You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Host replay option REALLY needs changing
Bottom
Topic Subject:Host replay option REALLY needs changing
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 10-22-05 07:45 PM EDT (US)         
I think it's the worst feature of ESO2 (besides not having a real ladder)... some games are simply pwnage but end up not being recorded because it isn't default... I have absolutely no idea why this is the way it is and I really think it's a poor way to go about it.

There have been at least 4 games that I played in that were worth posting (and no i didn't win them all) but either I forgot to click the record option or the host didn't check it... I HATE it...

Also why does it need to "save replay" when the game starts?

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

AuthorReplies:
ParCorn
Skirmisher
posted 10-22-05 07:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
I agree, the game should automatically be recorded and then at the end of the game anyone who wants to save it can.

Highlight The Flag and It turns Black!
################
################
################
################
################
################
Errand
Skirmisher
posted 10-22-05 09:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
It's more like "whole replay system REALLY needs changing!!!" The worst feature so far in AOE3, IMO.

I mean, why not record all games and allow every player to choose whether or not to keep the rec at the end, and allow him to give it a NAME (genius, isn't it?) the same way wc3 does?

Why not show chat in rec games?

Why not show unit stats in rec games?

Why not show research/creation progress in rec games?

Why not show the player's HC, deck&shipment progress in rec games (NOTE: You can see all that stuff on ESO anyway, not like they're trying to hide anything).

Why make rec games if you leave out all that stuff?

If it's coming right at you, duck.
BoloBouncer
Skirmisher
posted 10-22-05 09:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
A really good example is actually Battlefield 2 multiplayer recordings. They automatically record all the games on the servers and leave them up for download whenever you want.

Vivir sin queso es morir - To live without cheese dip is to die
Spain will once again rule
Ryan's Blog

Age of Empires: The Musical Partake of my Ness Obsession Penny Arcade Does 'Age of Kings'

RoxUrWorld
Skirmisher
posted 10-22-05 09:20 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
I totally agree with everything that's been mentioned above. Recorded games contribute greatly to the lasting appeal of a RTS game and from what I see, the recorded system in AOE3 was totally rushed. I mean host choosing to save a recorded game at the start? That's totally stupid. Not showing research progress and stuff? If it is so, what's the point of a recorded game? We watch a recorded game to see how a player makes his decisions so as to learn from them, a recorded game is not a movie.

Ah.. recorded chat. That would be a nice feature too

Change is inevitable, except in certain vending machines..
topace3k
Skirmisher
posted 10-22-05 09:37 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
agreed! Re-enacting my best game for a friend by drawing out the manuevers and tactics on a piece of paper is far from ideal...
Belerofon
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 02:20 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Yep, I agree too.

YOu cant even freakin load another recorded game after watching one. You have to go back to the mein screen, options/help and then load from there....thats just freaking poor.
And pretty much everything that has been said in here is true too.

So ES please listen to us. Or at least post here and tell us why the hell you havent dont much about recorded games!!!

Dont worry, be happy.
Zeppelinite
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 02:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
I agree and Disagree. I do sympathize with you guys, and I would like a better system, but recorded games simply aren't a huge part of how I play. I feel that you learn more from playing another game than mulling over an old one. BUT, don't flame me, because as far as entertainment value goes, rec games are great.
Thats my opinion, and I'm stickin to it
Fwiffo del desierto
Skirmisher
(id: Fwiffo)
posted 10-23-05 02:42 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Biggest problem with ESO2 is that you can't see if your friends are playing, hosting, in a game, afk, etc. It's just online or offline.

I'm not finding rec games a huge annoyance right now. Maybe when I'm actually half-decent I'll want to record my games

Everyone got AIDS and shit
HexHammer
Banned
posted 10-23-05 05:07 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
I can only say

You played u'r game of u'r life, and it wasn't recorded ><

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 05:12 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12       

Quote:

I agree and Disagree. I do sympathize with you guys, and I would like a better system, but recorded games simply aren't a huge part of how I play. I feel that you learn more from playing another game than mulling over an old one.

Its not a huge part of how you play but its a huge part of how others play, including me.

Its weird that it saves replays at the start if thats the case, but once you enable it doesn't it stay on 'save replay'? Or do you have to do it for EVERY game?

pv1979
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 05:30 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Zeppelinite: you can compare the rec option with the notation of moves in chess. It is idiotic that you can`t decide yourself if you want the game recorded or not. IT`S YOUR OWN GAME!

You can learn to play the by watching recs of experts, you can watch your own recs and ask yourself the question: what can I improve, and you can watch recs just to relax a moment, on an sunday morning..... for the fun of strategy in action....

The rec UI in AOC was better than in AOM (i never watched Titan recs, didn`t like the expansion....).

/Undiminished vegetarian/

My favorite comedy sites: www.whitehouse.org; www.comedycentral.com; www.landoverbaptist.org

Good, informative television on the internet: www.democracynow.org... & I`m still listening to www.harrisradio.com

[This message has been edited by pv1979 (edited 10-23-2005 @ 05:31 AM).]

Belerofon
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 06:42 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
Record Games are am important part of the game. Maybe to some people its not that important but to most its very important, thats just a fact.

You watch a rec for different reasons. For example you lost a game and you want to learn from your mistakes or you played a really great game and you want to know what you did right so you can keen that level of skill. Or just for the fun part, to watch others and learn from them and just enjoy the rec.

The fact is that ES should have added more options regarding rec games and hopefully they will with a patch or something.

Dont worry, be happy.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames