I dislike turtling, I really feel that unless you have a specific reason for it (fast fortress for cannons, dragoons or something) that it is a waste of resources. Whenever you spend resources on military units and then dont use them, it is a waste because you could have spent those resources on villagers or eco upgrades that will pay off huge later.

Rushing is fun but it is an early gamble. Although it gets alot of publicity and works great vs a computer, remember that with a rush you always have to hurt your opponents economy more than you hurt your own by building a large force early. In RTS games with shooting buildings and such, the human defender will always have the easier time than his rushing opponent, so rushing requires more skill from the rusher.

Booming is great if you survive. The early boom (even with only 1 tc) allows you to get so far ahead of a non-booming opponent. But against person of reasonable skill a naked boom will be detected early and then you'll get killed.

Try to figure out what your civ can do well and also take into account your personality. The biggest thing is to have fun.

Edit- check out TGE's link, it's to a nice article on RTS game playstyles.

[This message has been edited by WolfLord_Arctic (edited 09-13-2005 @ 04:51 PM).]

mX_Stormy
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 04:02 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
    To be honest im more of a rusher. If you rush you can control what the enemy does and if there are two equally skilled players its always a great fight through all the ages. ( i remember those from the aok/tc times )
    However i like booming if i get the pocket position in a 3vs3/4vs4 game.
    TheGoodEvil
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 04:39 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
    Chino
    Skirmisher
    (id: hairic)
    posted 09-13-05 04:46 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
    I don't have a playstyle... it depends on the map.
    Preludic
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 04:48 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
    I'll probably just keep rushing, like I've done so far. As long as I can keep the fighting at my opponent, his economy is suffering.
    I'm curious why you people talk about raiding and rushing being mutually exclusive? It's not like rushers either win or die in the first few minutes of the game - good players keep fighting all the time, raiding being one part of it.
    Saurus
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 04:59 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
    Raid, with a bit of rush and a bit of boom.

Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina
    Hellenist
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 05:03 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
    I don't rush- short games strike me as boring. I play defense, sit tight and let my opponent grow more interesting. Then go for the kill.
    CheeseSteakJimmy
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 06:24 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
    Defensive Boomer / Raider

Step 1: Get that economy going! Repeat step one a few times then move on to

Step 2: Send a portion of my defense force to harass the enemy and check out his progress a few times in age 2 and a few more times in age 3

Step 3: In age 4 its on like Donkey Kong with so many units I cant even drag-select em all

Man I can't wait to unleash this game online.

In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances; profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer. Mark Twain
    British_Eagle
    posted 09-13-05 06:40 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
    i dont realy ahve a play style... i usually just send out a few perimiter scouts, manage my eco whilst keeping a good military then when i see him coming towards y base, say, a scout dissapears or becomes involved in a one-way skirmish, i know its time to march my army into a stratigic postion to the direction i knwo hes coming. set up a nice place for me to sluaghter his attack force. if i dont think teh attack force was too big, meybe just a raid or small force, i retreat to my base, replace the scout and continue to reinforce my troops untill i catch wind of teh true army. this style wors for me because i can multi task quite well. i sometimes send out small raids when i spot him trying to establish a trade route or an allince. otherwise i let the enemy do the work, walk out to a good position and let him start dying.

works for me. ihave a few stratigies. this is when im playing somebody i fear may whoop me if i trie anything brave i have some cool war-stories.

Ninja Beagle
    "My weenie is beautiful." - Doikie
    "Is it just me, or does beagle need neutering?" - Yakcamkir
    Corbie
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 07:07 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
    Im a turtle. Which is the main reason I dont play online.

I dont get any satisfaction from a game if, over the course of the map, I dont get all my main unit/economic upgrades.

Its like only playing half the game if you dont get to the final age .

But I dont play to compete.. I just enjoy the game, so I can afford to play in a "newbie" way.

CK the Fat
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 07:07 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
    I tend to raid with my explorer and a freed native, if there are any, and let my villies get to age 2 quickly but strongly. But I'll drop my explorere raiding when I play online, no human would be so stupid as to make ALL of his villagers run away when there's just one moron around shooting them (and not a particularly strong-attacked one, either.)

I suck at raiding, every time I try it the enemy just waits a tad and then utterly crushes my lagging economy. So I prefer turtling or booming.

Besides, I didn't buy the game just to play in age 1 and 2.

(Edit--WON'T buy the game... it's not out yet.)

[This message has been edited by CK the Fat (edited 09-13-2005 @ 07:08 PM).]

Gothren
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 07:10 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
    I build up to the thrid age, set up a defensive position around the trade posts, and when I have enough resources I attack.

Call me Offensive.

BerSerKer104
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-13-05 07:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       

Quote:

No, I am a raider more or less.

I like having strong miltary divisions with a economy that is perhaps just slightly behind the boomers.... I also really like efficeient use of units.

Man after my own heart!

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames