You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » AOE3 vs Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
Bottom
Topic Subject:AOE3 vs Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
JimR
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 11:39 AM EDT (US)         
How do they compare?

Are there random maps on AOE3?

Is there a Land Nomad style game in AOE3?

TC's can be built anywhere? Or is it on designated spots like AOM?

AuthorReplies:
Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 10-07-05 11:41 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24       

Quote:

Are there random maps on AOE3?

Yes

Quote:

Is there a Land Nomad style game in AOE3?

Yes

Quote:

TC's can be built anywhere? Or is it on designated spots like AOM?

TC's can be built anywhere

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]

[This message has been edited by fred_ernie (edited 10-07-2005 @ 11:42 AM).]

BoloBouncer
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 11:46 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
I'm glad I opened up this thread and discovered a comparison and not a "hwoly monkeydoo, witch game iz betta! ah love age2so much i don now if i wanna play age3 -watz cooler tellme"

That aside, you should check out the demo on the Age of Empires Website

If you can't download it for some reason, my two cents on the comparison is:

Age3 is fast-paced compared to its predecessor.
Age3 has a more satisfying combat feel and varied field of strategy. In Age3 you'll go many games without building all the buildings; whereas, in Age2, you usually had to build every single building and improvement to survive.

Vivir sin queso es morir - To live without cheese dip is to die
Spain will once again rule
Ryan's Blog

Age of Empires: The Musical Partake of my Ness Obsession Penny Arcade Does 'Age of Kings'

JimR
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 12:34 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
I figured it's relevant for a discussion topic.

Can players create their own map scripts? How do map sizes compare?

RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 01:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24       

Quote:

Can players create their own map scripts?

Yes, in fact RF_Gandalf has already made quite a few for the demo.

Quote:

How do map sizes compare?

Maps are somewhat smaller, especially in 1v1s (the new system generates map size based on how many people are playing).

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Citrons
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 03:11 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
u cant compare ... diferent game play , aoc wont be beated by aoe3
cptn_plovdiv
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 03:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
i am a big fan of aoc and i hope it will got beaten .
tster123
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 04:37 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
Citrons,
you can't compare, one is not even out yet.
JimR
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 05:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
If AOE3 is better than AOE2, to me that would make AOE3 the greatest game made, because AOE2 is pretty darn good.

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 10-07-2005 @ 05:30 PM).]

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 06:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
I hope it beats out on popularity... but it seems the further you go into the series, each one gets progressibely worse.
ParCorn
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 06:53 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24       
CK, AoM didn't quite count. It wasn't actually part of the series but more of a sideshow while they made AoE3. Remember, if AoC is better than AoE1 then that means the series is getting progressively better, not including AoM because it was a spin-off. Therefore, AoE3 should be better than AoC.

Highlight The Flag and It turns Black!
################
################
################
################
################
################
Novoa20
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 07:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
AOK was more popular than AOE.

I'm guessing the same thing will happen with AOE3, but the AOK fans are still going to be at abundance.

GUNS_N_ROSES
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 08:52 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
I find it hard for any strategy game ever created to be better or more special than AOC. AOC came out to be the perfect game, and the things that made it so good may not be intentional by ES. From what I remember they were playtesting AOK with 75 pop limit.

AOC had the battle mess. Hundreds of units fighting without slowdowns without lag and that was because of 2D. Also 2d never gets old, cause pictures never get old. Look at other classics of the same game era, Red Alert2, Diablo2, Worms, all time classic 2d games.

Should I be able to make 80 Trebuchets in a black forest crazy Death match game and block the passages? no

Should I be able to build 150 Fully Upgraded longbowmans to see all the screen full of arrows trying to kill an elephant? No...

Should I be able to take 25 Villagers and build 3 castles on enemys base? No...

So much flexibility but still balanced gameplay.

The only disadvantages AOC had was the slow gameplay in the standard Random Map gametype and the lack of further patches by ES.

I am not saying that AOE3 isn't going to be good. I hope it will be, but (seeing the demo) I find it almost impossible to be better from what AOC was in its time.

ATTEcLiPsE1
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 09:11 PM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
It is hard to compare them both, and besides, it is a matter of opinion. There are totally new features, like the Home City, Trade Posts, and also unit tactics and strategies.

Thus, I think it is more accurate to compare AoE3 to AoM, since even though AoM is not technically part of the series, it is kind of like the starting point for AoE3 to develop further.

Either way, though, I find it impossible to replace AoC's gameplay because it was so balanced, un-laggy, and simply unique. Still, I have extreme faith in AoE3's ability to simply KICK ASS!

Pardon my French.

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
-=Join the Effort! Community Campaign!=-
-=Email me at: att.151(at)gmail(dot)com=-
-=My AoM:TT Tag=-
simontyler9
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 09:19 PM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
I think people should get over AoK!

Yes we all know it was a great game, and still is but if you didn't notice this is Age of Empires 3* Heaven.

The game is a classic but it's time to let go and AoE3 might have some flaws but fact is most will be fixed in the full version!

So all those that dislike AoE3, go ahead but please don't complain here, just play AoK, enjoy YOURSELF and try not to ruin it for the rest of us.

I think AoK is better than AoE3 but I'd rather play AoE3 now and let AoK go.

*3 being the key-number

So I think we should get used to muskets, rockets, natives and Home Cities because they are in it and if you don't like it than it's AoK for you.

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
Tarkhan15
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 10:19 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
Oh man, Worms...so many wasted hours....Super Sheep!

AoE/Aok, Red Alert, Warcraft 2

Honestly though, there were SO many awesome games from the 2D era...I still remember the first time I got the AoE demo with a game magazine

Ooh, and did anyone else play Mechwarrior 2? Launch every polygon for great justice!

Really though, AoK/TC was really just beefing the graphics of AoE1, fixing some of those irritating things from AoE1 (like letting units cross farms, reseeding by right click and eventually setting up the queue...) and moving along the timeline to the medieval ages.

tster123
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 10:31 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
AoK was an enourmous leap from AoE. AoE itself was made much better by RoR. but still AoK was a big jump.
Devon_
Skirmisher
(id: Lord Devon)
posted 10-08-05 02:38 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24       
I liked AoK better:

-2D graphics, less taxing on your system, easier to identify units and it just looked cooler with more unique artwork more detail, and a more cozy feel. I think 3D is unecissary IMO, more graphical power and the combat looks a bit more wonky.

-The first two ages were cozier in AoK. Now you get to Fortress age so soon, in AoK the first two ages were about humble beginnings in a fresh new map, it got less stale I guess.

-Better UI (stats easier to understand and were right on the page)

-Econ required drop sites and was slower.

But hey, ES made both so we're not offending anyone by saying this.

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
AoN
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 05:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
IMO from what I'v seem in the AoE3 demo, AoK/AoC was alot better and will always be the best game ever made (RTS).
Now AoK/AoC is at the end of it's days, specially with the release of AoE 3. So I will try AOE 3 because AoK is boring as S**T now. If I don't like AoE 3, which I don't seem too right now, I will never look at another game made by ES again.

It was so simple, just re-do AoK 3D maybe fix a few bugs change some minor stuff and everyone is happy, but no, oh no, you completely made a new game which resembles AoM. It angers me, that you can't even manage to do stuff like a worldwide release. :@

Now all those people who say "aoe 3 is so goooooddd omg its best game" and others who say "aoe3 is just like aok". These people are noobs, who don't actually know much about the game at all. If you had played the game long enough to be any good, then you would realise just how different it is and how much better AoK was.

(All this is 'IMO')

ParCorn
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 06:09 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24       
ITS A DEMO! What we have seen so far is not the full game, not even close to 1/4 of the full game. Give it a chance!

Luis_Figo
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 08:09 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
AoN, People that LOVED AoE/ROR so much stayed in AOE/ROR when AoK/AoC came out. Those same people that stayed in AOE also complaned to F****** hell about AoK being soo different. Why dont you go back in those rooms and ask "why are you still playing the game?" and people there will give you 101 reasons about aoc being n00bified. Hell the same thing happends when you enter in a aok room. I bet they can give you 101 reasons why aoc sucks ass.

MY point is that no matter what the game ES comes out with there WILL be people that hate it and LOVE there last release better. Well guess what? Your beloved game that was soo perfect, that was soo balanced were HATED by TONS of people in the generation before you.

So you can stay in your AOC rooms like the Aoker's, Aoeer's, and RoRer's have stayed in their's.

Luis_Figo
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 08:16 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
PS. AoC wasnt the best game according to the AoC players in Aoc's prime. I dont know if you where around back then but they used to say ROR was the best.

PPS. I have been around since brits ruled rated with the fast castle. Before gutter_rat invented the first flush. I've had 2k names when rated ment something. So i'm no n00b if thats what your thinking.

[This message has been edited by Luis_Figo (edited 10-08-2005 @ 08:36 PM).]

AoN
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 06:46 AM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
oK, but there's only been about 50/100 people in the AoE/RoR room's for the past 4 years.
Now of course there will always be a small group of people who will "whine" about the game, complain and what now..

but I believe that there are already way more people, (in the thousands) who seem to be complaining about AoE 3.

Quote:

Your beloved game that was soo perfect, that was soo balanced were HATED by TONS of people in the generation before you.

as i previously said, like 50-150? does it matter..

anyway

Quote:

PS. AoC wasnt the best game according to the AoC players in Aoc's prime. I dont know if you where around back then but they used to say ROR was the best.
PPS. I have been around since brits ruled rated with the fast castle. Before gutter_rat invented the first flush. I've had 2k names when rated ment something. So i'm no n00b if thats what your thinking.

All I can say here is that I'm a DM player, so I wouldn't know or care much about the above, but I'm sure the DM players (the majority of the community) would agree with me that AoC was way better than RoR.

Mythos_Ruler
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 01:13 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24       
AOC was better than AOE in death match because of the land trade and relics. In AOE once all the gold was mined, the game was over. Thankfully they fixed that for AOK/AOC. Unfortunately that kind of team cooperation (trading) is gone in AOE3...
GUNS_N_ROSES
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:49 AM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
People that liked ROR more than AOK were DM players. The DM of ROR is very fast paced and the larger screen area helped in death match for better micro of bigger armies.

ROR stayed alive because of it's death match.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames