You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » optimizing video settings
Bottom
Topic Subject:optimizing video settings
a_d_y_a
Skirmisher
posted 09-16-05 04:01 PM EDT (US)         
I have a very poor gaming system. A Thinkpad T43
2 Ghz P-M
1 GB DDR2
64 MB X300

I was wondering if anyone can figure out how to optimize video settings. So that I get the most out of my video card and not loose big time frame rates.

I understand that people with high end cards can just crank everything up, but for people like me, we need to play around with the graphics settings to optimize eye candy and fps.

I wish AOE3 would include a little utility which can suggest optimal settings for the game. Some older games used to do that.

[This message has been edited by a_d_y_a (edited 09-16-2005 @ 04:04 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
falcdragon
Skirmisher
posted 09-16-05 08:59 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Thats actually a pretty good system. A 2Ghz PM is equal to about a 3.4Ghz P4 so the CPU is certainly fast enough! The weakest link is the graphics cards the X300. If you keep the graphics settings to medium or low things should work fine!

I'd say shaders and Shadows to low.
And probably disable water reflections and Terrain objects.
Every thing else should be fine on high at least for the demo.
In the full game if the textures are better quality than the demo you might need to reduce the texture settings to low or medium.

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinders's eye on the Last Day." WOT Aiel saying
Tactics:- the art of disposing armed forces in contact with the enemy.
Strategy:- The art of war. The management of Nations or Army's in war.
ginger_chris
Skirmisher
posted 09-16-05 09:15 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
im running a similar-ish system, P4 3.2ghz, 1gb ram, 128gb radeon 9600 Mobility:

refresh rate to 60 (large perfomance gain for me)
anti aliasing off
resolution no higher than 1024 (again large performance gain)
i can then get high on everything else/everything turned on
except im on normal particles, and no bloom

plus because the systems are processor heavy performance doesnt seem to drop at all on larger maps.

if its not working well shadows seem to have a large effect on performance aswell.

[This message has been edited by ginger_chris (edited 09-16-2005 @ 09:16 PM).]

Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 09-16-05 09:22 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Just upgrade the card a bit and you'll have a great system, as for optimizing it, I would say start out at the max you can set things to and turn it down until you get the performance you want.
Sloth_Boy
Skirmisher
posted 09-16-05 09:55 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
i cant see how changing your monitors refresh rate to 60 would increase performance?
a_d_y_a
Skirmisher
posted 09-17-05 06:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       

cannot upgrade the card. it is a laptop

thanx for all the suggestions though.

ginger_chris
Skirmisher
posted 09-18-05 11:53 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
I dunno, but it was by default at 75, and pretty damn slow, changed it down to 60 without change anything else and it improved dramatically. (this is in game settings not on properties menu) Im guessing its becasue card has to process less data per second but i dont know, it just had a decent performance gain.
ShadowZX
Skirmisher
posted 09-18-05 12:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
u need a new video card but too bad u cant upgrade it so run on low settings (lowest possible like i do)

btw
is
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
better or
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X850 XT PE
better

its probably the second one but i heard geforce cards for this game r a lot better. i no the best one is nVidia GeForce 7800 but i am not getting that one.

[This message has been edited by ShadowZX (edited 09-18-2005 @ 01:08 PM).]

Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 09-18-05 12:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Ya for a notebook that's actually really good. But of course your GPU, as you said is weak. If you can figure a way to upgrade the GPU you will be all set.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
a_d_y_a
Skirmisher
posted 09-18-05 01:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
** offtopic

is thread hijacking very popular on these forums?

i am new here. i thought it is looked down upon.

is there a karma system?

ShadowZX
Skirmisher
posted 09-18-05 01:06 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
if u mean me sorry, its just that people would flame me if i started a different thread asking a question on video cards, i dont understand wht the problem is, theres no restriction on new threads.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames