You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The Importance of Naval Power
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Importance of Naval Power
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
The_Soul
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 04:04 PM EDT (US)         
In the demo, we havent had a chance to test naval power because the AI Doesnt build combat ships and of the 2 maps, only one has water.

I was wondering if in the full game, Building a mighty fleet will help you alot in maps. Not just Carribean maps, but maps with rivers, bays, ect.

Anyone know if we will see lots of naval battles?

AuthorReplies:
Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 04:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31       
Well considering the amount of resources you can gain from fishing, I would say that it will be very important as whoever controls the seas will have a resource advantage.
ParCorn
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 05:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31       
The navy is going to be important in this game. I'm not sure, but I think its the frigate that you can build men on? Thats like a mobile forward base. Monitors are like giant super-mortars. Can't caravels fish and fight? the ships are going to pwn, and with their huge size, there are going to be awsome naval battles.

Highlight The Flag and It turns Black!
################
################
################
################
################
################
Philbo1
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 05:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31       
Massive naval battles for me=massive lag for anyone playing me on ESOII

The RoL forum colors make me sooo hungry.
-Unit Costs for 5-Philbo1-Explorer Micro-
B_E looks like a demented evil smiley.-Botolf

Stonewall Pwns
dupsky
Banned
posted 10-08-05 05:58 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31       
i like naval battles, not every game but as a change of pace once in a while they are fun.
ParCorn
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 06:13 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31       

Quote:

not every game but as a change of pace once in a while they are fun.

Me too
I don't think ships aren't strategically key, however they can be part of a strategy. One might make a whole bunch of foot soldiers and monitors, have the monitors blow the hell out of stuff while the soldiers hurt people. Or peopl could not have ships and just use cannons. But you can't go through a whole game and win by making ships and ships and ships only. It only works one way.

Highlight The Flag and It turns Black!
################
################
################
################
################
################
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 07:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31       
I think the ship size is amazing and all, but I think it kind of takes away the purpose of a navy if you have one monster ship. Besides, they suck like crap against land units, a falconet or two by the shore can reduce any vessel in a few shots.
Chris Poietas
Skirmisher
(id: Heirkles)
posted 10-08-05 07:30 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31       
I still get a kick with blowing fishing boats out of the water with Caravels. I can't wait for the full game - if only my computer had the specs for big naval battles.

In terms of looking to the future, i think a hunnic type of barbarian maybe turkic should sweep over Northern Europe just to create some activity of the region. I mean Sweden has been left out of a good solid fight for way to long as far as im concerned. Maybe a Hunnic Foreign Hoarde similar in practice to the French Foreign Legion. So they can recruit internationally, their base could be Turkmekistan.
EPHESTION
Insane Sheep
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-05 07:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31       
I think that one key reason to have naval superiority is the ridiculous range of the Monitor special attack. They can take down a Fort half way across the map in three shots without upgrades on either side and if you get the increased naval build limit and have the ressources (noting that all three monitors would cost 2400 wood and 1800 gold), three can level one in a single volley; destroy economic buildings; destroy Outposts, walls and training centers; and in general be one hell of a pain in the ass. Plus the ability to rapidly move units, or even provide mobile training centers (Galleon-class) is incredibly useful. Not to mention the ressource advantage.

However, as with any one class of unit, it won't win the game for you no matter how many you build.

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
"The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.
Octavian_AGE3H
Skirmisher
(id: Octavian_3009)
posted 10-09-05 01:06 AM EDT (US)     9 / 31       

Quoted from Insane Sheep:

They can take down a Fort half way across the map in three shots

That's why they're my favorite type of ship.
Xonfox_Strytiz
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 01:29 AM EDT (US)     10 / 31       
In AoE, you needed seperate ships for transport and fightin. And addiotionally villagers to build a forward base. In AoK3, you can just build a warship, get couple of units in it, move it to a suitable location near enemy coast, and build more army in ship and deploy your army to enemy coast.
avengerwarboss
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 02:01 AM EDT (US)     11 / 31       
am I the only one who think that the ships animations are sucks?
the ships move in a second from standing to moving at full speed. and there is no wave when the shi[ is moving. it's like a ghost ship. another thing it the whole ship is on the water. usually ships are a bit in the water.
I know that it is not the topic here but it makes me angry that after 3 years or making hey cannot do this small thing right.
Musket Man
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 02:22 AM EDT (US)     12 / 31       
Navies can be very important and if not vital at least be a good addition. With the ability to not only fish for food but for coin too, I would not be surprised if they became a part of many people's strats.

btw: There is a pretty big topic on ship movement and the matter so just search for it.(To Above Poster)

Musket Man: Inefficiently fighting crime with a musket since 1565!

(\**/)<-Crown your bunny!
(O.o )
(> < )

[This message has been edited by Musket Man (edited 10-09-2005 @ 02:24 AM).]

afcomm
Banned
posted 10-09-05 04:38 AM EDT (US)     13 / 31       
I'M SO COOL CUZ I PIRET GAMEZ

[This message has been edited by Doitzel (edited 10-09-2005 @ 06:55 AM).]

Vortexian
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 04:49 AM EDT (US)     14 / 31       
Off topic:watch out! afcomm is "promoting" a pirated game!

Exploring Strategist of the dutch
Juncal
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 07:41 AM EDT (US)     15 / 31       
no, your an idiot cause you pirate games!!
doitzelkaiseriii
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 07:43 AM EDT (US)     16 / 31       
He didn't say that, I was mocking him.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Juncal
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 07:48 AM EDT (US)     17 / 31       
hahaha, well done!!

y haven't u banned him yet?

doitzelkaiseriii
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 07:51 AM EDT (US)     18 / 31       

Quote:

afcomm
Banned

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Vortexian
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 08:00 AM EDT (US)     19 / 31       
Also a fine addition to the naval warfare are the caravels, who can fish, but also attack. allthough they are waeker to the other ships, they can keep the enemy armada busy long enough for you to bring in a frigate.

Exploring Strategist of the dutch
oldboy ere
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 08:08 AM EDT (US)     20 / 31       
woah i never knew they could fish >.<
The_Assimilator
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 08:59 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31       
Yes, they can. Someone said that they thought it was frigates who train units, its not, its the galleon.

Speaking of which, a galleon will pwn a caraval in one-on-one fights, but will lose about 50% hp, so 5 caravals* should be able to take care of a few Galleons.

* the Admrilty card allows you to build more ships: 4 extra caravals = 9, 3 extra galleons = 6, 2 extra frigates = 5, and one extra monitor = 3)

[This message has been edited by The_Assimilator (edited 10-09-2005 @ 09:00 AM).]

Leto
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 09:30 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31       
on easy u can use monitors to bomb the AI from afar. quite entertaining when u're bored.

i would assume ships does play a role because where there's resources there's ur enemy to stop u getting the res. I dunno if that applies to rivers since settlers doesn't seem to be able to fish anymore but i suppose sticking a ship in the middle of a pass is a good thing

extra guns = extra firepower = good thing

Insane Sheep
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 03:45 PM EDT (US)     23 / 31       
Vortexian and Assimilator, actually, the broadside attack from the Caravels is pretty devastating. One on one, a Caravel and a Galleon would still end in a Galleon, but if you used Broadside (as any naval commander should), the Galleon would probably drop to a much lower health than 50%.

They also make terrible delay units for the same reason, broadside rips through ships like a hot knife through margarine (if I'm not mistaken the base attack is 150 for broadside, with a *5 multiplier against ships, which becomes *6 with Percussion Lock tech).

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
"The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.

[This message has been edited by Insane Sheep (edited 10-09-2005 @ 03:59 PM).]

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 03:47 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31       
Well, suppose you used Broadside on a fishing boat before you knew a mammoth galleon was just beyond LOS...
Insane Sheep
Skirmisher
posted 10-09-05 04:00 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31       
That's true, but why would someone use Broadside on a fishing Boat?

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames