You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Strategy Help (Food)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Strategy Help (Food)
Boll
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 12:19 PM EDT (US)         
This game rocks!

Anyway I have never been really good at RTS games. I played Rise of Nations when it came out but when I played multiplayer i always got destroyed. This game seems to be a lot easier lol.

I am having trouble with resourse managment. There are several options when it comes to getting food. What is the fastest way to get food? You can get it from hunting animals, mills, or raising livestock. Which one should I focus on. I noticed that 3 villagers choping trees can get 2x as much wood as 8 villagers on a farm in age II.

AuthorReplies:
BoloBouncer
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 12:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Livestock is the fastest, but you want to let them fatten up so you can get tons of food off them. Hunting is fast. Foraging is slowwwwwww. Mills can be upgraded, but they start kinda slow.

Vivir sin queso es morir - To live without cheese dip is to die
Spain will once again rule
Ryan's Blog

Age of Empires: The Musical Partake of my Ness Obsession Penny Arcade Does 'Age of Kings'

justiw
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 12:33 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
what I like to do is hunt all the nearby animals first. when they run out, I task the food villies to gather berries until I have enough wood to build the mill, or 2 depending on my number villies. Usually by the end I have 3 mills with 10 villies each and 3 villies on livestock. I find that 3 on livestock is pretty good as far as sheep fatten at about the same rate they gather, so they never have to wait for more sheep. This is with the brits using the card that improves livestock fattening and increasing food from herdables card (all in one card). Make sure you upgrade the mills as soon as you can, because they are slow. Also it helps to get any of the cards that boost food gathering rates.
Fwiffo del desierto
Skirmisher
(id: Fwiffo)
posted 10-18-05 12:46 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Livestock is the fastest, then hunting, then mills and berries. I think maintaining a constant stream of fattened livestock in lategame is going to be vital since it gathers so much faster than farming. I'm not sure how cost-effective livestock herding will be earlier in the game though.

I'm thinking right now that you should start off hunting (get the hunting techs in the market), then phase in livestock gradually while using mills somewhere inbetween as a way of making sure your vils are gathering food and not just sitting around waiting for animals to fatten or giving you 5000 extra wood that you don't need.

Everyone got AIDS and shit
Tarkhan15
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 01:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
hunt whatevers near your TC at the very start, then build a livestock pen, and keep doing sheep. Remember to keep 10 sheep feeding on it at all times, and remember you have to task villies on the fattened sheep each time. Farms are ok, but only if you hate micro.
scipio_africanus
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 01:52 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       

Quote:

remember you have to task villies on the fattened sheep each time

Are you sure?

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 01:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
You don't have to task them, they automatically go to the next fattened sheep/cow.

Also farms are essential for a constant source of food. You need both farms and pens. Either one on its own is just not gonna work.

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 10-18-2005 @ 01:55 PM).]

Caboto
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 02:05 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Hmm, I thought hunting would be fastest like the other AOE/AOM games. Is there a link to the gather rates for AOE III?

Thanks

Hope_
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 02:10 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Settlers

crates : 8.00/sec
Tree : 0.50/sec
Mill : 0.67/sec
Gold Mine : 0.60/sec
Plantation : 0.50/sec
Herdable : 3.00/sec
Huntable :0.84/sec
BerryBush :0.67/sec

The Coureur

crates : 8.00/sec
Tree : 0.62/sec
Mill : 0.84/sec
Gold Mine : 0.74/sec
Plantation : 0.63/sec
Herdable : 3.75/sec
Huntable : 1.04/sec
BerryBush : 0.83/sec

Fishing Boats

Fish : 0.67/sec
Beluga (gold): 0.50/sec

Caboto
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 02:58 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Thanks Hope,

I seem to recall seeing another type of Settler for one of the civs which was a cart of some kind. Are there any stats on that guy, or is it the same as the other settlers with a different graphic?

Thanks again!

superknijn
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 03:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
I think you mean the German Settler Wagon.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Corn for the Corn God!
Caboto
Skirmisher
posted 10-18-05 03:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Sounds like the right one.

So does anybody know the gather rates for these guys, or where I could find out?

Thnx

[This message has been edited by Caboto (edited 10-19-2005 @ 09:41 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames