You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Why did noone mentioned the "Player Level"?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Why did noone mentioned the "Player Level"?
unjugon
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 03:42 PM EDT (US)         
Everyone bothered about ESO2 not incorporating any type of rating system...and look now, a new term: "Player Level".

Thatīs it guys, the great mistery is now crystal clear, you can see how good a guy is by his "Player Level" (PL from now on), no matter how high his HC/s level are -as it should be.

*Source: Age3īs userīs manual.

EDit: damn, cant edit title, shows I am not a native english speaker.

My blog, for WC3 and AoE3 strats and articles:
http://unjugon.blogspot.com/
My stats:
http://ratings.myllclan.com/prt/SA/1/TkC/unjugon.jpg

[This message has been edited by unjugon (edited 10-10-2005 @ 03:47 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
nice dictator
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 03:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
how did you get a manual already?

"O! ye that love mankind!Ye that dare oppose not only tyranny but the tyrant, stand forth! Every spot of the Old World is overrun with oppression. Freedom hath been hunted round the globe. Asia and Africa have long expelled her. Europe regards her like a stranger and England hath given her warning to depart. O! receive the fugitive and
prepare intime an asylum for mankind."- Thomas Paine
what's the opposite of not sucking?"- Barbara Walters
"Yo Blair, how are you doin’?"-George W. Bush
unjugon
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 03:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
Itīs around the WWW already. I wonīt be one posting links tho.

My stats:
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 03:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
and dont start whiing its ilegal. i really dont see the problem as long as no links to it are posted.

it looks like rated games are just like non-rated, but rated :P, you can just choose map and opponents, wont that make it unfair?

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Byzantine2793
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
its a stratgy guide, that isnt illegal unless its copyrighted, it was liek that in aoc, basicly you choose who to fight, so basicly people put in point levels from ___ to _____

[This message has been edited by Byzantine2793 (edited 10-10-2005 @ 04:09 PM).]

Alizee
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 05:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
I have a feeling like many elements of ESOII that player level is influenced from Battle.Net which is fine, because I'd soo much rather see player level or just level, than HC level. It's not about how many pokepals you have, it's about how high a level they are. As for a comparison of HC level vs player level, although level is a bit easier, player level sounds goofy, but whatever works. 8 days grumble grumble.
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 05:19 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
Just as long as we can visibly see this player rating and not have the computer match us up according to this "supposed" rating system, ESOII will be fine.
ParCorn
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 05:20 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21       
^
Ya that was annoying.

Highlight The Flag and It turns Black!
################
################
################
################
################
################
WolfLord_Arctic
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 05:32 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21       

Quote:

it looks like rated games are just like non-rated, but rated :P, you can just choose map and opponents, wont that make it unfair?

If this is true, I am really going to hate the ESO2 ladder.

We all have our things about the new game that really frustrate us. What I really wanted was for rated games to be random map.

In AoM (no matter how noobish a game you think it is) you needed to learn all of the maps and all of the different builds for each map and opponent on that map.

It made the game deep, and made players think about what they were going to do.

It also made people want to play different civs, because each map could favor a different civ under different circumstances.

If the new ladder is based on games you set up, it wont interest me at all. Everyone might as well go back to Huns on Arabia. Maybe this game it will be Russia on the Great Plains. What a waste of the rest of the game, the rest of the maps and the rest of the matchups that might have been interesting if they didn't cave in and make rated games no different than advanced setup.

Anyone who is competetive will now be on the look out for the OP civ on a high hunt wide open map.

What a shame

LiquidRed
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 05:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
Uhm ur arguments suck ^^^

I like the rating thing because it makes the game more exciting.

Dumbest question of the week by windo master (Agecommunity):
'Do you get online when you buy the age of empires regular version not the collectors editon but the regular?'
Little_Wing
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 07:55 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
I agree with WolfLord_Arctic, rated play should be random map. I loved AoK, but rated play with the mandatory Arabia meant that one map defined the game. I really hope ES doesn't allow map picking or else one map will quickly become the standard and gameplay will be narrowed down.

If they do make rated players allowed to select maps I hope they at least try to encourage some variety by other means, for example scaling points awarded based on map popularity, so that players who play only 1-2 maps receive fewer points for games on those maps.

Little_Wing

Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea.
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 08:24 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
It's bad enough there's no random civ... No random map option? Where's the element of surprise?

Oh, and LiquidRed, I find YOUR arguement quite deep and thoughtful.

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 10-10-05 08:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
I don't remember any player levels..

unjugon
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:01 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
Page 65 in the manual:

"Home city level vs Player level

Home City Level: Determines the resources available to you during a game.

Player Level: Represents how well you currently play the game.
"

My stats:
Demolition Ship Captain
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:44 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
As far as I can see, the "Home City Level" determines what "cards" you can get (the ones you can send when you get experience) in the game.

I personally think that's a bad idea for multiplayer (if they allow usage of customized home cities), what's going to happen is everyone's going to just hack their savefile for the home city stuff and just max it out. For multiplayer, everyone should be on a level playing field, customizing what 'cards' you get is OK, but everyone should get the same cards, regardless of what home city level they are.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Preparation can only take you so far... After that you gotta take a few leaps of faith.
Elpea
Hal
posted 10-10-05 09:51 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
EDIT: Doh, Collector's Edition manual.

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 10-10-2005 @ 09:54 PM).]

TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 09:58 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
Can't hack your save file and keep it from going OOS... you think ES is noob

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

Demolition Ship Captain
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-05 10:03 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
TheGoodEvil.. that's not what I meant... I meant if multiplayer used locally stored home city files, you can modify it however you want (if it's on YOUR computer, you can do ANYTHING you want)

But anyways.. I have some new confirmed information that makes that irrelavent (a lot of questions can be answered by googling it).

For ESO Play, each ESO account has a home city tied to THAT ACCOUNT, which is stored on the ESO Server, so you CAN'T just modify it and you actually have to earn it..

Personally, I think that's NOT a good feature, I think for multiplayer, everyone should start with everything unlocked... new players are already at a disadvantage because their new, but now the advanced players actually get an ADDITIONAL advantage by being able to have better cards in game. I feel that this is not right.. BUT, it does offer one advantage, in that smurf accounts have to start off a level 1 home city and build it up again.. but I doubt that'll stop people from smurfing anyway.

--- oh and as for player level, that's just your rating, nothing special.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Preparation can only take you so far... After that you gotta take a few leaps of faith.

[This message has been edited by Demolition Ship Captain (edited 10-10-2005 @ 10:04 PM).]

Elpea
Hal
posted 10-10-05 10:28 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
I love the whole playing to unlock things on MP. You might not realize it, but it's really exciting to play and make plans which cards you'll get.

*is dying to level up his Spanish HC*.

Artosis
Skirmisher
posted 10-11-05 01:09 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
Demolition Ship Captain 100% exactly correctly said.

there needs to be some sort of competitive setting that can be used by anyone at any time, or LAN tournaments and high level competition won't work out so well.

Demolition Ship Captain
Skirmisher
posted 10-11-05 01:58 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
Actually.. If it doesn't take long to get a maxxed out "deck of cards" then it won't be so bad.. like if 10 - 20 hours of gameplay will get it for you, then that'd be good.. but if it takes like 3 - 4 months to max it out, then it becomes very unfair to the new players.

MockHamill
Skirmisher
posted 10-11-05 03:10 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
It surprises me how clueless some people are about the game when Ensemble has shared so much information.

About hacking your own home city:
The Home Cities that are used online are stored on Ensembles server, not on your computer. So they can’t be hacked. There are also restrictions so that you cannot get more then a certain number of experience points from a single game etc.

People just playing one map for rated games:
There are lots of different ladders. If someone decides to just play on the Texas map he will just compete on the "Texas ladder map". But he will be at the bottom of many other ladders. People who play lots of different maps will be ranked on more ladders.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames