You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The English sound French!
Bottom
Topic Subject:The English sound French!
wglmb2
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 01:30 PM EDT (US)         
They say 'commond-eh-ment' instead of command-mnt'! Is this just how they spoke in those days? If it is, then I apologise. If not, then can you please change it ES?
AuthorReplies:
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 09-13-05 01:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Of all the things you could have noticed...

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
Psycho_pigeon
Banned
posted 09-13-05 01:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I noticed this, I don't understand why they do since it was in a time where the British spoke very posh english LoL god we own.
LiquidRed
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 01:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Didn't you know that the higher Brittish social class in that age all spoke French?
Billman
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 02:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
It is because instead of using the proper Modern English (and early Modern English), they decided to use the distinctly medieval Middle-English. I think the reason was that people could easily know what a unit was saying if it was Modern English, so they gave the British the much older Middle-English, because it sounds 'cool'.

Quote:

Didn't you know that the higher Brittish social class in that age all spoke French?

But the lower classes were were the ones that made up the majority of the population. And French was spoken by most nations for international affairs, just like English is now.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

[This message has been edited by Billman (edited 09-13-2005 @ 02:09 PM).]

Vortexian
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 02:16 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
I noticed it too. Although I find it to sound french because of the accent.
I start to wonder how the Dutch units will respond, as that is one of the most difficult languages...

Exploring Strategist of the dutch
Drewry
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 02:27 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Yup agree with billman. The english would have used modern early english as this time. But it appears as if they are using Chaucer's English. Or at least it sounds that way with the explorer in some cases. Its quite possible though that the london standard at the time would have been early modern english, but the lower classes would have used an older form sort of like how cotney is spoken today (not sure on the spelling).

And since pretty much all of the colonists were lower classes, places like manchester (one of the main reasons American's say glass with a short 'a' instead of a long 'a' like glawss because the Americas would have been dominated by the lower classes and over time this would have overwhelmed the higher classes speech) and upper england where a lot of farmers lived, they would be using this middle english opposed to the historically accurate modern early english which was used from the 1400s to even the 1800s. Also if you notice, the explorer says Right normal as in modern early english (king james bible), and the villagers say right as in richt - similar to the middle english. However equally peculiar is when the explorer dies he speaks like one would in Chaucer's day. He could have been using that as a quote of Chaucer because the Cantenbury tales were a very popular literature work at the time as it made english a beautiful language, so he could have been using this as his last words.

This would make much sense if this was the case. Also if you notice even further there is a progression through the language. Musketeers (mostly populated by lower classes and commanded by higher) speak as one would in middle english. However, the Redcoats speak modern early english as they would have come much later and would have used modern early english.

So i thought as you guys would at first saying that it seems historically inaccurate, but the more you look into it the more it seems extremely accurate.

ES_Big_Al
VIP
posted 09-13-05 02:56 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Hi,

The British are using Middle English in AoE III. The transition to Modern English, based on what I found on the subject, occurred right about at the beginning of the game's timeframe so you can argue that it's at least a little legit.

Mainly, we decided to go with this because it's a little more exotic and we didn't want to hear units saying "I'll do it" and "Yes" for the years that we were working on the game :-)

You'll find some Modern English as the campaign progresses and the US enters the picture (as you've probably already noticed with Amelia's responses.)

-Stephen Rippy

nice dictator
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 02:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
I think the English language at the time was heavily influenced by French because of the Normans, so it would make since that way.

"O! ye that love mankind!Ye that dare oppose not only tyranny but the tyrant, stand forth! Every spot of the Old World is overrun with oppression. Freedom hath been hunted round the globe. Asia and Africa have long expelled her. Europe regards her like a stranger and England hath given her warning to depart. O! receive the fugitive and
prepare intime an asylum for mankind."- Thomas Paine
what's the opposite of not sucking?"- Barbara Walters
"Yo Blair, how are you doiní?"-George W. Bush
WartyX
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 03:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
I was looking forward to a cockney accent...that would have sounded so cool...

Righ' y'are sar!
Wha'ever yer say!
'Monnit!

or a posh accent...

Right you are, sire!
Whatever you say sir!
Im on it!

or...a glasgwegion accent (hehe)

Reet y'are sor!
W'eva ye see sor!
'Moonit!

And I believe that Major Cooper in the Yanks' campaign wouldn't have sounded how he does...it would be a cross between English and American, I would have guessed.

wglmb2
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 03:44 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Thanks for your replies ES & everyone. Point taken, ES_Big_Al, I guess 'I'll do it' etc. would sound a bit odd (like in the c&c series, and I think warcraft: 'Are you sure?'. Er, yes!).
jwj442
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 05:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Big_Al, then why do the cannons say "I mean so!" in modern English? It sounds terrible, makes me cringe every time I hear it.
XsX_Invader2
Skirmisher
posted 09-13-05 06:01 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
yes i was wondering why cannons were the only ones who spoke modern english...

what the hell is my explorer saying? it doesn't sound like english at all...

oh and if they are american they should really talk at least like a texan :P

[This message has been edited by XsX_Invader2 (edited 09-13-2005 @ 06:01 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames