You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » No technology tree? :(
Bottom
Topic Subject:No technology tree? :(
neinnunb
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 09:26 AM EDT (US)         
Im surprised the game doesnt have an in-game tech tree for us to study. This was very useful in the previous games to see what civ had what unit and see the overall structure of units, buildings and technologies. It was also in Galactic Battlegrounds.

Any plans to add one in a patch?

Creator of Eastern European Castle mod pack
AuthorReplies:
Victor Petrini
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 09:43 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17       
I only played the demo, but you're right, there isn't a tech-tree.Pitty!It was probably omitted because the civs in AOE3 are very similar, and if you saw the tech-tree you would have had a pretty bad impression about the imagination of the designers.

Another problem is that you can't see the unit attributes (hp, attack, armor...) only that of enemy units when you click on them. (probably to hide the fact that all "unique" units are the same, only the names differ)

[This message has been edited by Victor Petrini (edited 10-20-2005 @ 09:44 AM).]

shilly
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 09:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 17       
You can see the stats, just click on a unit, and look at the richt part of the UI. You should see two tabs there, click on the bottom one and behold: your unit's stats
johnn
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 10:03 AM EDT (US)     3 / 17       
I sure hope it will come in a patch. The tech tree is one of the things that make age games great.
The_Assimilator
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 10:09 AM EDT (US)     4 / 17       

Quote:

You can see the stats, just click on a unit, and look at the richt part of the UI. You should see two tabs there, click on the bottom one and behold: your unit's stats

The only thing it DOESN'T show, is details of what unit counters what. e.g. Used against blah blah blah. Counter with blah blah blah blah. Bonus damage vs blah blah blah blah.

Those stats are missing. also, in the new demo i cant get the unit history panel to apear.

Victor Petrini
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 11:46 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17       
Thanks! I didn't notice that.
MockHamill
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 11:54 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17       
Most of the technologies in AOE III are in the Home City. So if you add the standard technologies and the home city technologies the number of techs is much larger then in AOK.

Still it would be a bit hard showing a standard tech tree since the techs are split between standard technologies and home city technologies.

[This message has been edited by MockHamill (edited 10-20-2005 @ 11:59 AM).]

Dagobert
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 12:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17       
Mockhammill is right, the tech tree is mostly in the Home City.

The only way to see all the cards available to your civ is when you press on "choose new cards" in the "manage Home City" interface.

Could be nice to have this information in game, for all civs, as it was the case in AOE2. But as you never know what is the exact deck of your opponent, it would not be that useful.

But having the basic tech tree of each civs (regular buildings, what units they can produce, would be interesting). Just there, you already see some originality. (You see unique units, which units a given civ have or don't have, ...)

GUNS_N_ROSES
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 12:06 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17       
You can see the unit stats by just pressing "ALT" while you have the unit selected.
Dagobert
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 12:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17       
Pressing alt to see FULL unit stats just work with the regular UI.

Using the minimized UI, you don't see all the stats. Unfortunately, the missing stat are the most important one ( range, attack, defense)

I prefer the graphic with the small interface, but to get all the information available, I play with the large UI.

fatookit
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 06:56 AM EDT (US)     10 / 17       
it is because the technology tree always change with home city cards. it is too difficult to make a tech tree in aoe3.
ison
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 08:15 AM EDT (US)     11 / 17       
I dont think is hard to make ...maybe time consuming but not hard

As i imagine it you could have the tech tree of units f.e. and right by next of the unit ALL the cards that affect the unit in ANY way (i dont know how this could be done graphically but im sure there are people with imagination to do it)

Anyway im planning to do a full tech tree for French when i get the time...ill be sure to post it here when its done

Im thinking on doing it in excel ...any other suggestions?

StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 11-16-05 02:58 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17       

Quote:

It was probably omitted because the civs in AOE3 are very similar

Kidding, Right? Then civs are very different, that is why there's only 8 of them. They all have a few unique units and different hc cards and such and different bonuses. They are very different.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Innovan
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 03:04 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17       
The Collectors Edition has a fold out graphical version of the tech tree.
DarkAge
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 03:08 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17       

Quote:

The Collectors Edition has a fold out graphical version of the tech tree.

So does the normal version.

king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 03:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17       
For the most part, YOU create the tech tree.

xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17       
I am working on it.
I posted a pic in topic online civilization chart over at agesanctuary.com
I cannot post pics here.
Robokku
Skirmisher
posted 11-17-05 10:07 AM EDT (US)     17 / 17       

Quote:

As i imagine it you could have the tech tree of units f.e. and right by next of the unit ALL the cards that affect the unit in ANY way (i dont know how this could be done graphically but im sure there are people with imagination to do it)

dustin has made a nice app showing all cards that affect a specified unit.
(http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,26145,0,10)

And good luck xentelian, I'm looking forward to it.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames