You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Neglecting Home City shipments in the later parts of the game
Bottom
Topic Subject:Neglecting Home City shipments in the later parts of the game
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 04:01 PM EDT (US)         
I have been playing the demo a few times now, and what I have noticed regarding Home City shipments and my focus on them was that I tended to pay less and less attention to them as the game progressed: My number shipments stacked higher and higher.

I'm not sure if my lost of attention for the HC shipments happened because of mine being new to the shipment idea, and therefore, simply forgot about them... or because the shipments that can still be used in the later parts of the game, the reusable cards from age1&2 (send 3 villagers), weren't worthwhile at the cost of spending time away from battle, and therefore, they get weeded out by the game's "natural selection"?

Has anyone of you experienced something similar to this regarding the HC shipments?

AuthorReplies:
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 04:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
Yes... but usually I only have about 3 or 4 cards left that are pretty much so worthless that late in the game... 600 wood when you have 9000 doesn't help much.
tster123
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 04:14 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
I load my shipments up with improvments and units not any resource shipments. that way when I hit imperial age I can resend all my unit shipments, and it's always nice to have better plantations or my explorer a 1900 hp baddass with a sword attack that can halfway kill 5 units!
TOAO_Hairic
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 04:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
When I played the demo, they never got higher than one. I just checked it every time I went back to TC (which was every 20-25 seconds). There's also that noise it makes, and I don't ignore any game sounds. So yeah.

BTW, better get used to using them no matter how petty they seem and let them at least sit around your TC occupying space (it's better than having them sit idle in a queue - at least they become readily available instead of waiting for them to "train"). That way if you end up wanting an expensive tech in a real game - it's sitting idle around your TC and can be gathered in a minute depending on how many vills you want to put on it.

WolfLord_Hawk
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 04:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
When I hear the sound of a shipment I just hit the Homecity short cut key H and I get my shipment taken care of. I rarely miss a shipment.

A crappy day of golf is better than a good day at work.
Dagobert
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 10:04 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Against the comp, missing a few shipments when you have the lead is irrelevant.

Against the comp you can afford to have 9000 coin or wood in bank.

Playing human opponents, the challenge will be greater. If you have 9000 wood in bank while the opponent has spent his wood, you're in deep trouble. And if you don't use your shipments while he uses his, you're also going to be in deep trouble.

Aro
AoKH Dictator
posted 10-07-05 10:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
The villager shipments can't be reused. Do you mean the Crates?

300 near-instant food is well worth one of your shipments, especially if you have no cards left. Simply clicking three times to enter, pick the shipment quickly, and exiting can be worth your while because you're getting 300 free food every time.

At one point when you're in heavy battle at all times, it's easy to forget about the HC, but that can only be bad for you.

Your attractive master.
"Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
GoldenShadow
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 11:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
all unit shipments can be sent again in Imperial age, including villager cards.
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-05 11:17 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
Not all cards. Not factory, fort, techs, etc. Which really only leaves units and resources, which I usually am not concerned in having cards for lategame.
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 04:57 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       

Quoted from Dagobert:

Playing human opponents, the challenge will be greater. If you have 9000 wood in bank while the opponent has spent his wood, you're in deep trouble.

I wasn't referring to early game shipments, though, if this is what you are saying.

In the later parts of the game, players should have a good number of workers on each resources, so sending the age 1 and age 2 cards that give around 300 resources during this time doesn't seem to be very worthwhile at the cost of not focusing on battles, where players can lose expensive and powerful units such the cannons, and possibly the fight.

Quoted from Aro:

At one point when you're in heavy battle at all times, it's easy to forget about the HC, but that can only be bad for you.

In late games, though, I feel that the impact of not sending a few creates doesn't seem significant, especially due to the fact that by that time, the players' econ should be well established with a high villager count.

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 05:39 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
Even late game a 1000 gold crate can go a long way if you ask me. Gold is the best crates to have late game, you can use them give you that extra bump to get to age 5.

Quote:

Yes... but usually I only have about 3 or 4 cards left that are pretty much so worthless that late in the game... 600 wood when you have 9000 doesn't help much.

Why on earth would you have 9000 wood? Against the AI you can get away with that, not a human player though(unless they are crap). Unless I am saving to go to imperial age I never have more than 1000 of any resource, since I spend it ASAP.

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 10-08-2005 @ 06:06 AM).]

DarkFlame
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 06:06 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
Not to mention that all unit shipments are re-usable infinitely once you reach the fifth age.

Ohmigod, fancy colour fading!
I blame these purple things.
GFWL: NilePenguin
GoldenShadow
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 12:03 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
you can only send them again once when you are at the last age.
XxEmperorxX
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 03:28 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
Even if you have only your 300 infinite sending time reasources, sending in 4 coin crates will supply you easily with 3 basicly free cannons, since massing cannons can easily run you out of gold fast.

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
V:Would you... dance with me?
Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
Leto
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 04:42 AM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
late game shipments is prob for wipe prevention / final push.

eg u get raped, send res / settlers over for instant econ restart. guy is just about dead, u send new units from HC to raze town.

generalising on my part

chumwarm
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 07:08 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
i find when i play against the comp i can pile up to 7 or 8 shipments late game, before going for an uber final push, say 35 lb 10 hussars and 25 musks all coming out aat same time.

Then again i'm a cronic boomer

'I think we agree, the past is over.' - George Bush, Half-Wit
'The atmosphere here is so tense that you could cut it with a cricket stump' - Murray Walker, Motor Racing Legend
'For Winford Park please take the previous junction' - Irish Road Sign
'My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is.' - Ellen DeGeneres, Actor
'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.' - Mahatma Gandhi
Insane Sheep
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 02:23 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
I usually end up with 3-4 cards at the end because I've already double sent all my units. It's kinda annoying.

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
"The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.
Stephan Hill
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 02:41 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
Most multi games are not supposed to last long enough for you to have sent all your shipments (i.e. under 45 min)
Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 04:46 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
If you are in the Industrial Age, and you have some 5000 or more of each resource, just advance to the Imperial Age. The age advancement lets you re use most of your shipments.

Also, the shipments may come in more handy as you research the high powered technologies that cost in the thousands. Don't forget to upgrade Infantry, Cavalry, and Siege!

-Toy

I reject your reality, and substatute my own!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames