You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.27 replies, Closed
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The Chinese in the New World?
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Chinese in the New World?
brianc0220
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 12:44 PM EDT (US)         
there is a type of mercenary in aoeIII called Manchu, which is a mounted archer from China. However, since when did the Chinese come to the new world?(except the railroad workers) isnt it a little bit redicuious
AuthorReplies:
Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 10-10-05 12:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27       
I believe the term is artistic lisence.

Also Gamplay > Reality.

Also there are many other nations in the game that never made it to america, for exaple the otoomans never made it to america, however are in the game as a playable civ, nd there are japanese mecinarys, and i dont think they made it to the new world either.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]

[This message has been edited by fred_ernie (edited 10-10-2005 @ 12:50 PM).]

brianc0220
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 12:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27       
i smell an expansion pack with europeans conquering asian civilizations
Heron
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 01:01 PM EDT (US)     3 / 27       
Actually there were a lot more Chinese in America than you might think. There were the railroad workers and, and many of the people hunting for gold in the west were Chinese immigrants, although this is true that they never had any significant military power in the new world.

"If one is to understand the great mystery, one must look at all its aspects, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi."

Official Head Hauncho of the AoE3H Dating Thread, as decreed by Custergrant

brianc0220
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 01:04 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27       
yea but i never saw a group of Manchus attacking an european settlements in the New World, nor did i read anything about hiring Chinese to fight in America
Vortexian
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 01:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27       

Quote:

I smell an expansion pack with asian civs fighting back!

Exploring Strategist of the dutch
brianc0220
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 01:08 PM EDT (US)     6 / 27       
um...you know how the chinese got pwned by the brits in opium war? totally owned there
Steel_Cat
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 01:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27       
It's been speculated that the Chinese were in the new world before Europe, although I doubt this.

There was a KQED show on the topic, which covered the voyages of one dynasty which led Chinese sailors to Africa and back.

A national Geographic article covered this as well. Chinese ships were literally circumnavigating the worl 1000yrs before anyone else.

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive
WH_demoneyekyo
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 01:32 PM EDT (US)     8 / 27       
brianc, u seem a bit racist.

Quote:

I think u got that around. just look at the major power today. is already obvious china is already the superpower.

no offense, but the way u guy handle katrina & Iraq, kinda give us a sense of how strong the US truely is.

Stop spamming! No one care about ur damn post count!
brianc0220
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 01:40 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27       
sry WH_demoneyekyo, but i am chinese
i am just telling the truth tho, on how the chinese got own by the brits in the opium war, and how europeans pwning other civilizations in the east. i didnt say the Asians cant fight back, i am also hoping u can actually use the Asian civ to counter the Europeans. anywayz, the expansion pack takes place in Asia will be good considering the huge gaming market in Asia right now

[This message has been edited by brianc0220 (edited 10-10-2005 @ 01:43 PM).]

Obi_Kwiet
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 01:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27       

Quote:

brianc, u seem a bit racist.

What, someone's racist when they quote a battle where non-white people loose? That's just sad.
Devon_
Skirmisher
(id: Lord Devon)
posted 10-10-05 02:03 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27       
An expansion featuring the west pwning the east would be awesome.

About Manchu archers: AoE3 is all about "what-ifs", what if China opened it's doors or got more politically involved in north America, what if the ottomans wanted to come to the new world?

WH_demoneyekyo: You're a goddamn retard. Lurk more.

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
EE Talon
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 02:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 27       

Quote:

However, since when did the Chinese come to the new world?(except the railroad workers) isnt it a little bit redicuious

They came here in 1421. Actually, between 1421 and 1423, the treasure fleets traveled almost everywhere on earth, except for Antartica. Ever wonder why Asiatic horses and chickens were all across North and South America before Europeans ever thought of coming here? And where did Columbus et. al. get their maps? Yep, from China. They didn't discover anything, they were following Chinese maps.

Talanos | AoM + AoE3H's former Unofficial Angel
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
FPHMSNITtalon@transalt.com
frhyme
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 02:19 PM EDT (US)     13 / 27       
Chinese are mighty nationalists :/

And will the expansion have Chinese as civ? Unfortunately they were not great power. They were side exploited if anything. I would say the expansion will have new civs as Sweden, Austria, Italia, and Japan =D

Stephan Hill
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 02:20 PM EDT (US)     14 / 27       
Only the Ottomans will get that merc, and the Ottomans aren't going to come to the New World either.
Insane Sheep
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 02:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 27       
The Russians kicked the Mongolians arses back to their steppes a couple of times. There were also a bunch of wars against the Chinese in the late 1800's. That would be an interesting dimension in the Expansion pack.

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
"The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.
oldboy ere
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 02:57 PM EDT (US)     16 / 27       

Quoted from Obi_Kwiet:

What, someone's racist when they quote a battle where non-white people loose? That's just sad.

Thankyou!

i would class the ridiculous as something supernatural, for example say some sort of purple flying aquatic mammal. I mean its easily plausable even if it didnt happen and its interesting to see what it would be like to have the chinese or ottomans in america

[This message has been edited by oldboy ere (edited 10-10-2005 @ 02:57 PM).]

Mikaiu_UK
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 03:28 PM EDT (US)     17 / 27       
Brian is right, the Chinese were involved in the new world, and he's right about the opium war, the Chinese met defeat, and the British met dishonour, at attacking another nation over such a petty reason, and purely so they could get investments in tea. The British politions at the time were outraged. But as a result the Chinese Emperor at the time became a hero, and is still considered one by the Chinese to this day.
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 04:57 PM EDT (US)     18 / 27       
China was only start to break down its isolationist policies and open its doors to trade at this time. Having them as their own nation could be interesting... certainly they'd be a great late-gamer with larger-sized armies with better melee than European ones.

Also, Chinese immigration was big at this time as well... ever heard of the Chinese mining communities in the American west?

ichol
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 08:37 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27       

Quote:

I think u got that around. just look at the major power today. is already obvious china is already the superpower.

no offense, but the way u guy handle katrina & Iraq, kinda give us a sense of how strong the US truely is.

Wow and the way you phrased that gives us a sense of how weak your knowledge is.

XxEmperorxX
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27       
ROFLLZZZ china a super power.....lol

Thats why they have over 1 billion people in thier contry and cant even afford them all...they kill children because there is a limit to number of children around....real superpowers those bunny like chinese.

O and communism tells you anything. Communism with superpower in the same sentence is just plain stupidity.

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
V:Would you... dance with me?
Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!

[This message has been edited by XxEmperorxX (edited 10-10-2005 @ 09:12 PM).]

nice dictator
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:23 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27       
really? The term superpower originated from the cold war and it was used as a term describing electrics prior to that. So according to your logic, there was 1 superpower in the cold war.

The One child policy is largely ignored in the rural areas and the government doesnt kill any children. Extra children are simply unapplicable for government benefits like free education and cost more to their parents. This is of course beneficial in farming communities because more hands=more work.

Are you kidding me or have you lived under a rock? China's economy is the FASTEST growing of any major country, that and it being the largest country in population makes China a very likely Superpower. Chinas military is also growing and becoming advanced.

wikipedia defines superpower as:. "In modern terms, this may imply an entity with a huge economy, a large population, and strong armed forces, including air and space power and a considerable arsenal of weapons of mass destruction."

hmm...check, check, check, check, and check

"O! ye that love mankind!Ye that dare oppose not only tyranny but the tyrant, stand forth! Every spot of the Old World is overrun with oppression. Freedom hath been hunted round the globe. Asia and Africa have long expelled her. Europe regards her like a stranger and England hath given her warning to depart. O! receive the fugitive and
prepare intime an asylum for mankind."- Thomas Paine
what's the opposite of not sucking?"- Barbara Walters
"Yo Blair, how are you doin’?"-George W. Bush

[This message has been edited by nice dictator (edited 10-10-2005 @ 09:31 PM).]

Steel_Cat
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:31 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27       
I think this thread should be moved to a more political forum (one not on a gaming site).

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive
EliteNemesis
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:32 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27       
i am in no way a communist, but if communism is implemented correctly, and not in poor examples like the soviets, china, or cuba, then it could possibly work as a system of government and society.

anyways, as many other people have said, gameplay>realism. and why didnt u see the other things that clearly were not in mass in the Americas in the time period?

nice dictator
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:34 PM EDT (US)     24 / 27       
its a perfect system on paper but has never been applied correctly yes

"O! ye that love mankind!Ye that dare oppose not only tyranny but the tyrant, stand forth! Every spot of the Old World is overrun with oppression. Freedom hath been hunted round the globe. Asia and Africa have long expelled her. Europe regards her like a stranger and England hath given her warning to depart. O! receive the fugitive and
prepare intime an asylum for mankind."- Thomas Paine
what's the opposite of not sucking?"- Barbara Walters
"Yo Blair, how are you doin’?"-George W. Bush

[This message has been edited by nice dictator (edited 10-10-2005 @ 09:35 PM).]

kook
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:55 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27       
They are MERCENARIES, They are SHIPPED over. Sorry if I sound rude, jsut trying to get hte point across
Devon_
Skirmisher
(id: Lord Devon)
posted 10-10-05 10:34 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27       
We've gone from speculating that china reached the new world to acting like some of you are submitting essays to be the next Chinese propaganda minister.

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
Aro
AoKH Dictator
posted 10-10-05 11:14 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27       
Hopefully some of the replies in here answered your question -- it's all "what-if", just like the Ottomans taking interest in the new world and Prussia (Germany) taking part in government-supported colonization.

Since this has evolved into a flaming political debate, which doesn't belong here, I'm closing these. Feel free to continue any political debates in HG Main's Library.

Closed.

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames