Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Hot Air Balloons
Bottom
Topic Subject:Hot Air Balloons
Insane Sheep
Skirmisher
posted 10-22-05 11:58 PM EDT (US)         
Alright, so I just leet haxxored my game to get a level 106 homecity for the purpose of experimentation. One of the first things which I thought would be rather neat was the "Hot Air Balloon" card. I was thoroughly disappointed. Their speed and duration is such that they serve little if no purpose at all on the battlefield. In their duration they can move about the range of a mortar shell, if maybe a bit longer (I'm almost certain it wasn't shot down, I didn't see any units in the area before it went down). While it does represent a possibility as a spotter for Monitor strikes or raids, the proximity to the target you need to get the Explorer too almost insures that you are going to have to ransom him back to your base, or launch an even more expensive rescue operation. I personally think it's a useless card and I'm glad I didn't waste a hard earned card getting it.

On a more minor detail, when you are confirming cards, unit cards especially, the white coats they are usually sporting in the thumbnail pictures disappear, leaving only black.

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
"The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.

[This message has been edited by Insane Sheep (edited 10-22-2005 @ 11:59 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Supremacy
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 01:07 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
I have hot air balloon card and its really nice. You arent suppost to move them all over the map you make it appear where you want then drive it a bit if that. They are great for scouting enemy cities for weak areas to attack or to spot out a place to build a fort or a forward base. You can also spy on enemies to see what units they are making to counter them. You can use it as much as you want and it recharges rather fast. If they had longer duration and speed it would be extremely unfair and stupid because you could let them chill over enemy city and watch everything they do.
MaxReality
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 01:12 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
I found when the football deflated over the enemy city, the explorer automatically went back to where he took off from, standing, with full health.

Im getting a sweater for christmas , I'd much rather have a screamer or a moaner ho! ho! ho!
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 10-23-05 03:06 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
I have them in my deck. Sincerely, up to level 23, it's like the second most useful card on my deck.

I can ALWAYS tell when the enemy is making a fort (time for a little assault ) or what kind of troops they're training so I can make counters. All my allies really love the sort of intel I get from these baloons, and how often they come about.

So yea, I don't know what you're talking about but I <3 them

Supremacy
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 03:10 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
In response to MaxReality: the explorer isnt in the balloon himself, its a totally separate unit. After he deploys it he can go on and do whatever he wants thats why you may think he apears back where he was with full health because he actually never moved.
Aro
AoKH Dictator
posted 10-23-05 03:45 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Every game, LP always makes them, and they help a lot for scouting out enemy defenses and figuring out what units to strike your enemy with. I can safely say he would suck without that card. You just have to learn to use it correctly and efficiently, so your scout is safe while being able to get the Balloon into the area you're about to attack.

(But if I hear Elpea say "I SPY!!!" one more time, I'm going to crack his adorable little head open.... -_-)

Your attractive master.
"Because I before E is a LIE!!!"

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 10-23-2005 @ 03:46 AM).]

Vortexian
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 04:41 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
One nice little detail. It can bring back fallen explorers when there aren't too many enemies around.

Exploring Strategist of the dutch
MaxReality
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 07:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10       

Quote:

In response to MaxReality: the explorer isnt in the balloon himself, its a totally separate unit. After he deploys it he can go on and do whatever he wants thats why you may think he apears back where he was with full health because he actually never moved.

So what your saying, is that in the colonial era we had remote aerial survailance vehicles and air superiority. Sounds like a master strategy,

But can it be shot down? There is a health bar so I presume yes?

Im getting a sweater for christmas , I'd much rather have a screamer or a moaner ho! ho! ho!
The_Assimilator
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 08:37 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Ranged infantry/towers/forts could probably shoot it down. Don't know about cannons/ships though. I don't have the mod that enables cards abouve level 9, so my demo HC is stuck at 9.
GoldenShadow
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 10:05 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I've played with hot air balloons in the single player skirmish, and They can not be shot down. They only last for 15-20 seconds and move really slow. Their best thing is they reveal a huge LOS. The hot air balloon is a must if you plan on doing naval bombardment with monitors.
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 10:47 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10       

Quote:

lol.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames