You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Explorer Usefullness Tip
Bottom
Topic Subject:Explorer Usefullness Tip
catchafire92
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 09:24 AM EDT (US)         
In the early game, instead of collecting retarded treasures, maybe it is more useful to press shift (with the explorer(sp?) selected) and right click on multiple areas on the map for the explorer to explore. This way you can get back to managing the TC while the map is being revealed as well as key resources.
AuthorReplies:
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 09:41 AM EDT (US)     1 / 25       
what is the point of just way pointing your explorer? treasures are there to help you out if you take them, players that don't take them lose valuable xp

plus if you way point you may miss something like an enemy vil coming to forward build

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 09:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 25       
Waypoints are useful to explore the immediate vicinity around homebase at the start of the game.

Randomly clicking around the map does not accomplish much.

Krakken
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 09:53 AM EDT (US)     3 / 25       
Plus how gay is it when you run into the Spanish douche and his dogs, or a group of skirmishers and your explorer dies in the first 10 minutes? I always set my vils up and then go exploring with the explorer-- parking him somewhere safe when I have to build stuff or get more resources-- and then go back to exploring.

And the treasures get youaone up on the bitch computer AI who taunts you with their retarded little taunts like "HAHA I got the skunk pelts SUCKAH, I will rule this land so don't even TRY that stuff!!!111" Instead you're like "Whatevah! I do what I want! I got the skunk pelts so deal with THAT!!!" Damnable computer AI taunts...

catchafire92
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 10:00 AM EDT (US)     4 / 25       
Well, the XP is one thing but who really cares about getting 30 coins, or 20 wood?
Supremacy
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 10:03 AM EDT (US)     5 / 25       
You actually get more xp by revealing more of the map than you do by picking up the treasures. Ive tried it a lot to see which is quicker and revealing map is by far. Then after you reveal most of it go back and sort through the worthwhile treasures and pick them up.
Innovan
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 10:04 AM EDT (US)     6 / 25       
Killing off treasure guardians is a valuable source of experience points. Experience points lets you get Home City shipments.
Khaleb
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 10:44 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25       
Y, there are puny treasures like 30 coin, leave them if you think its a waste of time, but there are also boxes with 90 food or even 135 wood and that is a HUGE difference for the economy in the first 3 up to 5 minutes.
catchafire92
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 10:51 AM EDT (US)     8 / 25       
True, but it's a hassle trying to look for these treasures when you could be managing the TC a lot more effectively while revealing other resources/enemy base/native base on the map.
DJ Panfa
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 11:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 25       
I use my native scout to do the exploring. Is that a french only unit? I haven't played other nations yet.
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 11:47 AM EDT (US)     10 / 25       

Quote:

True, but it's a hassle trying to look for these treasures when you could be managing the TC a lot more effectively while revealing other resources/enemy base/native base on the map.

Or you could just learn to micro better and scout with dogs and find treasure and manage your TC at the same time. Its not that hard.

I always build 3 extra dogs early on and go for the biggest treasure immediately. I'm not sure how powerful the guardians will be in the full version but I'm sure 4 dogs and an explorer will take all but the toughest treasures down.

The extra treasure is more valuable when you consider that every one you collect is one less for your opponent to get.

I can manage my TC and find treasure with my explorer while exploring the map with 3-4 dogs pretty easily. Randomly shift clicking your explorer around the map and forgetting about him is bad tip to be giving, it is just laziness really. You should be constantly controling him, making sure you use him to the max of his abilities.

The native scout may be a french only unit, the spanish get a free dog though. I hear Dutch get envoys which are like a scout but british don't get any free scout...

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 10-18-2005 @ 11:49 AM).]

TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 11:53 AM EDT (US)     11 / 25       
nothing sucks more than having 40 coin when you need 50 for the foraging tech trust me a 20 coin boost may not sound "good" but i nreal time it really matters.

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

NightsDelusion
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 12:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25       
Don't forget you can find native healers, and settlers that will help you too. I find it hard to ignore treasures since WC3 was the last RTS I played.
alpine
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 12:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25       
That's one of the nice aspects of the civs that allow you two exploration units (The french get the indian the dutch get the envoy, might be another I'm forgetting)

ESO Name: Commodus
Coming soon to a theater near you...

[This message has been edited by alpine (edited 10-18-2005 @ 12:55 PM).]

Kr0n0s
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 01:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25       
Treasure's don't take too much micro... and most inter+ rts gamers will know to take every single advantage oportunity, no matter how small.

ESO2: Munch
Clan: [wW] Weekend Widowmakers
mgdpublic
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 01:12 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25       
What would be nice is being able to insert actions into the queue like an alt-waypoint for inserting an artifact capture in AOM.
mgdpublic
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 01:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25       

Quote:

You actually get more xp by revealing more of the map than you do by picking up the treasures. Ive tried it a lot to see which is quicker and revealing map is by far. Then after you reveal most of it go back and sort through the worthwhile treasures and pick them up.

I didn't know you got xp for revealing the map. Does this show up anywhere in the UI?

Innovan
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 01:25 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25       
> What would be nice is being able to insert actions into the queue like an alt-waypoint for inserting an artifact capture in AOM.

I do that all the time. Shift-click on each treasure guardian when the cursor is a sword, and shift-click on the treasure itself when the cursor turns to a treasure check. Your explorer will merily go on killing off the guardians in the order you told it to and recover the treasure, all while your attention is directed elsewhere.

I don't really use the explorer for exploring. I'll take the first couple sheep I discover and send them exploring the map. Then I'll sic the explorer to kill off treasure guardians and recover treasure. And still have time to manipulate the TC.

The shift key lets you queue ahead action clicks aplenty.

Keep in mind that you need to learn how the different treasure guardians work. Pirates for example can't be killed by any amount of dogs and conventional attack. They run away too fast and will lead your explorer across the map for hours. With pirates you have to use the special shot ability and wait out each timeout.

Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 01:33 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25       
Like TGE said, 20 coin boosts you a lot more than you would think

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Ceres629
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-18-05 01:50 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25       

Quote:

I didn't know you got xp for revealing the map. Does this show up anywhere in the UI?

You get XP for revealing map???????

wtf i never new that!

Tarkhan15
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-18-05 02:02 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25       
    i think it shows up at the end of the game. not sure.
    Ceres629
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-18-05 02:47 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25       
    No i mean as in XP towards shipments. So does it? I'm not at my gaming PC right now to test it.
    GoldenShadow
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-18-05 03:01 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25       
    No, you don't get XP for exploring the map.

There is a constant XP trickle that slowly goes up even if you aren't doing anything. but most of your early game XP comes from training villagers, building houses and killing treasure guardians. So getting an XP treasure can help out a lot.

fryBASS
    Skirmisher
    (id: LO12DS_Frylock)
    posted 10-18-05 03:05 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25       
    errr heres a good idea... as you explore around the map get the treasures.... simple as that, gee its not rocket science....
    superknijn
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-18-05 03:15 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25       
    You also get an XP boost at the end if you have the most treasures, and ofcourse also land explored.
    I don't know witch one gives the, however.

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) Corn for the Corn God!
    schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-18-05 03:17 PM EDT (US)     25 / 25       
    if you are dutch with envoy or spanish with wardog just let those do the exploring, and use explorer to get treasures

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames